3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2016 9:09 AM by trshaner

Lightroom Performance Issues with HDR's and Panoramas

Danie Bester

Lightroom CC steals my time!

Forgive me for ranting and venting out a bit, but I am seriously doubting Adobe's commitment towards us. The software performance seems to deteriorate with every new release.

I have a high-end 6th-Gen PC. Core i7 6700, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 950, 2GB Graphics Card with only Full HD Screens (Not even Retina, or 4K). I also have an M2 and SSD Hard Drive where I keep my Lightroom Cache and Catalogs.

I do architectural and interior photography and due to my Canon's weak dynamic range, I am forced to shoot 3 exposures in order to prevent banding when I shoot large, high-contrast areas, and cannot use flash. I often shoot panoramas, mostly only 3 frames using tilt-and-shift lenses. Then I combine the HDR's and thereafter make panoramas. I obviously prefer to work with DNG's for a consistent workflow and being able to fix White Balance afterwards and the tools Lightroom offer is just so perfect for what I need to do. However, after creating the HDR-Panos, I get the message.. "The image appears to be damaged". I believe the message is faulty since I can perfectly export, edit it in photoshop... So the faulty reporting is there, but my real problem comes after editing about 5-6 images; Lightroom become so slow, that it takes me almost 20 seconds to apply a healing brush! The healing-brushes lag like you can't believe. I found that disabling my graphics card helps a bit and I gain only a few seconds speed, by doing so. But it still takes way too long. I mean, with or without the Graphics Acceleration, a healing brush should really motor, having a monster CPU and sufficient RAM.

I found one solution, is to frequently restarting Lightroom or my PC when the editing starts lagging. Thereafter I can work again on about 10 images, after which I have to restart again! 

I've followed every single piece of advice I could found on the forums. Optimized Catalogs, Disable-Enable Graphics, having my Cache and Catalogs on separate SSD's, but nothing helps. Lightroom is just way too slow, and I wonder why we don't get any assurance from Adobe, or even acknowledgement that their software is up to no good! The interesting thing is that Lightroom rarely use more than 8GB of RAM when checking my performance monitor.

Now I would really like to know, whether upgrading my Graphics Card, will solve some of this lagging! As I said, I have a Geforce GTX 950, but will it make any difference if I get a 960, or 980? Or is it just wishful thinking? With my computer specs, I should have zero hassles?

Anybody out there from Adobe can give us some assurance that we should expect a solid update soon, because if not, I will probably have to jump ship and get back to a Tiff over DNG workflow, which believe me, I wouldn't want.

pano.jpg

• 1. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues with HDR's and Panoramas
          Shawn Marran

I can vouch for this, I've personally seen it slow to a crawl after a few minutes. Such a beast of a PC should not come even close to that amount of lag and wait time that's present. Would like to see Adobe address this issue.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues with HDR's and Panoramas
            Danie Bester Level 1

Okay, I got some feedback from another forum discussion. It will not help to replace my Graphics Card. Turning Graphics Acceleration on, as I experienced, will slow down brushes even more. https://forums.adobe.com/message/7990010#7990010

Back to square one; it seems Lightroom is a slouch and we will have to wait for Adobe to develop software architecture that can match our basic needs.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Performance Issues with HDR's and Panoramas
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Danie Bester wrote:

However, after creating the HDR-Panos, I get the message.. "The image appears to be damaged". I believe the message is faulty since I can perfectly export, edit it in photoshop...

This was confirmed by Adobe 3 months ago, but no solution to date: Lightroom bug: HDR-Pano.dng "The image appears to be damaged" with 2015.6 | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Danie Bester wrote:

I have a high-end 6th-Gen PC. Core i7 6700, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 950, 2GB Graphics Card with only Full HD Screens (Not even Retina, or 4K). I also have an M2 and SSD Hard Drive where I keep my Lightroom Cache and Catalogs.

Are you using dual-display (Second Window Loupe Full-Screen) and what resolution are these displays? What camera model files are you using and what are typical panorama image dimensions (EX-7200 x 3800)? What version of LR are you using (LR 6.6.1, CC 2015.6.1)?

Danie Bester wrote:

Lightroom become so slow, that it takes me almost 20 seconds to apply a healing brush! The healing-brushes lag like you can't believe. I found that disabling my graphics card helps a bit and I gain only a few seconds speed, by doing so. But it still takes way too long. I mean, with or without the Graphics Acceleration, a healing brush should really motor, having a monster CPU and sufficient RAM.

I just tested LR CC 2015.6.1 performance with a similar 9-shot HDR panorama using Canon 5D MKII 21 Mp raw files. I'm using a single 2560 x 1440 display, modest i7-860 processor, 12 GB memory, SSD system drive and HDD for pictures. With 'Use Graphics Processor' checked the Adjustment Brush and Spot Removal tool will be negatively affected as you've already discovered. The HDR Panorama I tested is 7192 x 3799 and using the Spot Removal tool in Heal mode it takes ~5 sec. to select a small area, reposition the sample area, and see the results. If you're seeing 20 sec. there's something wrong! If can you post a DNG copy of a 9-shot HDR Panorama with all of your settings applied to Dropbox or other file sharing site I'll see how it performs on my system. Go Library Menu> Metadata> Update DNG Preview & Metadata, which will write your Develop settings to the DNG file. Then upload it to the file sharing site and post the share link in a reply here.

You can speed-up the Adjustment Brush and Spot Removal tools by turning OFF the switch on the Detail panel:

With it in the OFF position the Spot Removal Heal tool lag went from ~5.0 Sec. to ~3.0 sec. Just remember to turn it back on when done.