5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 7:24 PM by haroldb36803890

Video jumps back and forth on Premiere Elements 14

haroldb36803890

I've upgraded to 14 on a laptop with Win 10 64-bit OS.  It has 16MB of RAM, 1TB HD.  I store the project's assets on an external drive (USB 3.0 connection)

It's part of the Photoshop/Premiere elements bundle.

I build videos using 1080p AVI files from a dashcam.  I also add MTS files from a camcorder, also 1080p.  I delete the audio track (who wants to listen to road noise?), replacing it with songs in MP3 files.  In short, I make road trip videos with a musical soundtrack.

After the upgrade, the video is jumping back and forth, and skipping.  It never did this using 13.  I'm using the correct preset when building a project.  I've tried creating a project from scratch instead of using pre-existing project files built in 13, but that doesn't work either.

This goes beyond the jerkiness of an unrendered timeline.  At least I could stop the playback and have the display catch up.  Now, the frames are being loaded out of sequence.  I'm about ready to ditch 14 and go back to 13.  Maybe find something else.  Are there any solutions to this problem?

• 1. Re: Video jumps back and forth on Premiere Elements 14
          terrys30580497 Level 3

The MP3's may be causing it. Try disabling the audio track and see if it will play smoothly.

.wav is usually the best format for audio while editing.

If the jerkiness stops without audio I would convert the MP3 to .wav.

It mostly variable bit rate mp3's that create the problem in my experience.

Regards,Terry

• 2. Re: Video jumps back and forth on Premiere Elements 14
            haroldb36803890 Level 1

I could try it.  But why did it work in 13?  It never complained.  And I still get the same problem pulling in a single AVI file all by itself.

• 3. Re: Video jumps back and forth on Premiere Elements 14
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Why ask why? It just is.

Terry is right. For some reason, some MP3s put a drag on some projects.

Using exclusively WAV files for your audio will eliminate that possible bottleneck.

• 4. Re: Video jumps back and forth on Premiere Elements 14
                haroldb36803890 Level 1

I tried deleting the audio track, but it did not work.

I tried creating a single-clip project with no audio, but it did not work.

The video was still dancing like Fred Astaire with a sprained ankle.  Frames were still skipping forward and backward.  Ten frames forward, five frames backward. (Not those exact proportions, but it'll give you an idea.)  It was playing hopscotch with my video assets.

It never did this under PME 8 and 13.

All is not lost, though.  I am now confident that, in the end, any video files and DVDs created from these projects will have the frames written out in correct sequence without compromising speed.  Playback will be smooth.  Even using .mp3 files in the soundtrack.  I just did the one thing that I never had to do before.  Render the timeline.  That's why I think that the final assembled product will work.  It renders the frames anyway when saving to a playable file.  D'oh!!!!!

It'll take a while to render a full video project, but if I click the Render button in the morning, it'll be ready in the evening.

Thank you for your help.  Have a great day.

• 5. Re: Video jumps back and forth on Premiere Elements 14
                  haroldb36803890 Level 1

I spoke too soon.  The final saved .mp4 file has all kinds of jumps in it.

I'm going to chalk it up to it being a bug in 14, and go back to 13 until it gets fixed.  At least I know that version works.

The same thing happens even with straight .avi files, with no additional sound tracks and no additional effects.  The score is lower than it is unrendered, but still greater than zero.  It seems odd that a new release requires going through extra hoops that weren't needed with previous versions (8 and 13).