1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 10, 2016 8:41 PM by Gutter-Fish

How to make a checkerboard with videos

danielum

Hey, I've recently installed After Effects and I'm excited about it, but I'm very confused in terms of the workflow and how the general layout of the software.

I have 2 videos that I want to play out at the same time, but have them be transposed onto each other and alternate in a checkerboard pattern.

***I want to stress that I don't want the entire frame of a video to be in each square, but that the videos are cut into squares and both of their entire frames take up the space of the whole screen.***

Here's an example. Like the background of the image, but in video form.

How would I accomplish this? Is there a way to make the grid of the pattern exact and automate it? I've been trying to figure out how to use masks and tried to cut out boxes of one video so that the other clip behind it is revealed, thus creating the pattern, but I became frustrated as I couldn't even figure out how to cut a portion of the video. I apologize if what I'm asking for is easily found in the manual, but I've tried to look up how to do the tasks and actions I want to do and I've been constantly roadblocked. This is something that I really want to get done and any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to make a checkerboard with videos
          Gutter-Fish Level 4

It's simple.  OK, you have your two video layers one on top of the other.  Directly above the top layer create a layer with a black and white checkerboard pattern.  Set the TrkMat switch of the layer directly beneath the checkerboard to Alpha Matte or Alpha Matte Inverted.  If you don't see the TrkMat column in your timeline panel hit the "toggle switches/modes" button down at the bottom.