4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2016 4:36 PM by rickf43794680

Laptop for 4k Video Editing - More RAM vs Better Gfx Card

rickf43794680

Hi guys,

I have the chance to get 2 Laptops for the same price.

One of them has a Geforce 970M with 6Gb and 32Gb RAM and the other a higher end 980M with 8Gb and 16Gb RAM.

Considering I'm gonna edit mostly 4k, which of these would benefict my workflow more ? I do use color grading, denoise ocasionally and some other simple fx.

Can I assume the laptop with 16Gb RAM would fall slightly behind in Rendering Times but would be much better in terms of real time preview ? (This is where I've been having most issues in my desktop and I believe it's related to having a poor Gfx Card, since I have a Rig with an I7 6700k and 32Gb RAM  DDR5 3600Mhz but the gfx card is a Geforce GT740 with 2gb RAM (bottleneck?).

• 1. Re: Laptop for 4k Video Editing - More RAM vs Better Gfx Card
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i would also recommend finding a laptop with a gtx 1060 to better handle 4k color grading. the gtx 1060 in both laptop and desktops are suppose to perform similar, which is why nvidia dropped the "m" from the mobile version names. the gtx 1060 is somewhere around 60-70% faster than the gtx 980m.

the gt 740 in your desktop computer is very weak and most likely a bottleneck. if you are also doing 4k color grading on the desktop computer, you might want to look into upgrading it to a gtx 1060 6gb.

• 2. Re: Laptop for 4k Video Editing - More RAM vs Better Gfx Card
            rickf43794680 Level 1

RoninEdits thanks for your feedback.

I will try to get a laptop with a 1060 instead in that case if it makes so much difference for 4k color grading. I thought it wouldn't since it doesn't have that many more Cuda cores than 980M and the RAM on the  980M is actually superior (8Gb).

ALso, between having 32Gb RAM compared to 16Gb RAM or a better gfx card, is it better to have a better gfx card and sacrifice RAM?

• 3. Re: Laptop for 4k Video Editing - More RAM vs Better Gfx Card
              RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

980m vs 1060, you have to also factor in the clock speed (base and boost) of the cuda cores, which places the gtx 1060 far ahead. the gtx 1000 series is the first to reach such high clock speeds, where as the older generations have lower and somewhat similar clock speeds. so previously it was acceptable to only focus on cuda core count, but no longer. around 4gb of memory should be enough for 4k, making the 6gb gtx 1060 just right and the 8gb on the 980m unnecessary.

system ram vs video card, for 4k color grading i would try to get the gtx 1060, even if sacrificing to 16gb of ram. but i would also look for a laptop that was upgradable, to add or replace the ram and have 32gb later if needed. 32gb of ram would help more with large projects and playback of some media types like raw. so depending on what your doing with premiere you might find 16gb acceptable.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Laptop for 4k Video Editing - More RAM vs Better Gfx Card
                rickf43794680 Level 1

Ronin thanks that was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

The footage is mostly 4k RAW from a DJI Phantom 4 but it's rarely over 5 to 10 minutes.

I think I will get the laptop with the 1060 then, should be able to upgrade the RAM later if needed.