4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 1:01 AM by gpagnon

Accuracy of "Adobe Standard" Camera Calibration profiles in Lightroom vs X-Rite

gpagnon

Hi all,

It is my understanding that the Adobe Standard camera calibration profiles are developed by Adobe using color charts for accurate color matching (for supported cameras, of course), as opposed to more specific profiles (eg, for the Fuji X100, "Camera Velvia / Vivid") that try to reverse-engineer the camera "secret-sauce" settings that are applied in rendering a JPEG with a given effect/film emulation.

Now, I have seen authoritative recommendations on the web that if you are seeking to follow a workflow aiming at consistency and tonal accuracy, you *need* to create your own camera profile (eg, a dual-illuminant profile using an X-Rite passport colorchecker), as the Adobe Standard profiles are not suitable.  I can understand that there may be sufficient variations due to the use of different lenses on the same camera body that may warrant a re-calibration due to tonal shifts, color separation, etc., but what about cameras that have a non-interchangeable lens (eg, Fuji X100, Ricoh GR, etc.)?

I wouldn't think that production-related variations within a single camera model would impact color rendering significantly, and I would trust Adobe's engineers much more than myself in making an accurate profile (using more controlled lighting sources, etc.).

So, what gives?  Does anybody have more precise information about what actually goes in in creating the Adobe Standard profiles, and has anybody compared them with a custom-made profile for their own fixed-lens camera?

thanks in advance for any comments!

g.

• 1. Re: Accuracy of "Adobe Standard" Camera Calibration profiles in Lightroom vs X-Rite
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This has NOTHING to do with color accuracy and everything to do with pleasing color. More info:

Everything you thought you wanted to know about DNG camera profiles:

All about In this 30 minute video, we’ll look into the creation and use of DNG camera profiles in three raw converters. The video covers:

What are DNG camera profiles, how do they differ from ICC camera profiles.

Misconceptions about DNG camera profiles.

Just when, and why do you need to build custom DNG camera profiles?

How to build custom DNG camera profiles using the X-rite Passport software.

The role of various illuminants on camera sensors and DNG camera profiles.

Dual Illuminant DNG camera profiles.

Examples of usage of DNG camera profiles in Lightroom, ACR, and Iridient Developer.

Low Rez (YouTube):

http://youtu.be/_fikTm8XIt4

High Rez (download):

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/DNG%20Camera%20profile%20video.mov

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Accuracy of "Adobe Standard" Camera Calibration profiles in Lightroom vs X-Rite
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First of all I think you should drop the notion of "accurate" color out of the camera. There's no such thing. A photograph is always a remapping of reality, and if you're good at it, you can make a remapping that is credible and will be accepted as "accurate". That doesn't mean it's colorimetrically accurate, just that it's believable in its own right.

I have always gotten much better results with the Adobe Standard profile for my Nikons, than anything I was ever able to make with a ColorChecker and the DNG profile editor. After a while I just stopped trying.

The exception is if you have light sources that are not spectrally uniform, with spikes and troughs, such as fluorescent or LED. For this a custom profile usually helps a lot. But for daylight, flash or incandescent it's not worth the trouble.

Some of the profiles I made were overall not bad, but there were always "runaway" colors that just wouldn't behave, like blues that turned wildly oversaturated, greens that turned cyan, that sort of thing. The Adobe profiles seem very well controlled in this respect.

• 3. Re: Accuracy of "Adobe Standard" Camera Calibration profiles in Lightroom vs X-Rite
              gpagnon Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I completely agree that the search for "perfect" color matching is somewhat sterile, and furthermore physiologically unfounded.

I generally like Adobe standard profile but, as I have seen advice about the "necessity" of custom profiles for a good output, I was curious about other informed opinions. Your comment confirms my own impression about this issue.

Thanks

giuseppe

• 4. Re: Accuracy of "Adobe Standard" Camera Calibration profiles in Lightroom vs X-Rite
                gpagnon Level 1

Thank you for links and for taking time to reply!

best

giuseppe