• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does the GTX 1060 supports 10-bit output in Photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I finished my new PC, with i7 6700K and 30bit monitor. The only thing I have to buy is the video card.

My question is: do the new gtx 1060 videocards support 10bit output in photoshop?

I know that PS doesn't make intensive use of GPU, so I don't want to spend much money for Quadro series.

On nvidia site, they acclaim that all new GTX 10x0 cards support 10 bit mode.

Anybody has tried it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think the gtx 1000 series still limit 10bit to directx, so it may not work for 10bit photoshop or adobe software with opencl. maybe someone that has the hardware to confirm/test will also comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That question probably should be asked in the Photoshop forum.  How would one test to see if it really works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the photoshop forum probably would have more folks that could answer. how to test: with the hardware (gpu+ true 10bit monitor), one way would be a basic grayscale gradient. 8 bit would create banding, 10 bit would show none.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try there. Because I have two choice. Buy the new GTX 1060 for 200 euros, or the old Quadro K620 for 100 euros (second hand).

I won't use this workstation for gaming, but i built it just to use Photoshop and Capture One.

At the moment i couldn't spend more.

i was wondering because the "slow" macbook 12" 2016 edition that I own, supports 10 bit mode in Photoshop with its intel 515.

Of course the monitor isn't a true 10bit monitor, but the difference is really big and unexpected comparing to a macbook pro 15" (with nVidia GT 650M)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not a mac person, but i heard apple made the move to 10bit. so maybe they have a custom driver for the intel hd 515 in the 2016 macbook to enable 10bit. the older macbook pro with the nvidia 650m was probably made before apple moved to 10bit.

the quadro k620 is slow, so even if its required for 10bit you might not be happy with it. it would just depend how much performance you need for photoshop and Capture One...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Curious as well...all the new 10xx cards supposedly support 10-bit. Have a prosumer monitor that supports dithered 10-bit (asus ips monitor PB279Q)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines