5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2016 12:31 PM by k99000805

Lightroom Lr - requires Internet connection or not?

k99000805

Newbie to Lightroom here - I hope someone can give me a definitive answer and I am grateful in advance for your help:

I am an avid hobby photographer and often without internet connection when away for longer time periods. In pertinent forums I have read that the full version of Lightroom 6 was the version that didn't require an internet connection to verify every few days. Going now to the homepage to Lightroom I didn't find a 'Lightroom 6' still on offer.

- Is this true?

- If I am away for two months in the field with my laptop - with no internet connection the entire time - will the version currently available as 'Full' on the Adobe homepage still work? Or does this version require login to cloud, and therefore internet connection? I need to know if Lightroom needs a working internet connection, even if it is only for moments for verification purposes every few days.

Thanks in advance for an answer!

• 1. Re: Lightroom Lr - requires Internet connection or not?
          dj_paige Level 9

There's no version that requires internet "every few days". Lightroom 6 requires the internet once when you first log in and register your serial number so it can validate your serial number, and does not require internet after that. Even Lightroom CC requires internet every 30 days to verify your subscription. So Lightroom 6 meets your needs.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Lr - requires Internet connection or not?
            bob frost Level 3

LR CC has the option of an annual subscription, rather than monthly. This allows you to be offline for up to a year, I believe.

Bob frost

• 3. Re: Lightroom Lr - requires Internet connection or not?
              k99000805 Level 1

Thanks for your answer, both of you.

All clear now

• 4. Re: Lightroom Lr - requires Internet connection or not?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

It requires an internet connection when installing to Sign In.

The CC version needs an internet connection once every 90 days on a rotating cycle. Not specifically every 90 days. It checks the license, subscription, every time it is started. If it doesn't find an internet connection it look at the last date the license, subscription, was verified and if it was less than 90 days ago the program function as normal. More than 90 days the Develop module is disabled (or if your subscription has run out and you have not renewed it).

Read this Adobe article.

Internet connectivity, offline grace period, and reminders | Adobe Creative Cloud apps

The Stand Alone perpetual license version, version 6, only needs an internet connection when first installed and you sign in then enter the serial number you were given. Once you Sign In and enter a valid serial number, and a serial number for a previous version if the LR 6 serial you are using is for the upgrade version, and you never Sign Out no internet connection is needed.

LR CC 2015 and LR 6 are exactly the same program. They both require that you Sign In with an Adobe ID. The difference between the 2 versions come from the Adobe ID you use.

Sign in with an ID that is associated with a subscription plan and it becomes the CC version

Sign in with an ID that is not and never has been associated with a subscription plan and it becomes the Stand Alone 6 version.

Once an Adobe ID is associated with a subscription plan it can never be Un-associated even if your have canceled the subscription.

For that reason I have 2 Adobe ID's. One that is associated with a subscription plan and one that is not. Yes I actually own LR 6, I bought a copy just in case, and I have a Photographers subscription plan.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Lightroom Lr - requires Internet connection or not?
                  Abambo Adobe Community Professional

As Just Shoot Me states, you may off-line for a maximum of 90 days before LR will cease. Each time you are connected and work with LR, you get a new 90 days count down. That should be enough for your project. If you need to be off-line more then those 90 days talk to Adobe for a solution.

LR6 is still available. Technically, it's the same code then LR CC, so you can download CC and switch the program to LR 6. That is described here: How to convert a Lightroom CC trial to Lightroom 6

1 person found this helpful