10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 5:07 PM by trshaner

RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small

FensterB

Hey Guys, i just started my transition from Nikon DSLR to M43 with a Olympus OM-D EM5 ii. I am having an issue when I try to import raw files in Lightroom. For some reason, Lightroom is not properly rendering the preview. As you can see from the pics below, Choosing "Fit" does not actually fit the image to the loop. Also, choosing 1:1 zoom does not increase my zoom at all. 2:1 and higher will zoom more, however it is pixelated. I cant figure out why this is different than my Nikon imports. Has anyone experienced this issue before? I have provided pictures and attached the RAW file. I am using Lightroom 6 for PC

fill.jpg

1to1.jpg

2to1.jpg

RAW File:

• 1. Re: RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

If I remember correctly (not a safe bet) the loop view in the Import dialog uses the JPG preview inside the raw file. As such, the quality of the loop view will depend on the quality of the JPG preview, which tends to be poor, relatively speaking.

• 2. Re: RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You are in the Import dialog window. How do they look in the Library module?

It is you are in the Import dialog and you are actually looking at the small embedded JPG image that is included in all RAW files.

Also why are you using the Copy option when the images are already on the C:\ drive of your computer?

• 3. Re: RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR uses the embedded JPEG preview for reviewing images in the Import module. Some cameras have a full-resolution preview and other cameras have a reduced size embedded preview. This may be something you can set in-camera...don't know. You could also shoot raw + JPEG if you like to do your reviewing and culling in the Import module. Then just import the the selected raw files.

• 4. Re: RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small
                FensterB Level 1

Thanks everyone. I ran the raw through Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer  and it shows the Composite:PreviewImage as 3200 × 2400 1009-kilobyte. Other people I have asked do not seem to have this issue. I just got a raw from someone that has the exact same camera and it does it to me too... he says he does not have this issue.

By the way, I am doing a copy because I dump my card to a folder on my desktop, then copy to the proper location when I import.

Thanks for your help.

**Edit**

Once I import and build 1:1 previews it looks fine in the library. I am only having issues in the import window loupe.

• 5. Re: RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small

But then you end up with 2 copies of the same image in the same drive.

Your image that you placed on that file download site does the exact same thing on my system.

The other people your are talking to are using the LIBRARY Module not the Import dialog window. In the Library module the 1:1 zoom is much bigger than in the import dialog. Because in the import dialog I am viewing, using, the embedded JPG and in the Library module I am using the real RAW image.

1009Kb's is one (1) Megabyte. Much smaller than the RAW data.

• 6. Re: RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small
                    FensterB Level 1

Thank you.. I am aware of the 2  copies.. the folder on the desktop is just a holding folder. I dump my pics from the card to this temp folder. Then I open the the import window, select the pics I like (By zooming sometimes) and copy to the destination my pictures/folder. After the import, I clean out the temp folder.

So just to be clear, you are suggesting that the embedded jpg is too small to give proper preview in the import menu?

That kinda stinks because I can view the embedded JPG here: Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer and it is more than large enough to view at 100% and confirm sharpness.

If this is the case, do you find it is best to import them all and then use library view to select and delete?

• 7. Re: RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small

FensterB wrote:

So just to be clear, you are suggesting that the embedded jpg is too small to give proper preview in the import menu?

Yes and not only me, every other reply to your question is saying the same thing.

The import dialog is not the place to be judging sharpness, focus issues, of an image, as you have found out. That dialog window is for getting images into the LR  catalog and placed where you want them on your hard drives.

• 8. Re: RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small

FensterB wrote:

The preview that displays in the LR 6.6.1 Import module is 1000 x 750. I extracted the embedded preview using ExifTool and it is 3200 x 2400. For some reason LR is resizing the embedded preview, which is not normal behavior. I suggest reporting this as a 'Problem' here: Photoshop Family Customer Community

FensterB wrote:

If this is the case, do you find it is best to import them all and then use library view to select and delete?

As

• 9. Re: RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small
                          FensterB Level 1

Thank you for confirming my issue. I have posted the issue and hopefully it will gain some traction. Perhaps it will get fixed..

So just to confirm, Choosing Sidecar or Standard will allow full screen viewing, but it will not allow 1:1 viewing? As soon as I choose to do 1:1 view Lightroom has to render that 1:1 preview which could make zooming "slow"?

I like to check sharpness, thats why I zoom 1:1 before flagging as picks. In my case, I have been checking sharpness via Zooming 1:1 at the import screen, and flagging the good ones as "To be imported"

• 10. Re: RAW Image In Import Loupe Too Small

FensterB wrote:

Thank you for confirming my issue. I have posted the issue and hopefully it will gain some traction. Perhaps it will get fixed..

Anyone landing here with the same problem can add their 'Me Too' vote: Lightroom 6: Is resizing the embedded preview for Olympus Raw Files | Photoshop Family Customer Community

FensterB wrote:

So just to confirm, Choosing Sidecar or Standard will allow full screen viewing, but it will not allow 1:1 viewing? As soon as I choose to do 1:1 view Lightroom has to render that 1:1 preview which could make zooming "slow"?

That is correct. I used to build 1:1 previews on import, but found it pretty much a waste of time. It's best to evaluate images after you've adjusted them in the Develop module (Basic panel, etc.).

FensterB wrote:

I like to check sharpness, thats why I zoom 1:1 before flagging as picks. In my case, I have been checking sharpness via Zooming 1:1 at the import screen, and flagging the good ones as "To be imported"

1:1 pixel-peeping (as some call it) can be a waste of time in a "normal workflow. It's necessary if you're evaluating a new lens or comparing a set of focus bracketed images of the same shot, but that's about all. For screen viewing and most enlargements images that look slightly soft at 1:1 view may appear fine after applying additional sharpening in the Develop module and on Export (i.e. Screen or Gloss/Matte High Sharpening for prints). I would simply import them all and only delete the ones that you deem rejects for other reasons such as poor framing and duplicate images. Obviously you'll want to "save" the duplicate with the best exposure and best focus on the primary subject area so 1:1 building preview building will be required for those image files.

After editing the image files in the Develop module select the "duplicates" in the Library module and go menu Library> Previews> and select 'Build 1:1 Previews.' Next select ALL (CTRL+A) of the images in the folder just edited and select 'Build Standard Sized Previews,' which will allow viewing them up to full-screen size without delays during browsing. It's important to do this after each editing session to prevent performance issues in the Library module.