5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 5:18 AM by Steve Grisetti

I am unable to edit my project in premiere elements 14

SJ1995

I am trying to edit my project by adding new frames and photos.  Adding adding a title frame, the program adds it to the timeline but does not allow me to edit it.  A blank white frame appears in the show frames.

Also, when trying to add media, it does not allow me to add photos - and when I look at project assets it is blank. 

Is there something I have to push in order to be able to edit an existing project.  The projects has been rendered and published. 

Please help me with this issue.

• 1. Re: I am unable to edit my project in premiere elements 14
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just to be clear, this is a project you started in Premiere Elements 14, right? You didn't start it in a different version of the program and then open it in version 14, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "adding a title frame". Are you adding a title to your movie? What happens when you select the title on the timeline and then you click the Adjust button on the right side of the program's interface?

Just so we can ensure you don't have resource issues, please tell us more about your computer.  What operating system are you using? What is your processor and how much RAM do you have? How much free, clean space is on your drive?

Can you clarify if you have been able to successfully add any media to your timeline?

What video are you adding to your timeline? Have you ensured that any photos you are adding to your project are smaller than 2500x1875 pixels in size at 72 ppi?

• 2. Re: I am unable to edit my project in premiere elements 14
            SJ1995 Level 1

Thank you for you quick response.

O.K.  I did start the project in 12 - the version I originally purchased.  After struggling all day with this, I decided to see if updating would solve the issue.  But I am still having the same issues.

I am basically trying to add photos and title frames between photos to an existing project.  Just now when I pushed the title fame and select adjust the program says it stopped working and shuts down?

As for the computer I am using .  . . .we have a hp i5 laptop with 444G free space on the C drive.  We are using Windows 7.

When creating the project last year - I could add media.  This year however, I am unable.

I am only adding photos but after looking at the photos that I am trying to add they are 4.5MB  and 4608x3456px and not sure of the ppi.  They are possibly too big.

However, just when trying to add a title frame from within in the program I am having problems.  I add the title frame -and as you suggest - push adjust  - and the program is now shutting down. 

Thank you again for any help you can give us.

• 3. Re: I am unable to edit my project in premiere elements 14

Which i5 do you have? it makes a difference. HP makes dozens of levels of i5 computer.

You should never open a Premiere Project in a different version of the program than it was created in. This can corrupt the project. Are you still able to open the project in version 12?

Opening it in version 14 may have already corrupted the project and you will need to begin the project again.

Your photos are definitely too large to use in Premiere Elements! Resize them as I recommended and they should work just fine in a new project -- assuming your computer is powerful enough to run the program, of course.

If you are interested, my Muvipix.com Guide book for the program is available on Amazon. I have also created a series of free Basic Training tutorials for Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com (which offers dozens of more tutorials for the program). Part 7 deals with creating titles.

A good, basic knowledge of the program, its tools and limitations can save you a lot of lost work in the future!

*** Basic Training for Premiere Elements ***

• 4. Re: I am unable to edit my project in premiere elements 14
                SJ1995 Level 1

Thank you for your help Mr. Grisetti.  I put my project on a more powerful computer and things are working fine.

I appreciate the help and will be looking into your tutorials for further tips and knowledge.

Best Regards.

• 5. Re: I am unable to edit my project in premiere elements 14

Great news, SJ! Please mark this question as answered.