• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fake Flash Install

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was prompted the other day to update Flash player. Everything looked just as it normally does so I continued to download and install the update to flash, however, after downloaded in noticed something that cause me concern. It had to do with the URL: https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/update/ppapiosx/

The little "3" after "get" didn't look familiar. What I need to know is if this is a legit link? If not I need to search for this rouge app and delete it, if at all possible Here is an image of the file in question.

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 9.55.23 AM.png.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

@herrendez

Yes, that is a legitimate URL.  Thanks for checking before installing.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@herrendez

Yes, that is a legitimate URL.  Thanks for checking before installing.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This eases my mind. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a message  today from a legit site I use daily that my Flash Player needed an update.  I thought I  was updating my Flash Player only to find a obnoxious and aggressive  sell ad locking my screen. It was for an offshore scam operation called "Advanced Mac Cleaner". Shut down and powered back up.

I had not heard of this particular software or seen it before. The Flash icon appeared to be legit.  I then found both a "Flash" installer app with today's date as well as the Advanced Mac  bearing  today's date. I trashed both.

Is it possible for these scammers to piggyback on a legit Flash Player install?  Or do they just copy the Flash Player icon? Does Adobe take any actions to disrupt their operation? Is there an Adobe contact to report such?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TFF3

It is absolutely possible for scammers to piggyback on legit Flash Player installers, and unfortunately they do.  Thanks to your sharp eye you didn't fall prey to installing some unwanted program on your system.  Adobe does take action to disrupt them.  If you have the URL from where you downloaded the fake installer from you can either private message it to me or send it directly to phishing@adobe.com (see Notifying Adobe of Security Issues​).

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

im guessing thats part of the reason flash it being discontinued...
we're all gonna miss you flash and thank got that people are making huge databanks of old games so they can be preserved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a pop-up message today which asked me to update my flash player.

When I downloaded the files, I suspected this may be a phishing file and had a slightly different file name than that on the Adobe site. The file on the right side is from the Adobe web site and has a has a create date of June 21, 2016 and a file size of 2.4 MB. The file on the left is from the pop-up and is much smaller (0.77 MB) and has a create date of 9-12-2016.

Assuming the install program from the Adobe website is correct, but looking for confirmation and advice to block this realistic looking pop-up.

markl11848571Adobeflashplayer versions phish or no phish? au?.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi markl11848571 ,

Based on the info provided it's possible both are legit, but the June 21 date is a odd. The info from the screenshot on the left seems to be the info from the DMG file, whereas the info from the screenshot on the right seems to be the info from the .app file. Please do the following:

• Mound the DMG file for each file
  • Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
  • At the prompt type: codesign -vvd then drag and drop the APP from the mounted DMG onto the Terminal app.  It'll look something like: codesign -vvd /Volumes/Adobe\ Flash\ Player\ Installer/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app
  • Hit Enter
  • Copy and paste the results for both files in your reply

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria, I got a Flash Out-of-date pop-up notice.  Looked like it came from Adobe.  Downloaded.  Pfish crap.  MacCleaner piggy-backed.  Totally annoying.  Now I need to clean my Mac of Mac Cleaner...  I will kill that company...

-- Martin

Digital Creative Director

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi martinbay ,

I'm sorry that happened.  On occasion (when I have time) I perform internet searches for fake flash player installers and forward them to our fraud/phishing team.  I'm very, very familiar with the Flash Player branding, and the branding on our download page, and sometimes I'm amazed at the branding on some of these fake flash sites/installers looks like the official branding.  Sometimes it's just one or two words off and this is something the average user wouldn't know.  A few ways to avoid downloading a fake installer:

• Opt into background updates - when an update is found it's downloaded and installed silently in the background without user interaction. This is the quickest way to update Flash Player after a new version is available.
  • When you get a pop-up notification announcing a new version is available, close the pop-up and go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer to download the latest version.  This page performs OS/browser detection and offers the appropriate plugin for that os/browser combination.  If you use multiple browsers, you can repeat this for each browser, or go to get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions and download the installers for the various browsers you use.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

800-722-4077 was the phish number that connected to India...

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about this one?

Reimage Repair

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I constantly get this window on my screen, Windows 10.  I know it is a fake, but how do I stop the window from popping up?

This is the download site for your phishing team.

https://jien1checksconnect.net/52179452788008/3b146876c421eb09e5376550dd902a2a/fbb0f38f8c6c33160021a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I've reported the URL.  Feel free to report it directly to phishing@adobe.com.  Also including a screenshot of the window is a good idea (I don't click on these types of links)

I know it is a fake, but how do I stop the window from popping up?

jeromiec83223024 has a good lengthy reply to this question over at Beware of fake Flash Player update on OSX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell e if this is a legitimate download?

http://upgradeinstall24.ultimatecentral2updating

(Link partially removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said before, if the link is not exactly adobe.com, don't go near it.

This is the only valid link: Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The link you have shared is not a genuine adobe link. To get latest version of Flash Player, you can go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer page. For the link mentioned in your post, I will write to phishing team. In case you see such updates in the future which you feel are not from genuine source you can directly write to phishing@adobe.com.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legitimate Flash Player installers are ONLY available from adobe.com (and macromedia.com) anything else will most likely install a virus, malware, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@maria__1

Thanks for answering back then,

--

Jouan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do is to go into my Mac System Preferences and have Adobe automatically install updates. That way the decision to install is not up to me, and there's no chance of getting tricked into downloading malware.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 4.58.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines