5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 6:04 AM by RPotter_Can

Indesign and SNAP 2007 Newsprint

RPotter_Can

Indesign CC 2015 (Mac OSX 10.10.5)

I'm having a strange color display issue whenever I convert an ad I built in Indesign to a PDF for output on newsprint using the SNAP 2007 preset. The ad contains a purple rectangle of our corporate CMYK purple but when the PDF is created the resulting block of color is closer to royal blue on the screen. It's quite jarring – and I feel nervous sending it off to the newspaper looking so far off from our familiar purple.

The strange thing is, the blue-shifted PDF prints perfectly fine on our office printer, and when I place this same blue-ish PDF into a second Indesign doc, it appears the correct shade of purple. Inside Acrobat, the PDF appears blue, even when I turn on output preview and select the SNAP 2007 setting. So essentially, even though the numbers are all fine and the file prints accurate to my intent, it displays an odd shade of blue that's making everyone nervous.

Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Indesign and SNAP 2007 Newsprint
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm having a strange color display issue whenever I convert an ad I built in Indesign to a PDF for output on newsprint using the SNAP 2007 preset.

Is the SNAP profile assigned to your ID document—check Edit>Assign Profiles...? What are the Output settings for your Export preset?

You would expect an appearance change when you change profile assignments without changing the color's CMYK values—a coated profile like the default US SWOP has a considerably larger color gamut than newsprint.

So a dark saturated purple or blue is going to change in appearance when it prints on the highly absorbent newsprint. The assigned CMYK profile attempts to show you that difference in the preview. So here two Photoshop docs filled with the same 85|100|0|0 CMYK values but with different assignments (showing in the lower left info box):

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 5.32.30 PM.png

the blue-shifted PDF prints perfectly fine on our office printer

I wouldn't bet on your office printer being capable of accurately proofing the color as it will print on newsprint.

• 2. Re: Indesign and SNAP 2007 Newsprint

Also, what you are describing would happen if your document had the default US SWOP Coated profile assigned and you exported with the Output tab like this:

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 5.39.03 PM.png

In this case, if your purple was an InDesign CMYK color or swatch, it would export with its values unchanged because the Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers) setting, protects native CMYK color values. However, it would be previewed via the US Newsprint (SNAP) profile and the appearance would change when viewed in Acrobat.

• 3. Re: Indesign and SNAP 2007 Newsprint
              RPotter_Can Level 1

That is the situation. The purple is a CMYK swatch and I'm converting to SNAP 2007 with the preserve numbers setting. I can see that's had the appropriate effect on the photo (it becomes a little less vibrant, as expected, as the ink values are adjusted accordingly for newsprint) - I just didn't expect a difference  in the CMYK object because of this "preserve numbers" feature. So from what you're saying, indesign and acrobat are approximating visually how newsprint will affect my CMYK purple.

To be honest, I didn't take the doc profile into account. I'm sure it's US SWOP V2. Does the document profile beed to match the PDF output intent?

Thanks for looking into this btw. Much appreciated.

• 4. Re: Indesign and SNAP 2007 Newsprint

The purple is a CMYK swatch and I'm converting to SNAP 2007 with the preserve numbers setting

The Preserve Numbers choice is preventing the conversion of InDesign colors and allowing the conversion of placed objects with conflicting profiles. So yes Acrobat is showing you how the color with unchanged output numbers will change in appearance when it prints on newsprint. You have to keep in mind that the SNAP softproof is only accurate if the press profile really is SNAP—newsprint can be very difficult to predict, but color definitely changes relative to a coated sheetfed press.

Does the document profile need to match the PDF output intent?

If you leave the assigned profile as US SWOP your InDesign color is going to preview as it would print on a coated sheet and not Newsprint. If you reassign SNAP you should see the bluer purple, so you can either manually add more magenta, or use Edit>Convert to Profile... rather than Edit>Assign profiles... which will convert the purple value—your swatch would have more magenta.

• 5. Re: Indesign and SNAP 2007 Newsprint
                  RPotter_Can Level 1

Makes sense. Thanks for explaining all this.

Sent from my iPhone