1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 10:32 PM by dsddxx

Interword spacing for ePub

dsddxx

I set a book of poems using InDesign CC (latest version) -- looks good, no problems. I output a PDF which the printing company handled successfully. Everything is as it's supposed to be.

Now I'm preparing an reflowable EPUB version, and have run into a problem I can't solve (and can't figure out useful keywords to use in search, either).

There's a poem in which the words are spread across the page

the    poem has          lines                  like       this

The poet used a combination of tabs and spaces to get the words where she wanted them. In print, no problem.

I can move an entire line across the page to where I want it, but not parts of that line.

I've completely failed to find a solution. When I export to EPUB all the in-line spacing disappears.

I'm trying to move away from CS6 --> Kindle plugin partly because I'd like to stay in one environment and partly because I want to start making iBooks as well as Kindles. The Kindle plugin for CS6 honors spaces and tabs.

I have the feeling that I'm missing something fundamental here, but it's just a feeling and not helpful.

• 1. Re: Interword spacing for ePub
          dsddxx Level 1

I looked through another poem by another poet that I set in InDesign and exported to EPUB, where most of the the interword spacing was wrong, but some was correct.

The poet gave me a Word document and in some places (not all!) InDesign rendered whatever she used as spacing as a series of very small carets:  ^^^^^^^^^^^^ only sitting lower on the line. Wherever I left those in place, EPUB honored them.

I copied and pasted them into the current document that won't behave, and yes, the spacing was honored.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what kind of space or other marker the small carets are, or now to generate them.

I can solve my problem with this workaround, but I'd sure like to know what the heck those "spaces" are.