17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2016 7:18 AM by jasonk78695354

Audio not importing for some videos

jasonk78695354

I'm using the exact same camera I've been using for every other clip in the project.  A few new videos I took earlier today did not have their sound come through when imported, but when watched separately, they had sound.  I made a test video a bit after discovering this, and that one imported properly.  When that worked, I went a rerecorded the other pieces, but they also are not transferring the sound portion.  I have no idea what's going on and haven't been able to find anything about it.  I ran the codec update a couple days ago; other than that, I'm out of ideas.

• 1. Re: Audio not importing for some videos
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Do you have Quicktime 7 installed, per the program's requirements?

I don't know what "the codec update" is, but installing 3rd party codec packs might well have messed up your computer by nullifying an essential audio codec. What codec update did you run?

Since the program seems to work with some older clips, it's not likely the program or one of its settings that's at fault.

We may need to dissect one of your problematic clips with Media Info (a free download) to find out what's going on. Since all of the new video you're shooting is causing problems, it could be something you've changed in your camcorder.

• 2. Re: Audio not importing for some videos
            jasonk78695354 Level 1

I do not have any version of quicktime installed (and was unable to find a way to download it after reading your response).  Premiere brought a window up with a notification that told me I was missing codecs that the program needed, and linked me to a part of adobe's site that had a codec download page.  I can look into that program, but the only change I noticed to my camcorder (and not one that I made to it) was when safely removing it, it used to have a model number, now it just says HandyCam.  Sony Handycam DCR-SR47 is what I'm using.

*EDIT*  Found quicktime.

• 3. Re: Audio not importing for some videos

Wow! That's an old camcorder! Looks like it shoots in standard definition video and saves to a hard drive, right?

You should be getting the video from that camcorder by attaching the camcorder to your computer via USB and then setting the camcorder to VTR mode. In Premiere Elements, select Add Media/From Cameras and Devices (assuming you're using version 14). This will open the Video Importer, which will allow you to select and import video clips from your camcorder.

Other than installing Quicktime, do not install any other codecs! Your computer has all of the necessary codecs, and installing others might overwrite them.

BTW, your camcorder shoots in both stereo and 5.1 audio. Have you ensured you are shooting in stereo?

• 4. Re: Audio not importing for some videos
                jasonk78695354 Level 1

Correct, but I can switch between LP, SP, and HQ.  I can't find anything for switching to stereo, or really changing any audio recording except for the built-in zoom mic option.

I do connect via USB, and hit the USB connect button that comes up on the camera screen.  What usually happens is that the organizer automatically finds the media (yes I'm using 14) and lets me add it to the project that way.

• 5. Re: Audio not importing for some videos

To set your audio on that camcorder (or to see what it is set to) go to your camcorder's Settings/Movie Settings/Audio Mode.

If you're recording in 5.1, that may be why you're not able to hear the audio in Premiere Elements. There may not be a 5.1 audio setting for your format of video.

• 6. Re: Audio not importing for some videos
                    jasonk78695354 Level 1

There is no audio mode option available.  I didn't change any settings between shoots, so that's what really threw me for a loop.

Side note, I have MediaInfo now as well.

• 7. Re: Audio not importing for some videos

According to the manual for the camcorder, you do have an audio option for 5.1.

That said, open a sample of your problematic video in Media info and post the specs (or a screen capture of them) to this forum. I'm most interested in the audio specs.

Meantime, just as an experiment, download Handbrake (also free) and see what happens if you run the video through its convertor. It might solve the problem.

• 8. Re: Audio not importing for some videos
                        jasonk78695354 Level 1

Audio

ID                                       : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)

Format                                   : AC-3

Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)

Format settings, Endianness              : Big

Muxing mode                              : DVD-Video

Duration                                 : 1 min 45 s

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 256 kb/s

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L R

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz

Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 spf)

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Stream size                              : 3.21 MiB (5%)

• 9. Re: Audio not importing for some videos

Very strange. There's absolutely no reason audio with those specs should give you problems, Jason.

Would you be willing to share one of your challenging clips with me? Just post it to Dropbox and Share it with my first name at my web site Muvipix dot com. (Please don't share my or anyone's e-mail address on a forum. It's a sure way to get spammed!)

• 10. Re: Audio not importing for some videos
                            jasonk78695354 Level 1

Yeah, once I get back to my computer I'll drop one for you.

• 12. Re: Audio not importing for some videos

I didn't get a Share e-mail, Jason.

• 13. Re: Audio not importing for some videos
                                jasonk78695354 Level 1

Not sure why it didn't go through.  But as soon as I linked your email, your initials popped up (along with your name when hovering over the orb) inside the dropbox folder.

On a side note, I got handbrake and ran one of the videos through it.  The new version imported with audio and video as it should.  So it seems that program may have fixed the issue, or at least provided a workaround.  Still not sure about the root cause of the issue, but at least I can properly work with the footage.

• 14. Re: Audio not importing for some videos

Please try to re-send me the Share, Jason.

• 15. Re: Audio not importing for some videos
                                    jasonk78695354 Level 1

Check now, just sent it again.

• 16. Re: Audio not importing for some videos

Sorry, Jason. I'm just not getting it. It's not in my spam folder either.

How about just writing me directly? I'll send you a link to shared folder you can drop your file into.

• 17. Re: Audio not importing for some videos
                                        jasonk78695354 Level 1

I'm not sure why.  I linked you, then sent you an email directly after you said you didn't get the first one.