9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 11:57 AM by DariusKer

Audio lags while recording.

DariusKer

Hi there,

I'm using audio file for lip syncing, which is great, did a great job and the playback is smooth. The real problem I have is the recording. The audio is played slowly, and lags the video, which is choppy also. While recording I reach the end of the audio file in the timeline, while it still 'reads' half way. It is basically imposible to time and place keyboard triggers or manipulate in other ways while recording.  Playback is fine though.

What is going on? Am I missing something?

Please keep in mind that I have recording set at 1x and computer hardware can't be inadequate. I have 64GB RAM, 8GB graphics card, Multicore processor and SSD. Everything on this machine runs butter smooth and things happen at finger snap.

Please advise.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Audio lags while recording.
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

Hmm I haven't heard of this one before. Have you tried different audio formats to see if that helps? WAV vs AIF? Different compression / bitrate types? My best guess is it sounds like something about the audio file itself isn't playing well with your CH framerate / setup.

Recording can also be processor intensive depending on the complexity of the character, so does it help at all if you toggle the eyeball visibility icons off for the behaviors on the right? I've found performance increases if I hide dangle for physics-heavy characters, for example.

If you're still running into issues, feel free to post the audio file here or DM me and we can take a closer look.

• 2. Re: Audio lags while recording.
            DariusKer Level 1

Well, it is happening for me. Here is more information after I did some tests:

- It is not the audio format or bit rate. No affect whatsoever.

- It is not complexity or load of resources of the composition. I tested with your character, on blank canvas. No affect whatsoever.

- It is not even the audio file at all, as it does the same thing when I record over the microphone live. It both records slow (choppy), and even the playback is slow.

- The record is slow period. With voice or without.

- It is not only the record/playback speed issue (with imported audio file playback is actually normal, but out of sync) which is slow. But the video and audio is out of sync.  I did a simple test where I would move an arm at the same time I make a sharp sound. Like word "boom". It plays back slow, and the arm movements do not happen at the same time as word "boom".

Once gain, record and playback is set at 1x. And the machine is very capable.

I spend a ton of time learning the software, which otherwise is amazing with huge potential and I feel it will be widely adopted. I spend a ton of time creating the character and I'm ready to roll. Please help me resolve this. Thank you!

• 3. Re: Audio lags while recording.
              oksamurai Employee Moderator

Ok, so it must be an internal audio conflict or setting of some sort. Go to Character Animator > Preferences. Ensure everything looks as you'd expect, then try changing the buffer and sample rate. Mine are personally at 256 and 44100, with attempt to force unchecked. My guess is that your system, for whatever reason, needs so more fine-tuned adjustment to line up correctly. I'm also asking the team if they have more suggestions.

• 4. Re: Audio lags while recording.
                Dan Ramirez Adobe Employee

Hi Darius. I'm guessing Windows, not Mac?

DaveW pointed you to Character Animator>Preferences>Audio Hardware

Can you post a screenshot of your audio preferences?

• 5. Re: Audio lags while recording.
                  DariusKer Level 1

Here is the settings screenshot.

I'll play with these now.

preferences.jpg

• 6. Re: Audio lags while recording.
                    DariusKer Level 1

Yes, Windows 10. Screenshot attached above.

• 7. Re: Audio lags while recording.
                      Dan Ramirez Adobe Employee

Thanks for the screenshot. We've got a sample rate mismatch between your input and output devices. Click settings and see if you can switch the Realtek to 48k. If you can't do that, try and change the Master Clock to your Logitech microphone input.

• 8. Re: Audio lags while recording.
                        DariusKer Level 1

Hahaha, changing the Master Click to Input did the trick. Still about to test with other settings and resource heavy animation setups.

• 9. Re: Audio lags while recording.
                          DariusKer Level 1

It's beautiful now. It's perfect. What a relief. Thank you!