15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 2:32 AM by Roei Tzoref

Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening

AjS VB Level 1

I continue to get the Media Cache warning using AE unless I manually purge the contents.  It doesn't matter if it's 80% or 20%, if the drive doesn't have more than whatever number I enter, I get the warning.

After searching and reading numerous threads about Media Cache.  I'm left with the same question.

DOES ADOBE AUTOMATICALLY RECYCLE THE CACHE IF I DISABLE THE WARNING?

Is my "new" project seeing the benefit of the cache WITHOUT me manually purging the drive?

I don't care about just "turning off" the warning without knowing what is happening.

• 1. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
          Yertemp

Funny or is it sad that dozens and dozens of people viewed this without knowing...me included.  Sorry.

• 2. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
            I continue to get the Media Cache warning

what exact warning are you getting. what is your exact Ae version and OS

not sure about the warning but Adobe automatically recycles the persistent cache, so my guess it does the same for media cache otherwise file would pile up forever. it has a threshold I believe and once it's passed that it deletes the previous. that would be the smart thing to do. are you experiencing anything different?

Is my "new" project seeing the benefit of the cache WITHOUT me manually purging the drive?

in my experience with this software for many many years, I never purge the media cache unless there is something wrong with my preview for some reason.

after reading this: Memory and storage in After Effects do you still have any specific questions?

• 3. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
              Yertemp Level 1

He's clearly talking about the Media Cache warning that you get unless you check the "Don't show this again"

The difference between believing and knowing is sort of important.  Like I said, enough people viewed this and no one knows is very telling.  If Adobe has this buried somewhere, I'd like to see it as well.

• 4. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening

He's clearly talking about the Media Cache warning that you get unless you check the "Don't show this again"

what might be clear to you or Op may not be for others. can the rest of the users including me know what exactly are we talking about here? can you post the warning for all to see?

The difference between believing and knowing is sort of important. Like I said, enough people viewed this and no oneknows is very telling.

Let's first see what are we talking about here. users can get inside this thread and not know exactly what Op is referring too and get out and this doesn't mean they don't have an answer, just that the query isn't quite clear. certain technical specs are important here (Ae version, OS) , also other threads Op may have came across dealing with this subject (search in the forums for "media cache warning came with different topics that could be not related). also, if the answer is critical, you can also try contacting support or PM some of the technical team users that visit these forums regularly and share this information with everybody.

• 5. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
                  AjS VB Level 1

I'm talking about this warning.

1.jpg

If there's another warning related to Media cache, I've never heard of it.

As for the OS and version, they don't matter as the behavior is exactly the same, but here it is:

W10x64 CC2015.3 (Latest as of Sep 14 2016)

W7x64 CC(insert any version from the past 5 years here)

The SSD I'm using has 180GB free, I set it to use 160 for Cache.  After the free space is below 160, I get the warning.

It's the same warning on any machine I've ever used as far as I can remember.  Again, I'm just looking for some clarification on what exactly is happening.  As for contacting Adobe, I've found them to be absolutely useless...not as bad as fanboys blaming everything but the software, but right up there.

Again, I'm just trying to learn if Adobe writes over the cache automatically if I disable the warning or if it doesn't use it until I manually purge.

As for support, I haven't found them to be helpful

• 6. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening

thank you. I feel your frustration. hope you get the information you want and I will try to help at the risk of stating the obvious. I am not technical support and this obviously  is a user to user forum. from what I can guess you are an experienced user so I will try to be brief about it

W10x64 CC2015.3 (Latest as of Sep 14 2016)

2015.3 could be 2 version. you should use the latest - 13.8.1. - but this is probably unrelated to your question.

about the warning - so we are talking about Disk Cache and not media cache - these are separate things. this was not clear from your post.

about your question:

it recycles the cache if you show the message or not. I assume you already read what the help files suggest about disk cache and also what the forum suggest when searching "disk cache"? such as this: Disk Cache piling up and to quote from Tim Kurkoski response: "it [the cache] does have a maximum size that you can define in the preferences, and it will overwrite the oldest entries when it runs out of room." so to put it in another away - this means it recycles itself.

also this thread: Adobe After Effects - Disk Cache from ubash Asokanresponse : "You can ignore if it is a warning message. After Effects typically warns if you have set the disk cache size to more than 80% of the available space on your drive. Set the disk cache size to 80% or less of the free space available on your drive to resolve the issue."

does the information in both of these threads answer your question?

if you believe you are getting this warning and you should not, you can send a bug report: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

there are more cache savvy users here, hopefully they will respond to this thread as well.

• 7. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
                      adamneer Level 2

The warning will pop up if the cache size you've chosen is within a certain percentage of the full capacity of your drive. This is also affected by how much you've actually filled it up with, hence why sometimes you won't get the warning and other times you will. I forgot the details of this all, but basically if you set your cache size to 100g on a 128g drive, you'll get the warning every time, no matter how full it is. If you set your cache to 100g on a 500g drive, you will not get the warning, unless you've filled up the drive with ~350g of files and your cache is also somewhat full.

As to the other topic, clearing your cache is essential to efficient playback in AE. As soon as you've reached your cache max (say 100g full on a 100g cache) your playback caching speed will go down significantly, as your computer now has to process the removal of old cache bits while writing the new ones. There's really very little reason to keep your cache full, even if it's all from the current project because any minor change in your comp is going to cause the need to re-cache anyway. If you've got 90 percent of your project finished and are only actively working on a small precomp, then sure, keep your cache around so it won't have to recache for a full comp playback. But otherwise, keep an eye on your cache levels and clear them whenever they are close to being full.

• 8. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
                        clearing your cache is essential to efficient playback in AE. As soon as you've reached your cache max (say 100g full on a 100g cache) your playback caching speed will go down significantly, as your computer now has to process the removal of old cache bits while writing the new ones. There's really very little reason to keep your cache full, even if it's all from the current project because any minor change in your comp is going to cause the need to re-cache anyway.

Thank you adamneed. can you provide more information on your advice to "clearing the cache as essential to efficient playback in Ae" in a current project? and also "keep an eye on your cache levels and clear them whenever they are close to being full". ?

the clear cache advice I hear is always a side note and not described as something you have to do constantly to get efficient playback. the only advice I have on record is to empty the disk cache when having bad frames on cache, running low on disk space, or start fresh for a new project and that's about it. if there is a more efficient way to work - I wan't to know about it

I only clear the disk cache when I am faced with specific playback problems and my assumption is that it recycles anyway so I don't need to do it myself. clearing the cache and keeping an eye on cache levels seems to me like I am interfering with it's job to save some frames to disk and I find it time consuming. I do clear memory from time to time but only when I am faced with some problems. I would probably only empty disk cache when I am in a new project and still not doing it as much. if your experience is different, please share.

These are my resources:

these are Lynda links. only Lynda subscribers can watch them, sorry about that:

Cleaning the media cache database

Working with the persistent disk cache

this is Lynda free:

Media and Disk Cache settings

from the help files:

Memory and storage in After Effects

Learn how RAM and disk caches are used to save time in Adobe After Effects.

Disk Cache piling up 

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/atv/cs6-tutorials/ram-and-disk-cashing.html

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
                          Gutter-Fish Level 4

I clear my disk cache when it's full.   I don't constantly keep an eye on it but I work enough to know when AE is being exceptionally slow at caching frames when I'm trying to preview.  This is because, as someone else posted, AE is clearing cached data to make room for the new "as it goes".  If we can call that "recycling" then yes, AE will recycle the cache, but it will not automatically clear the cache completely   I have no "technical" information in writing from Adobe to prove this.  I just know when my frame caching gets really slow & I emtpy the disk cache, it gets faster.  The other times I know it's full is when I quit AE with a full or nearly full cache, then when I restart it I get the warning.  So it's not critical to empty your cache  or to "constantly keep an eye on it"  but a working with a full disk cache is the equivalent of working with no disk cache.   Do an experiment....ignore the warnings to empty your disk cache and let it get full.  Take note of how fast AE is pre-caching your frames...then empty the disk cache and see how much of difference there is how fast your frames cache.  Then you can decide how often or if you empty your disk cache, as constantly erasing and rewriting takes a toll on a drives lifespan.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening

thanks GF. maybe I do this all the time but don't notice it. I am not exactly sure, but I remember hitting edit ->purge -> all from time to time when my playback seems slower.

• 11. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
                              Gutter-Fish Level 4

Yes, when I say I empty my disk cache that's I mean: going to edit>purge>all.

• 12. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
                                Gutter-Fish Level 4

Just to add a little more reference...I work with a 80gig disk cache and I produce around 4-6 minutes of info graphics per day.

Depending on the complexity of the project I purge my cache about once every or every other day.

• 13. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
                                  AjS VB Level 1

Thanks for the info everyone and in the days since I last checked this post I just decided to manually purge when the warning pops up as I noticed when I didn't, things indeed were a bit slower.

This seems like such a simple solution by adding some options;

1. Purge cache on start

2. Purge cache when full

You get the idea.  Of course I know this won't happen so I'll just add the extra step of manually purging to my editing routine.  Since moving to 4k that cache gets filled quick and it's a bit of an unnecessary annoyance true, but Adobe has conditioned me to pretty well over the years :-)

• 14. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening
                                    adamneer Level 2

I suppose I didn't really mean to suggest anyone obsessively check the cache for no reason - more like what Gutter-Fish says: you get a sense for when the cache is full based on the amount of time AE is taking to cache a playback, and any time it starts getting slow, empty the cache. If I know I've made a lot of edits recently and I've been previewing each edit, I will sometimes just check the cache out of habit, knowing that it is potentially close to being full. The cache can fill quickly or slowly, depending on your comp settings (obviously 1080p frames will take up more space than 720p) and if you are working in 16bpc or 32bpc, the cache will fill up twice as fast. Perhaps a good feature request would be an option for AE to completely clear the cache as soon as it gets full, rather than for it to overwrite the existing contents one by one. I know many people think it's best to leave the cache alone thinking that small changes won't affect their cache much, but from my experience, there's absolutely no benefit of keeping a full cache, even if other comps may have to re-cache. I'd rather have to re-cache a single comp that I'm done working on than have a twice-as-slow cache process for every single playback on the comp I'm working on.

• 15. Re: Media Cache - Need a definitive answer as to what is happening

Thank you adamneer. I have realized I purge the disk cache from time to time when it feels like things are getting slow. this is so hardwired into my workflow I don't even notice it.