4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 1:28 PM by reindeer4

Mocha 5 Pro and After Effects CC

reindeer4 Level 1

Hi.  I'm eligible for a free upgrade to either Mocha 5 Pro Plugin for After Effects or Mocha 5 Pro Standalone version.

The Standalone version is priced much higher than the plugin (roughly $1500 vs $700) - but from what Mocha support told me, the Standalone version wouldn't have much extra utility unless you were in a major production studio or using python scripting - neither of which would apply to me.  I'm just a solo user with Creative Cloud master suite.  I do use some 3d programs, but do most of my final work within After Effects / Premiere Pro.  And it sounds like the plugin version would offer a more streamlined workflow in that case [even though i think you could accomplish all of the same things with the standalone version; but it might mean extra hoops to got through every time i use it, rather than using the plugin and always working within the After Effects interface]

Would welcome any thoughts from more experienced users.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Mocha 5 Pro and After Effects CC
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am a one man shop and I went with the plug-in.  If I get a huge project with a bunch of work that would benefit from some scripting I will charge it to the client and get the standalone.  My purchase decisions are always based on economics. By that I don't mean going fir the cheapest, I mean purchasing the most cost-effective. That means you need to put a pencil to paper.

• 2. Re: Mocha 5 Pro and After Effects CC
            reindeer4 Level 1

Thanks.  And just to be clear - I can pick one of these for free.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being foolish in bypassing the standalone version which costs a lot more to purchase outright.  At the same time, don't want to create extra workflow headaches for myself if the plugin is truly better given my circumstance.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Mocha 5 Pro and After Effects CC
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The plug-in is very handy, especially because you don't have to render anything if you are dealing with incompatible formats. The stand alone has more capabilities. I'd still probably go for the Plug-in and buy the stand alone if I ever get a job where it would save me money....

• 4. Re: Mocha 5 Pro and After Effects CC
                reindeer4 Level 1

Ok - thanks for the suggestions.  Think the day-to-day benefits of the plugin outweigh the small potential that I'd need the standalone version down the road - and if that did become the case, probably wouldn't be on me to purchase the standalone version anyhow.