15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2016 2:59 PM by Ikrananka

Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline

Ikrananka Level 1

I have a 2560x1440 60fps project that was created by importing a video clip that I created in Blender.  This works fine and the timeline rendering status line is grey which I believe means that this clip has been, or does not require, timeline rendering.  I then add a clip to the timeline that was created with some video capture software which has a different resolution to the project, i.e. 1856x1392 60fps.  The render status line above this clip is shown in orange which I believe means that it requires timeline rendering for smooth timeline playback.  So, I firstly ensured that the grey markers on the timeline encompass the entire project, i.e. the markers that can be set using the Alt and square parenthesis keys.  Next I click on the timeline render button.  However, the render dialog box flashes on screen for a fraction of a second followed by the video on the timeline being played.  No rendering takes place and the status line stays orange.

Can anyone help with this problem?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Look under your Edit/Project Settings/General. What project settings are listed there? Premiere Elements does not have a project setting for 2560x1440p60 video.

Also does the Work Area Bar cover your entire movie on your timeline?

The Work Area Bar is a lighter gray bar that runs along the top of the timeline and usually expands to cover your entire movie as you add clips to it.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline
            Ikrananka Level 1

The project settings are 2560x1440p60 which was defined by the properties of the first clip that I imported.  Note that previously I created a custom project settings with these properties so that I could work on projects with these settings which will be the bulk of my work.

Yes, the Work Area Bar does indeed cover the entire movie on the timeline.  I just described it very poorly in my first post.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline

Are you saying that the yellow orange line above the 1856x1392 digital is turning green after you click Render?

Can you post a screen capture of your timeline so that we can see it?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline
                Ikrananka Level 1

The line above the 1856x1392 footage is shown as orange as soon as I add it to the timeline.  After ensuring that the Work Area Bar covers the entire project I click the timeline Render button.  For a fraction of a second the Render dialog flashes on screen but then vanishes and the footage starts to playback in the preview area.  The orange line stays orange and does NOT change colour.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline

Can you post a screen capture of your timeline so that we can see it?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline
                    Ikrananka Level 1

Here you go.

ScreeenShot.png

I'll also note that all of my Scratch Disc settings point to a drive that has over 800GB free so that isn't the issue.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline

You're right. The Work Area Bar is definitely covering your whole movie, so I don't know what the timeline isn't rendering.

But as I said at the outset, I'm also kind of surprised the program is able to match your very non-standard video specs.

So maybe we're beyond my knowledge and experience. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a suggestion.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline
                        whsprague Adobe Community Professional

I certainly don't have more knowledge or experience than Steve!   However, the key might be that, "I then add a clip to the timeline that was created with some video capture software which has a different resolution to the project, i.e. 1856x1392 60fps. " 

Reading this forum over the last couple years, it is common to have problems with video capture software.  Formats are everything but "normal" for Premier Elements.  Often capture software makes clips with variable frame rates and that drives Premier Elements nuts.  Maybe try some homework with "MediaInfo" and then pre-process the clips with something like HandBrake. 

Good luck!  And, no I don't have any experience with capture software or Blender.  

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline
                          Ikrananka Level 1

I think I may have found a solution/workaround.  Bit busy today but will post details of what I did tomorrow.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline
                            Ikrananka Level 1

So, as promised here is the solution I found, with a little background first.

After posting my issue on the forums here I thought I would also try Adobe's chat support.  This didn't go well at first as the agent wanted to remote connect to my PC which I was not willing to let them do.  So, we chatted for a while and after the agent understood the problem well enough he started to suggest trying it with video recorded in different formats, i.e. different codecs other than the MP4/H.264 I was using.  He suggested trying Motion JPEG which rather annoyed me due to that format being notorious for the enormous file sizes that it creates.  Lo and behold, timeline rendering worked fine with the video recorded with that codec.  At this point the agent basically gave up and said he had given me a solution and couldn't really help any further.  Great ! ! !  My reason for using H.264 in the first place is because it is the only codec I have available in my recording software that creates reasonable file sizes relative to the quality of the recording.

But, what the chat with Adobe support did was to get me thinking about video and codecs, after all the problem seemed to be a codec issue rather than my use of "non-standard" resolutions.  Seeing as I am unwilling to change the codec I use for recording, I started to think about the codec that Premiere Elements uses for timeline rendering.  Looking over the project presets available in Premiere Elements I saw that these use one of three codecs (for Windows):

• I-Frame Only MPEG (1213221198)
                            • Microsoft AVI DV (1685288558)
                            • Microsoft AVI (1129730893)

My custom preset was using I-Frame Only MPEG which doesn't work for me so I tried the other two.  Microsoft AVI DV worked but resulted in an image compressed vertically and as a result fuzzy (although it was fast).  However, using the last one, i.e. Microsoft AVI, not only worked but resulted in a clear preview video at the correct aspect ratio, i.e. 16:9.  So, using this codec I am now able to render my timeline.  Wahooo!!!!  The downside is that the rendering is slow.  For example a 47 minute video takes nearly 2.5 hours to render.

Are there other timeline/preview video codecs that I can try beyond the three above?

In case it is use to others, here is the latest version of my custom preset:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PremiereData Version="3">

<SequencePreset ObjectRef="1"/>

<SequencePreset ObjectID="1" ClassID="5e73dd7e-4f86-4917-80eb-08ddb2f4a5f3" Version="2">

<PreviewVideoFrameSize>0,0,2560,1440</PreviewVideoFrameSize>

<InitialNumberOfFiveOneSubmixTracks>0</InitialNumberOfFiveOneSubmixTracks>

<InitialNumberOfStereoSubmixTracks>0</InitialNumberOfStereoSubmixTracks>

<InitialNumberOfMonoSubmixTracks>0</InitialNumberOfMonoSubmixTracks>

<InitialNumberOfFiveOneTracks>0</InitialNumberOfFiveOneTracks>

<InitialNumberOfStereoTracks>3</InitialNumberOfStereoTracks>

<InitialNumberOfMonoTracks>0</InitialNumberOfMonoTracks>

<InitialNumberOfVideoTracks>3</InitialNumberOfVideoTracks>

<VideoUseMaxRenderQuality>false</VideoUseMaxRenderQuality>

<VideoUseMaxBitDepth>false</VideoUseMaxBitDepth>

<VideoPixelAspectRatio>1,1</VideoPixelAspectRatio>

<PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Win>1129730893</PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Win>

<PreviewPresetFileName.Win>Microsoft AVI</PreviewPresetFileName.Win>

<PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Mac>1835692082</PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Mac>

<PreviewPresetFileName.Mac>QuickTime</PreviewPresetFileName.Mac>

<EditingModeGUID.Win>9678af98-a7b7-4bdb-b477-7ac9c8df4a4e</EditingModeGUID.Win>

<EditingModeGUID.Mac>9678af98-a7b7-4bdb-b477-7ac9c8df4a4e</EditingModeGUID.Mac>

<Descriptions Version="1">

<DescriptionItem Version="1" Index="0">

<Second>For editing computer footage captured at 2560x1440 square pixels (non-anamorphic).&#13;&#10;Recommended for AVI and MP4 footage captured with the H.264 codec.&#13;&#10;16:9 Progressive HD video at 60 frames per second.&#13;&#10;48 kHz audio.</Second>

<First>en_US</First>

</DescriptionItem>

</Descriptions>

<Names Version="1">

<NameItem Version="1" Index="0">

<Second>Computer 1440p60</Second>

<First>en_US</First>

</NameItem>

</Names>

<VideoFieldType>0</VideoFieldType>

<AudioTimeDisplay>200</AudioTimeDisplay>

<VideoTimeDisplay>108</VideoTimeDisplay>

<AudioChannelType>1</AudioChannelType>

<AudioFrameRate>5292000</AudioFrameRate>

<VideoFrameSize>0,0,2560,1440</VideoFrameSize>

<VideoFrameRate>4233600000</VideoFrameRate>

</SequencePreset>

</PremiereData>

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline

Assuming you have Quicktime installed on your computer, the odecs to edit DV-AVI, MPEG and most editable AVI files are already on your computer. do not add additional codec packs or you may mess up the ones you already have.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline
                                Ikrananka Level 1

What I was wondering about is if there are any other timeline preview rendering codec options offered in Premiere Pro?  The three I listed appear to be the only ones used in the Premiere Elements presets but I suspect others may be available if selected via a custom preset using the settings from a Premiere Pro preset, i.e. these two lines:

<PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Win>1129730893</PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Win>

<PreviewPresetFileName.Win>Microsoft AVI</PreviewPresetFileName.Win>

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline

I'm sure there are, but I don't know where you'd find a list of every possible codec in Pro.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline
                                    Ikrananka Level 1

No worries.  I installed a trial version of Pro and have extracted the codec details as follows.  I'm working my way through testing them in Elements now.

Windows & Mac

• I-Frame Only MPEG (1213221198)
                                    • I-Frame Only MPEG(2?) (1297107278)
                                    • Microsoft AVI DV NTSC (1685288558)
                                    • Microsoft AVI DV PAL (1685288560)
                                    • Microsoft AVI DV 24p (1685288498)
                                    • AVC-Intra Class50 720p (400)
                                    • AVC-Intra Class50 1080i/1080p (401)
                                    • AVC-Intra Class100 720p (402)
                                    • AVC-Intra Class100 1080i/1080p (403)
                                    • DNX (1096180846)
                                    • DNxHR (1096180840)
                                    • P2 DVCPro50 PAL (1685483573)
                                    • P2 DVCPRO50 NTSC (1685483061)
                                    • P2 1080i-1080p 60Hz DVCPROHD (1685483057)
                                    • P2 1080i-1080p 50Hz DVCPROHD (1685483569)
                                    • P2 720p 60Hz DVCPROHD (1685483063)
                                    • P2 720p 50Hz DVCPROHD (1685483575)
                                    • XDCAMHD 35 NTSC (104)
                                    • XDCAMHD 35 PAL (105)
                                    • XDCAMHD 50 NTSC (2019833186)
                                    • XDCAMHD 50 PAL (2019833187)
                                    • XDCAMHD 50 NTSC 720 (2019833145)
                                    • XDCAMHD 50 PAL 720 (2019833185)

Windows Only

• Microsoft AVI (1129730893)

Mac Only

• QuickTime (1835692082)
                                    • QuickTime DV NTSC (1685480224)
                                    • QuickTime DV PAL (1685480304)
                                    • Quicktime DV 24p (1886532148)
                                    • 15. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Not Rendering Timeline
                                      Ikrananka Level 1

Well after much testing, it looks like the only one of the above codecs that will work well enough for me is the Microsoft AVI (1129730893) codec.  Two of the other AVI variants rendered but one led to a vertically squished fuzzy preview and the other just a black preview screen.

I can at least now feel like I have tried all of the options and have selected the best (if not only) available.  Time to actually do some editing work now