1 2 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 3:46 AM by Wallroff

Renaming Comps is acting weird

tomf72314775

So when I press enter with a comp selected, in the past it would merely highlight the existing name, but now it deletes the entire name, also it sometimes looks like this: Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 2.33.27 PM.png any idea as to why?

• 1. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

your software is acting up. what exact version are you using? if it's 13.8.0, update to 13.8.1.

if it's 13.8.1 - reset your preferences by launching the app as you press Ctrl+Alt+Shift and you will be presented with a dialog box to reset your preferences - click O.K

• 2. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
            tomf72314775 Level 1

I am using 13.8.1, sadly I've done that twice already. I've also just completely un-installed the software (and deleting the preferences) and downloaded it again.

• 3. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird

Very strange indeed. what exact OS and GPU specs?

• 4. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                tomf72314775 Level 1

MacOS Sierra 10.12 (I just realized it's probably this since its still in beta)

Macbook pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2015

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB Memory

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

• 5. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird

it seems this OS is not supported so I would guess this is it - After Effects System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows

• 6. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                    tomf72314775 Level 1

Thank you, makes total sense! I completely spaced when I signed up for the beta!

• 7. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird

Live and learn. thanks for the feedback.

• 8. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                        ebluBeta Level 1

sierra is no longer in beta... this problem is still happening.

renaming comps is broken. time for another minimal update.

• 9. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird

sierra is no longer in beta... this problem is still happening.

maybe it's semantics but not really a problem that keeps happening if the requirements don't state for supporting 10.12. I would submit a feature request for the team to include 10.12 in the next bug fix or version and link to this thread to see what exactly is broken - this could rush things.

• 10. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                            ebluBeta Level 1

semantics it is not.

it's not a feature request. It's a bug.

already reported.

I see that Adobe has limited their phrasing of system requirements to only include specific OSes, and not the more traditional x and up, phrasing. Doesn't matter. This is a bug.

• 11. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                              Helton Rosa Level 1

Definitly a problem within MacOs Sierra. Just updated my MacOs and bang, problems renaming comps, and layers. The worst part is that my expressions linking layers parameters are not working anymore. Major bug IMO.

2 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                ebluBeta Level 1

I don't have issues with expressions. care to unpack that issue? I'd like to know more.

• 13. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                  Helton Rosa Level 1

ebluBeta wrote:

I don't have issues with expressions. care to unpack that issue? I'd like to know more.

Try linking two rotation parameters from two different layers to see what happens. For me it doesn't work. It appears to be having a problem grabbing the layer name in the syntax.

Sadly I'll downgrade now to El Capitan.

• 14. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                    CTS_Jason

I'm having the same problem with expressions. Simple pick whip from position of one layer to another does not work since upgrading to Sierra

• 15. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                      ebluBeta Level 1

very specifically, pickwhip IS working for me. I think there's some detail I'm not duplicating in my attempt to reproduce the problem.

I wonder if you are pickWhipping to a mangled compName. it appears that when you select the comp in the project panel, and hit the "enter" key, it doesn't delete the comp name... it replaces it with a carriage return. every compName starts out with an invisible /r maybe if you are pickWhipping to that, it wouldn't work. That's an illegal character in a comp name. and could lead to issues with expressions.

• 16. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                        ebluBeta Level 1

there it is.

renaming LAYERS also produces the illegal character /r, replacing the entire layername.

look at your expression, see if the layer name is 2 lines. if so, that's the issue. the very first character of the layer name is a carriage return, and the expression doesn't read it as a character, it reads it as a new line.

• 17. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                          Helton Rosa Level 1

It's probably that. Due my deadlines I could't afford waiting for a solution. I'm running El Capitan now so I can't test any new options.

Anyway, were you able to bypass the /r and make the expression work?

• 18. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                            ebluBeta Level 1

I just got in the habit of hitting delete, delete, delete, delete, just after i hit "enter" to rename anything.  goodbye, invisible new line character.

• 19. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am done a significant amount of research on this bug find that if you use the original layer names or open projects with existing expressions things are fine.

The only dead-end is if you have renamed a footage asset in the Project Panel then you cannot rename the asset, you have to replace the footage with the same footage.

A detailed bug report was filed with Adobe this morning.

• 20. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                Helton Rosa Level 1

Rick Gerard wrote:

I am done a significant amount of research on this bug find that if you use the original layer names or open projects with existing expressions things are fine.

The only dead-end is if you have renamed a footage asset in the Project Panel then you cannot rename the asset, you have to replace the footage with the same footage.

A detailed bug report was filed with Adobe this morning.

Hey Rick, I also reported the bug officially to Adobe this afternoon.

My projects with existing expressions didn't break as with you.

Know what impressed me most? I downgraded to El Capitan and opened my bugged project (saved while under Sierra) and the layers that I renamed were still giving me the weird double line while trying to edit their names. Besides that, to make those layers work again I had to replace all bugged names with (the same) new names.

• 21. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird

I meant that if you go into existing projects that use expressions linked to renamed layers and you rename anything the expression will break. They open OK, you just can't change the names of the layers.

• 22. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                    ebluBeta Level 1

this makes sense. the bug happens as you rename items.  expressions cannot make correct sense out of a layer, or comp named with a new line character in it. If you rename in Sierra, and then save and open in El cap, expressions would still be broken, because the names of the layers/comps are still broken.

I'm still seeing expansions of this issue... renaming layers in the comp itself does the same thing. Right now it seems to be tied to anything that deals with text editing in Lists.

text layers in the comp seem to be ok. Static text boxes (like the font name pulldown in the character palette , which turns into a text box if you click on it) seem to be ok.

there are 2 work arounds:

1. don't rename things.

2. if you rename them, understand that every time you do, your text will be replaced with a new line character that must be deleted.

in the case of comps, you can change the name in the comp settings panel, to avoid the issue.

• 23. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird

If you can get to a layer properties panel (shape or solid or comp) you can rename there and fix the problem. If you rename in the timeline or the project panel you are in trouble. If you rename in the Timeline then you can rename again but just push the delete key and the enter key to revert to the original name for the resource and fix the problem by editing the expression. Expressions will not work with renamed layers that are renamed in the project panel or the time line.

As I said before, just to help others that may be having this problem, if you rename footage in the project panel there is no way to revert that footage to the original name that I have found that works so the only solution I have come up with is to replace the footage with the same footage so the original name sticks.

• 24. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird

from a discussion with Tim Kurkoski

Some more detail on the text entry bugs: what appears to be happening is that when you press the Enter key to rename a layer or project item, the line break character is being input into the name field, thus erasing the current name, which is selected when you first enter the field. You can avoid this for now by right-clicking on the layer or item and choosing Rename. If you do accidentally get into this state, press the Delete (backspace) key to erase the errant line break character before typing the new name.

• 25. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                          Helton Rosa Level 1

Roei Tzoref wrote:

from a discussion with Tim Kurkoski

Some more detail on the text entry bugs: what appears to be happening is that when you press the Enter key to rename a layer or project item, the line break character is being input into the name field, thus erasing the current name, which is selected when you first enter the field. You can avoid this for now by right-clicking on the layer or item and choosing Rename. If you do accidentally get into this state, press the Delete (backspace) key to erase the errant line break character before typing the new name.

Good idea, BUT the same problem is happening while renaming effects. eg. I had to do a expression linking a Slider Control (with the name chaged for the sake of organization) and it didn't work. Couldn't find a way of right-clicking rename the effect name.

• 26. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird

Good idea, BUT the same problem is happening while renaming effects. eg. I had to do a expression linking a Slider Control (with the name chaged for the sake of organization) and it didn't work. Couldn't find a way of right-clicking rename the effect name.

Do you mean this?

• 27. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                              Helton Rosa Level 1

Lol, yes. I figured it out minutes later.

Unfortunately as I said, I'm not running Sierra anymore. Can't try this option out. Any ideas when new bug patch is being released?

• 28. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                                Unfortunately as I said, I'm not running Sierra anymore.

probably a good idea. why suffer? it is not supported and unless Adobe is paying you to be a beta tester for this Os, it is best to leave it alone until a clear statement about compatibility of Ae with this Os will be released.

Any ideas when new bug patch is being released?

I would not hold my breath for a bug update. too many issues with this Os in my opinion. hopefully this Os will be supported when the next version will be out, so it's a safe to say it won't be this year.

• 29. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                                  Myaka

My best guess is that the problem is somehow connected to Sierra's ability to share clipboard between devices. Also, right click->rename solves the problem, although this method is far from convenient.

Thanks for bringing this up in first place, let's hope they will solve it rather soon.

• 30. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                                    tkovar

Do NOT update to macOS Seirra on a Mac until this bug is fixed. Not only is it incredibly annoying to rename layers, but not being able to create new expressions is a deal breaker that will force you to have to revert back to the previous OS. 

Get it together Adobe.

• 31. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                                      Helton Rosa Level 1

tkovar wrote:

Do NOT update to macOS Seirra on a Mac until this bug is fixed. Not only is it incredibly annoying to rename layers, but not being able to create new expressions is a deal breaker that will force you to have to revert back to the previous OS.

Get it together Adobe.

Exactly! Wait for bug updates! And repport!

• 32. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

tkovar wrote:

Get it together Adobe.

Hey now, Sierra is explicitly not on the list of supported operating systems for any version of After Effects, so this isn't a failing on Adobe's part for which they should be chided. If somebody tells you that something isn't supported, but you try it anyway, you shouldn't yell at them if something goes awry.

That being said, it would be nice if Adobe had all of their software ready to go by the launch of a new OS!

I totally understand wanting to jump on a brand new version. However, I understand that there are almost always issues when doing that in general and problems are especially likely when you're running a specifically unsupported configuration.

I would expect the next version or update of AE that releases to support Sierra. So, as usual, the best advice is to wait for Adobe to officially support an OS before upgrading to it.

• 33. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                                          ebluBeta Level 1

honestly,

this is a stupid bug, but it does not stop you from working. it's just very annoying.

you can run sierra, which I am, and still create new expressions, which I do.

the trick is to be aware that renaming layers and comps will automatically wipe out the current name, and replace it with an illegal character, that breaks expressions.

the solution is to hit the backspace key when you invoke the renaming of an item, and then type the whole name out.

it's a stupid bug, it's really annoying, it shouldn't exist. It won't stop you from upgrading to Sierra.

• 34. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                                            tkovar Level 1

Ha, you're right, I probably came across a little harsh sounding. I was more so thinking of the meme with Tyrone when I said 'get it together'.

I know the dudes at Adobe work hard and I can't imagine the stress they must be under all the time with all the OS changes. Lesson (re)learned, don't forget to check the specs before upgrading, and even then it's best to wait a few more months.

• 36. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                                              tg97359680

Same renaming problem here. Such a time-killing pain in the butt! Isn't this why Apple gives their new operating systems to developers well ahead of any public release? Seems like this renaming bug would have come up in testing...which leads me to believe Adobe didn't bother to test the new OS, or prepare for the new OS when they had the chance. Very frustrating.

• 37. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                                                sylvainm48883701 Level 1

Hi,

the only solution I found is to cancel (cmd+Z) just after pressing "Enter", when the name has disappeared.

The original layer name is back and editable.

1 person found this helpful
                                                                                • 38. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird

The renaming problem goes away if you press enter to edit, then delete, then the the new name. It's my new habit.

• 39. Re: Renaming Comps is acting weird
                                                                                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is fixed in the CC 2017 release of After Effects.

1 2 Previous Next