3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 7:15 AM by Rick Gerard

Text in Ae

jeffw15232390

I'm a newbee to Ae does anyone know why when I am attempting to add text to a project that the text shows up in the source name but not in the composition pane

Also if i attempt to add effects thru effects and presets by double clicking on the action "smooth move in" I get a red circle with cross hairs but no visible text.

Thx

• 1. Re: Text in Ae
          kalibahlu Level 1

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but when you add one of the canned text animations, it gives you 2 default keyframes. Select your layer and hit "u" to see the keyframes.  Maybe that will help somewhat?

• 2. Re: Text in Ae
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without any proper technical info about your system, versions of AE comp settings and so on nobody can tell you much. And Presets always require a suitable layer to be in place to which they are applied to begin with. It really sounds like it would be a good idea to at least read the help. You're flying completely blind and have no grasp of some very basic things here.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Text in Ae
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say that "the text shows up in the source name but not in the composition pane." If you mean that when you select the text tool or you use the keyboard shortcut Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + T to add a new text layer and you type something but nothing shows up in the Composition Panel then the first thing you should do is click on the three little lines just to the right of Character in the Character panel to bring up the Character Panel menu and select Reset Character at the bottom of the list. This will make your text show up in the Comp Panel.

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 7.03.23 AM.png

If you still can't see the text then you may have the text layer set as an adjustment layer or as a guide layer. This requires that you have changed something after you have added the text layer so It's probably not the problem.

Another problem could be that you have added a camera to the timeline and you have selected one of the custom view and your text layer is 2D. 2D layers do not show up in custom views when you have added a camera. The only view that will render is the Active Camera view.

If that solves your problem and you can see the text you entered then when you apply a text animation preset like "Smooth Move In" your text will now be animated starting at the current position of the CTI (current time indicator) in the timeline. This means that your text will have moved off screen and you will have to move the CTI down the timeline to see the animation work. To see what has been modified on your text layer by the animation preset choose the selection tool (v) and select the text layer in the timeline. Then press the U key twice you'll see everything that is modified, any keyframes that are added, and you will be able to customize the preset to fit your design.

If you version of AE is up to date and none of that works we need OS, AE version, system and workflow details down to the last decimal point.

If you have not done so already you should go through the basics of AE by starting here: Basic AE, very few people I have ever met can figure out how to use AE without a little training.