7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 7:37 AM by veset

Should I purchase a new full PS license for my LR6?

veset

I have a desktop LR6 and I have been using my old PS as a complementary editing tool for a long time. Now my PS license is no more valid and I should think to replace it. The question, for the kind of editing work I do, is : should I purchase Photoshop Elements 14 or a full PS license?

I do not work often with layers and I have the impression, maybe I am wrong, that Elements is more a software for phone-photograph users.

If I purchase the full PS maybe I pay for many features I shall never use...

Jose Vega

Spain

• 1. Re: Should I purchase a new full PS license for my LR6?
          dj_paige Level 9

The question, for the kind of editing work I do, is : should I purchase Photoshop Elements 14 or a full PS license?

We don't know what kind of work you do. We don't know what meets your needs.

Also, you can't "purchase" PS any more, you'd have to "subscribe" to the Adobe Photographer's Plan, which gives you the Creative Cloud versions of Photoshop and Lightroom.

I do not work often with layers and I have the impression, maybe I am wrong, that Elements is more a software for phone-photograph users.

I can see why people say that, but I disagree. The usefulness of any software does not depend on what device snapped the photo, it depends on whether the software does what you want it to do. It depends on what kind of work you do.

If I purchase the full PS maybe I pay for many features I shall never use...

Also true of every other software you have ever purchased, you won't use all the features. SO I really think we are back to what meets your need best, and we don't know what type of work you do.

• 2. Re: Should I purchase a new full PS license for my LR6?
            veset Level 1

I am not a pro-photographer so my workflow is not a critical point. I was working for a firm which had a full CS license and my use of PS was always 'low profile'. I am retired now and my needs are different.

With a desktop LR it is not logical in my case engaging a monthly payment to use such a powerful program

I understand that now Adobe has a different marketing strategy and maybe there is no solution to my problem.

Is it possible to test Elements for a 2 months period?

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Should I purchase a new full PS license for my LR6?
              dj_paige Level 9

There is a free trial of Elements, I'm sure it isn't 2 months. You can find out the exact details at the Adobe web site.

• 4. Re: Should I purchase a new full PS license for my LR6?
                JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

veset wrote:

...should I purchase Photoshop Elements 14 or a full PS license?

Jose Vega

Spain

You don't need a "Full" PS License.  Adobe offers a Photography Plan which includes Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC for under US $10.00 per month. 

• 5. Re: Should I purchase a new full PS license for my LR6?
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is it possible to test Elements for a 2 months period?

Elements trials are 30 days.

That should normally be plenty of time to explore the software and make a purchasing decision.

• 6. Re: Should I purchase a new full PS license for my LR6?
                    Abambo Adobe Community Professional

Test Elements. If it does what you need to do, you're fine. If it doesn't look into Gimp. If that is not working according your needs, you still have plenty of choice of alternatives.

If however it is important to have a full blown program like Photoshop, you need to acquire Photoshop. Photoshop together with LR comes with a 10$/€ per month subscription. That's a bargain, also for a hobbyist.

The 3rd alternative is to pay 26$/€ each time you need Photoshop. You will acquire a license for one month.

• 7. Re: Should I purchase a new full PS license for my LR6?
                      veset Level 1

I think that testing Elements is now the right thing to do.

Thanks for your comments, they have been very helpful for me