7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 2:52 PM by wobertc

Missing Photos after importing from CD

JDC001AdobeForum

I am using latest version of Lightroom.  I imported a number of photos from several CDs and then edited them, each while the CD was inserted.  When I went back to edit one of them later, it was "missing" as were all the photos that I had imported.  Under import options, I have Add to My Catalog.  There is nothing in the normal Catalog that LR establishes under Users/Pictures, nor in the Catalog that I had established myself. When I go back to the CD to reimport these photos, it says "this photo is already in your catalog"  Help please.

• 1. Re: Missing Photos after importing from CD
          JDC001AdobeForum Level 1

To further clarify, when go to "All Photographs" under "Catalog". the photos that are missing show up.  How can a photo show up in a Catalog and still be Missing?

• 2. Re: Missing Photos after importing from CD
            dj_paige Level 9

You don't re-import the photos, you simply insert the same CD and then go to the Library Module and your photos will be there and not marked as missing.

In general, you don't want to use "ADD" when you import photos from a CD. You want to use COPY and select a folder somewhere on one of your hard disk(s) where the copy should be placed.

• 3. Re: Missing Photos after importing from CD
              dj_paige Level 9

How can a photo show up in a Catalog and still be Missing?

Lightroom is not a file browser. It is a database, it contains information about the photos that have been imported — information such as the location of the file — but it does not contain the actual photo. It also shows you small thumbnails of your photos so you can select the one you want to work on. If the photo is not in the actual location that is stored in the LR database, then the photo is missing. In your case, the photo is missing because the CD is not inserted.

• 4. Re: Missing Photos after importing from CD
                JDC001AdobeForum Level 1

I understand

I am deleting the images from my Catalog, then reinserting CD, then importing by Copying to Catalog.

I think I will have to re-edit the photos but it will solve the problem

Thanks

jay

Jay DeChesere, Architect, LEED BD+C

3404 Talon Court

Wilmington, NC 28409

Ofc: 910-350-0115

Mob: 910-512-9944

Email: jdc001@mac.com

Architecture Webpage: http://JAYDECHESERE-architect.com

Artist Webpage: http://JAYDECHESERE-artstudio.com

• 5. Re: Missing Photos after importing from CD
                  JDC001AdobeForum Level 1

So, if I insert a CD, import photo, copy it to my LR Catalog, are you saying that the photo does not exist on my hard drive somewhere?

I remove the CD and LR is able to find the photo, I can edit it, etc. so it would appear that it is stored somewhere.

Confusing...

Jay DeChesere, Architect, LEED BD+C

3404 Talon Court

Wilmington, NC 28409

Ofc: 910-350-0115

Mob: 910-512-9944

Email: jdc001@mac.com

Architecture Webpage: http://JAYDECHESERE-architect.com

Artist Webpage: http://JAYDECHESERE-artstudio.com

• 6. Re: Missing Photos after importing from CD
                    dj_paige Level 9

So, if I insert a CD, import photo, copy it to my LR Catalog, are you saying that the photo does not exist on my hard drive somewhere?

If you import with the COPY option, the photo(s) exist on your hard disk somewhere, in the location you specify.

I remove the CD and LR is able to find the photo, I can edit it, etc. so it would appear that it is stored somewhere.

Confusing...

That's how Lightroom works. If LR is able to find the photo in the expected location on your hard disk, you are able to edit the photos and perform any other LR operations on it.

This implies that you should not normally move or rename or delete the photo outside of Lightroom after you import it.

• 7. Re: Missing Photos after importing from CD
                      wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I am deleting the images from my Catalog, then reinserting CD, then importing by Copying to Catalog.

I believe you still do not fully understand how Lightroom works.

Read Paige's answer in Post#3 above , again.

You do not need to delete the previews from the Catalog. Just re-insert the CD and LR will have access to them again.

OTOH if you want to use the images without the CD-

Lightroom does not "Copy to catalog".  It does Copy the original image files from the CD to a folder location in your computer hard-drive, if you import with the "Copy" option set when you import, and a 'destination' given.  You then have the images in a local folder that will be always available to Lightroom without the CD.