3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2016 6:49 PM by Steve Grisetti

Pr. Elements 12 has stopped working

I have Premiere Elements 12, I have been  using this for a number of years but it now continues to stop  working. The message I get is Elements has stopped working then it shuts down. I have rebooted but still get the error message. Anyone with any suggestions.

Thanks DJ

[title edited by mod]

• 1. Re: DJ
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you using? If you've upgraded to Windows 10, have you uninstalled/reinstalled the program since upgrading?

What processor do you have and how much RAM? How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive?

Does the program when you open it to a new, empty project -- or does it only fail when you've media on your timeline?

What model of camcorder is your video coming and what format and resolution is it?

• 2. Re: DJ
            1411070 Level 1

Hi

I have Windows 10

Processer is - Intel (R) Core (TM) i7 - 5500U CPU @ 2.40 GHz 240 GHz

Ram is 4 GB

Space is - 44.39 GB

It can stop when transferring pictures also while working within elements

DJ

• 3. Re: DJ
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The good news: You've got an excellent processor.

The bad news: You've really only got 45 gig of free space on your drive? I'd never try to edit video without at least twice that. There's no room for the program to write temp and virtual memory files? A little fragmentation, and the program will definitely choke.

This is particularly true if the photos you're using in your project are larger than 2000x1500 pixels (72 ppi) in size.

Keep 100 gigs of free space on your drive, defragment it for good measure, and optimize the size of your photos to no larger than 1000x1500 pixels and your problems should all go away.