1 2 3 Previous Next 81 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2016 8:18 PM by gener7

Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

jeffwjohnson Level 1

I need to be able to process raw files from my Canon 5D Mark iv.  I know I can use the Canon DPP software for now, but that requires learning a whole new program and workflow.  I'm also not excited about going back and reprocessing images when Adobe finally gets around to supporting this camera.  How long is it going to be until Lightroom and Camera Raw work with it?  I would even settle for the Adobe DNG converter working.  At least then I could still use Lightroom.

• 1. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
          dj_paige Level 9

When? Whenever Adobe thinks it ready to release, that's when!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Adobe is a competitor with Canon; they don't share things with each other.

Adobe does not discuss release schedules with the public.

The best GUESS on the 5d4 addition to the Adobe software is 3-6 months after the official release date of the camera, just like it is with every other new camera model release.

• 3. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
              sciulli999 Level 1

how do you figure they are competitors? I guess some of their software products overlap (in Canon's ideal world they would have everyone using DPP), but saying they are competitors doesn't really fit. Lightroom would be nothing if it did not support all the cameras out there.

Also, 3-6 months seems pretty extreme to me. I do not believe it's ever taken Adobe that long to support a new Canon camera. There have been 4 updates in 2016 that each added new cameras and we are 3/4 of the way through the year. My guess is we'll see 5D IV support in mid-October.

For the OP, Adobe does not even hint at when the next version of LR/Adobe Camera RAW are coming. We'll just have to wait. It sucks, but it is what it is. The price we pay as early adopters.

• 4. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

sciulli999 wrote:

how do you figure they are competitors?

They are not. Ridiculous. The facts are, weeks after a release of a new camera from Canon, Nikon, Adobe and all other 3rd party raw software manufacturers will support the new format. So if the idea is, there's some competition in processing the raw (in this case, Adobe vs. Canon), it isn't going to last very long. This would all be moot IF Canon and other's would supply a raw file to all the software companies that wish to and will support the tiny changes in the new raw format, weeks before they release a camera. Then we'd not have to wait. In this case, like those in the past, Adobe had to wait to get their hands on a camera to support the new raw. They have to test the software internally, build and test the installers. Then test through their outside beta's. Then write up new documentation, upload etc. That takes time. The delay is 100% caused by the camera manufacturers.

• 5. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                  Also, 3-6 months seems pretty extreme to me. I do not believe it's ever taken Adobe that long to support a new Canon camera. There have been 4 updates in 2016 that each added new cameras and we are 3/4 of the way through the year. My guess is we'll see 5D IV support in mid-October.

See this post for a more accurate estimate of release date: Re: Next scheduled update for LR/CC based on the timing of past releases.

• 6. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                    thomaso81047027 Level 1

Why am I paying for Lightroom CC on a continual monthly basis when it doesn't support files from my new Canon 5d Mark IV.

Can I get a refund from you guys until you get with the program????

• 7. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you serious? Every time a new camera is introduced we get this same argument. If you want to use Lightroom then you had better get used to how things work. Adobe will provide an update that will support that camera as soon as it possibly can. It's the way it always works with any software that supports raw images. There has to be time for Adobe or any other software company to provide support for new cameras. Support has to be added for each model, not just each camera manufacturer. And remember that it isn't just this new Canon model that has to be supported. There are a lot of other camera makers out there as well.

• 8. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                        thomaso81047027 Level 1

I guess I am just a Luddite. I have two original Canon 5d bodies and finally upgraded to the Mark IV.

I have paid for Lightroom all the way from version II through to CC and I can’t remember how many versions of Photoshop.

Obviously Canon has had the Mark IV body out in numerous pros hands for testing for a long time.

Why can’t Adobe get ahead of the curve and work with the Mark IV in beta instead of taking my auto pay monthly and giving me nothing back.

I guess I just have to go back to my old 5ds until this “innovative” software company can get its act together!!

Tom O'Connor

toc36tok@mac.com

2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't seem to have read the previous reply from Jim Hess.

Adobe is in the same queue as the rest of us for access to new cameras.

If Canon included Save to DNG in their cameras, there would be no need for us to wait for a Camera Raw update. So is it Adobe's fault or Canon's that consumers are inconvenienced?

Adobe supports dozens of new camera Raw formats every year because camera manufacturers refuse to include DNG.

For the record, Capture One Pro (Lightroom's main competitor) does not yet support the Mark IV either.

• 10. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                            Jakub Mosur Level 1

I agree with Tom. The ball is in Adobe's court, they better get their act together, and quick. Otherwise there will be thousands of pissed off Canon shooters, myself included.

• 11. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Then you need to read the responses again. If Canon had provided DNG as an option, support would have been there on day 1 - so ask Canon why they failed to do so. Adobe don't get pre-release access to new cameras, and late changes to file formats mean they can only begin the support process when they do get production bodies.

• 12. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

Why can’t Adobe get ahead of the curve and work with the Mark IV in beta instead of taking my auto pay monthly and giving me nothing back.

What Canon beta?

• 13. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

Jakub Mosur wrote:

I agree with Tom. The ball is in Adobe's court, they better get their act together, and quick. Otherwise there will be thousands of pissed off Canon shooters, myself included.

Once you and Tom actually understand how this all works, you'll hopefully redirect your anger where it belongs. At Canon!

• 14. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Otherwise there will be thousands of pissed off Canon shooters, myself included

And those users should be angry at Canon for not working with third party raw developers and giving them prerelease bodies so they can add support for the new cameras in their software before they are shipped to consumers. They should call Canon and demand this. Adobe and others like DXO happily work with camera makers in advance if they care to. The big camera makers refuse to do this and that causes the delay. They don't seem to realize that very few people use their software for raw development and that an overwhelming majority uses third-party software. They need to be told. It's not Adobe, DXO, phase one, etc who deserve your ire, it is Canon. We're starting to see more reviewers who get prerelease bodies complain that Canon and Nikon did not work with Adobe to include support but that is unfortunately still rare and too many of these 'reviews' are just fawning over the new camera in thanks of getting to play with them early and for free. To me a camera is useless if there is no support yet in Lightroom camera raw so I will not buy until that support is in place.

• 15. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                      BKKDon Level 4

Why do we have to see this rubbish posted time after time for each and every new camera that comes onto the market. Don't people actually understand that Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Hasselblad, etc., etc., have no affiliation with Adobe and Adobe has to buy a camera and demosaic the RAW files themselves.

And then create their own lens corrections, etc.

The simple fact of the matter is that Adobe will do it when they can and no amount of whinging by people who buy technology for technology's sake without the support they want can ever change that fact.

• 16. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                        Cattleya007

Monat für Monat fallen Kosten für LR CC an.

Update für 5d Mark IV lässt aber auf sich warten.

Wiso wird kassiert ohne Gegnleistung ?

• 17. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                          wgravesphoto Level 1

We see this with each release because of how Adobe has decided to treat its customers from a communication and customer service standpoint.  Adobe is the gold standard for RAW image processing, and they advertise the products as such.  That said, and considering users are paying a monthly fee for access, Adobe's decision to not at least communicate an estimated release date is - plain and simple - poor customer service.

Let's all keep in mind that beta support for the 5D Mark IV files has been released to Adobe's beta community, something most of us have no access to.  Capture One, on the other hand, has opened up its beta to the general public, and does support the Mark IV files.

Source: https://www.phaseone.com/beta

The Mark IV is a $3500 camera.  People purchasing it have top-of-the-line demands and expectations.  If Adobe wants to cater to this market, it should do a better job from a customer service standpoint.  Period.

• 18. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

People who can afford that kind of money should also be professional about their purchase decisions. While sometimes a new camera has to be bought urgently, it's usually a discretionary decision. You wouldn't buy an electric car without checking you have a convenient power point, would you?

OK, I do think Adobe get some aspects wrong. As a minimum, I think they should import the unsupported raw files, so at least new pictures can be managed in Library. I'd like to see Develop process embedded JPEG previews too, so you'd have some adjustment capability with unsupported cameras. Third I'd like a "pretend mode" where the user can tell Lr to process the raw file as if it came from another body. That won't always work but would save a few folk from hacking the model name in Exiftool.

But let's not take the blame from where it belongs - camera makers who fail to offer a DNG option that would be supported out of the box, and refuse to give Adobe production bodies. Because that would be what Adobe need to communicate.

• 19. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

wgravesphoto wrote:

Let's all keep in mind that beta support for the 5D Mark IV files has been released to Adobe's beta community, something most of us have no access to.

You know that fact how? IF you are in the Adobe pre-release program, stating that a beta exists that supports this camera body would be a serious NDA violation for you! IF you're not in the Adobe pre-release, you're not in the position to speak about what's going on there.

• 20. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

The Mark IV is a $3500 camera. People purchasing it have top-of-the-line demands and expectations.

And they should: from Canon! They are not paying Adobe $3500. It is reasonable for them to demand that Canon works with third party raw converters to have support from day 1. If Canon doesn't work with Adobe, Phase One, etc to get this at-release support, they should hold off buying new cameras from them and tell Canon that that is why they are not yet buying. It is not reasonable to suggest third-party software developers somehow have support from day 1 if those third party developers need to buy the camera the same way you did from a camera store, test it, reverse engineer the new raw files, profile the camera in a variety of lighting conditions and lenses and build a model from which the profiles are generated, test the updater for obvious issues, and then put it out to release. This is a process that realistically takes several weeks if they are moving very fast. This would all be circumvented if Canon/Nikon would send a prerelease body the same way as they do with advance reviewers to Adobe/Phase One, etc. They don't do this simply because they apparently see third-party raw developers as competitors instead of partners.

It is reasonable to demand from Adobe what they pay for : regular updates of the raw converter to support new cameras and they are exactly getting that. Adobe regularly gives you updates and it is easy enough to see how long we are out approximately until the next one. It would be crazy for Adobe for every new camera that comes out to change there release schedule and to announce that the next update will support it. This camera is just one of many new releases. New cameras come out all through the year and Lightroom tends to be one of the first to officially support them especially if they are from Canon or Nikon. Lightroom updates come out about once every two months. The last one was July 25. The next release is likely right around the corner within the next few weeks. It will almost definitely support this new Canon camera.

• 21. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                                  wgravesphoto Level 1

I know that fact because Google.  Do a little research before tossing out accusations and swinging in to defend Adobe.  Jared Polin (http://froknowsphoto.com/) has been converting the Mark IV's RAW files to DNG using a beta of Adobe Camera Raw for weeks. 

As for people pointing fingers at Canon, I buy cameras from Canon.  I buy software from Adobe.  And as I said, the customer service issue is the lack of communication with their customer base.  Honestly - they have a blog.  A simple, "We are hoping to have it ready within..." or "We are working hard to include support in the next release" would go miles with the community.  It sends a bad message to the pro market when they proudly announce iPhone 7 support on day 1 but can't even give an ETA on a camera like the Mark IV.

• 22. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

Jao vdL wrote:

The Mark IV is a $3500 camera. People purchasing it have top-of-the-line demands and expectations.

And they should: from Canon! They are not paying Adobe $3500. It is reasonable for them to demand that Canon works with third party raw converters to have support from day 1.

By contrast, Fuji's new X-T2 was supported on day 1.

• 23. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                                      Martinomac Level 1

As was support for 1DXII so its normal for us working pros to voice our opinions regarding having full support for 5DIV.  It just shows how much we love this software. Remember, some of us actually rely on it to assist in our profession, so if you're a hobbyist, please refrain from saying 'its coming'...we all know that, we're just bringing awareness to Adobe and hopefully some Canon reps see it too.

• 24. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                                        wgravesphoto Level 1

Well-said, Martinomac.  I feel like a lot of those valiantly defending Adobe in this case are not relying on their cameras to pay the bills. 

• 25. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                                          Jakub Mosur Level 1

Thank you Martinomac! Many of us use these cameras to support our families!

All we are asking for is a little transparency.

• 26. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                                            sciulli999 Level 1

You don't have to be a pro to use a 5D IV or Lightroom. I don't see anyone "valiantly" defending Adobe either. I see a lot of "this is how it's always been with Canon/Adobe so we'll just have to wait." I doubt complaining on a forum will have any effect on Adobe changing how they release updates.

• 27. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

wgravesphoto wrote:

I know that fact because Google. Do a little research before tossing out accusations and swinging in to defend Adobe. Jared Polin (http://froknowsphoto.com/) has been converting the Mark IV's RAW files to DNG using a beta of Adobe Camera Raw for weeks. `

He'll next tell you he got Mexico to pay for the camera.

I'm a pre-release for Adobe. Since 1994! Those that know can't say. We're under NDA. Those that don't know will make up stuff and the naïve will believe it.

Google "The moon landing is fake" if you're so naïve to believe that's true.

WHEN Adobe is finished testing the software, it will be released. IF you don't see it today, it's not finished. Live with it.

• 28. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                                                sciulli999 Level 1

At least we're all subscribed to this thread and someone will probably post a minute after Adobe releases the update so we'll know!

• 29. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

They are rather transparent about this. They publicly announced they will support the mk iv including the dual raw files. Also they will support new cameras with new updates that come regularly. Frankly since I do make money of my photography, I don't upgrade cameras until my entire toolchain is available. Which usually is about a month after release. Even then I wait quite a bit until all bugs are out of the new camera. Too many times there have been issues with new releases like the autofocus bugs, light leaks, oil spraying shutters, etc etc. those take a while and I just don't have time to deal with sending a camera in for repair even if covered by recall.

• 30. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                                                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When a particular camera gets supported by a public release of LR depends on timing.  If the 1DX was supported from day 1 it’s probably because Adobe had the camera for longer and most importantly they HAPPENED TO release LR around the time the camera was available to the public. 

Adobe has an internal “schedule” and release cycle that governs their timing of releases every three to four months as they are fixing bugs and adding features so need time to test and that “schedule” is NOT timed with camera releases, although sometimes the releases of camera and third-party software do coincide.  The same could be said for camera manufacturers they release things when they are ready but also roughly timed for sale just  before camera shows and announce new things at the camera shows.  Europe’s Photokina starts this week, so if Canon released a new camera for sale just ahead of that show, they likely anticipate either the competition announcing something that would compete with it, so they want people to buy theirs first, or they will be announcing something else and don’t want people to be confused. 

Adobe is FULLY AWARE their schedule doesn’t coincide with every new camera release.  Demanding that Adobe release their software as soon as the camera is available for sale is like buying an electric car and demanding that your office building install electric recharging stations in its parking garage the first time you drive your new electric car to work.  You could easily have just delayed your camera purchase or at least usage until the software was ready.  Having the 1DX supported from Day1 was just an accident of timing not something that usually happens, so while it’s understandable why you have an expectation of simultaneous software and camera release, since it happened to you once before, that expectation isn’t realistic in the general case.

• 32. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

Everyone who has attempted to answer this problem has given reasonable answers. Problem is that the users who are complaining don't want to accept the way the system works. They won't accept that it takes time to get a new version ready for release. And in their minds it was all Adobe's fault and they are being victimized because of Adobe's lack of effort. It's pitiful. Probably the best thing to do is just let them keep starting new threads and continued to complain. Eventually the release will come, and then all of this will be in the past.

• 33. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

JimHess wrote:Eventually the release will come, and then all of this will be in the past.

Until the next camera is released. Then we get to do this all over again. Back to Einstein's definition of insanely.

• 34. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

It really gets old, doesn't it? It's a question that almost ought to be ignored.

• 35. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???
                                                                            jordant70096652 Level 1

Recent conversation on Twitter between myself and Adobe, it doesn't help at all but it's all they are saying.

Jordan Tan (@jordantanphoto) on Twitter

• 36. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

jordant70096652 wrote:

Recent conversation on Twitter between myself and Adobe, it doesn't help at all but it's all they are saying.

Jordan Tan (@jordantanphoto) on Twitter

Ah, there's a difference, a big difference, between a conversation and a monologue.

• 38. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

Your efforts would be better served having a 'conversation' or probably monologue with Canon. Ask them why they didn't provide a beta raw file or camera to Adobe so folks like you wouldn't have to wait. Ask them to do the same with the other 3rd party raw software manufacturers. Or to put an option on the camera just to spit out a DNG.

• 39. Re: Canon 5D mark iv compatibility - WHEN???

I think it's a lot more fulfilling to blame Adobe and to make themselves feel victimized.

1 2 3 Previous Next