9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2006 8:53 AM by Newsgroup_User

Missing Graphics and Text

Parma_Ed Level 1
      Hey All,

I hope you can help me, because my client has a big meeting next week and I'm still having problems tracking down what the problem is here. I've been testing my flash website in both Firefox and IE and both look A-Okay. I've also had several people I know check out the site from their computers and all is well for them, too. However, both my client AND the folks they're presenting to are having trouble viewing the site. There are missing graphics and text on a couple of different pages and I'm tearing out my hair as to why.

I've had my client upgrade their flash player to the latest version and make sure they also have the latest version of the web browser they are using (they tried both IE 6 and Firefox 1.5). Still no improvement.

To give you an idea of what they're seeing, I made a web page with snapshots of what I see vs what they see. You can view it here:

http://www.fatcow.reallivesports.com/problems.html

I'm not sure what to do or if anyone can tell me anything from looking at these images.

I'm using Flash 8 Professional and outputting Flash 8 files, as I'm using the FLVPlayback component in the site.

If you need more information to help, please let me know what you need and I'll try and provide it. I'm really up against the wall here.

Ed
        • 1. Re: Missing Graphics and Text
          joeq Level 1
          'fraid i can't help you but, as an aside, you might want to consider doing something about all those mailto links. you're setting them up to receive boatloads of spam.
          • 2. Re: Missing Graphics and Text
            Mark-Bennett
            The pages in the screengrabs are a combination of html, images and css is that right? Or is it ALL flash?

What file format are the images in? PNGs?

What font is the text in? From the look of the screen grabs a lot of the text looks wrong, so could be a missing font issue.

Very hard to say what might be wrong from screengrabs - no chance of getting one of the broken pages on a site?
            • 3. Missing Graphics and Text
              Parma_Ed Level 1
              It's all flash. All I did was take an html page and slap the .swf in the middle of it. That's all.

The images are all .png, but the ones that I see missing from their screen grabs are all graphics made inside of Flash itself.

I understand why the fonts look different...because once upon a time they weren't seeing ANY text at all. So, I went and changed all text to use the default system font of _sans. Now they see text. Sure, it doesn't match up to my text, but at least they see SOMETHING.

The live site is currently password protected and I don't want to post access to it here. If you're interested in helping me out, email me at edward.kaminski@gmail.com and I'll give you the info you need to check out the site.

Ed
              • 4. Re: Missing Graphics and Text
                SveinMikkel.com
                I can't really understand whats wrong..
                If I got it right, you have a normal stright-forward HTML-page with text, pictures and a flash .fla in the middle.. right?

Enyways, there have to be something wrong with the HTML-script. I can't imagine something else.

Check your script in a HTML-editor and see if you miss a < in a tag or something.. That could mess it all up.

Happy smile,
                Svein Mikkel.
                • 5. Re: Missing Graphics and Text
                  Mark-Bennett Level 1
                  Been thinking about your weird problem, and have a few thoughts...

Do the 'missing' images use masks? I've have issues in the past (although nothing like your problem) when importing ai/swf files from Adobe Illustrator in Flash. When they come in they often use an unnecessary mask in each symbol, which produces weird affects sometimes.

Also, does the client's machine have the latest DirectX and graphic drivers on their machine? Windows Update should help them with that.

The font issues should be easier to sort out, any text that doesn't change should be 'Static' and any text fields that are 'dynamic' should have the correct font embedded.
                  • 6. Missing Graphics and Text
                    Parma_Ed Level 1
                    Hey All,

I've finally had some success and the client can now see the website just like I see it. Seems it was a Flash Player version problem. They swore to me up and down that they got the latest version of everything I told them to get....they didn't. I got on the phone with the client and walked them through completely uninstalling their Flash Player, and then installing the latest version and....voila....everything works now. Apparently, they were viewing the site with a version 7 player. The site requires version 8, as I'm using some features that is only supported by 8. Just to be sure this doesn't happen to anyone else or ever again, I've revamped my flash player/internet browser detection code and now all is well. If they don't have at least version 8.0.0.0, they're redirected to download the latest player.

The thing I don't understand, though, is why were the GRAPHICS disappearing? These were pages where I wasn't even using the Flash 8-only components, yet the graphics were having problems. Bizarre.

Problem solved. Thanks to everyone who lent a hand. I greatly appreciate it.

Ed
                    • 7. Re: Missing Graphics and Text
                      Level 7
                      i was going to say it must be a player version issue or they needed to clear their cache.
                      as for why they werent appearing - you must have been using some kind of flash 8 only feature with
                      the images - like they were progressive jpgs or converted to movie clips with some filter added?

--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
                      --> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
                      --> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
                      --> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
                      --> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Parma_Ed wrote:
                      > Hey All,
                      >
                      > I've finally had some success and the client can now see the website just like
                      > I see it. Seems it was a Flash Player version problem. They swore to me up
                      > and down that they got the latest version of everything I told them to
                      > get....they didn't. I got on the phone with the client and walked them through
                      > completely uninstalling their Flash Player, and then installing the latest
                      > version and....voila....everything works now. Apparently, they were viewing
                      > the site with a version 7 player. The site requires version 8, as I'm using
                      > some features that is only supported by 8. Just to be sure this doesn't
                      > happen, I've revamped my flash player/internet browser detection code and now
                      > all is well. If they don't have at least version 8.0.0.0, they're redirected
                      > to download the latest player.
                      >
                      > The thing I don't understand, though, is why were the GRAPHICS disappearing?
                      > These were pages where I wasn't even using the Flash 8-only components, yet the
                      > graphics were having problems. Bizarre.
                      >
                      > Problem solved. Thanks to everyone who lent a hand. I greatly appreciate it.
                      >
                      > Ed
                      >
                      • 8. Re: Missing Graphics and Text
                        Parma_Ed Level 1
                        Yeah, that's the strange thing. I wasn't using ANY Flash 8 only effects on the graphics. In fact, they were simple geometric shapes that I had created inside of flash...no imported .jpgs, .pngs, etc. Just simple rectangles with curved edges. Why the older player couldn't handle these shapes is a complete mystery to me.

Now, if they would have gone to the section of the site where I'm using the FLVPlayback component to show streaming video and had problems, then I could understand. But not being able to show a couple of rectangles? Come on!
                        • 9. Re: Missing Graphics and Text
                          Level 7
                          yeah - weird - makes me want to start testing this...

--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
                          --> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
                          --> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
                          --> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
                          --> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Parma_Ed wrote:
                          > Yeah, that's the strange thing. I wasn't using ANY Flash 8 only effects on the
                          > graphics. In fact, they were simple geometric shapes that I had created inside
                          > of flash...no imported .jpgs, .pngs, etc. Just simple rectangles with curved
                          > edges. Why the older player couldn't handle these shapes is a complete mystery
                          > to me.
                          >
                          > Now, if they would have gone to the section of the site where I'm using the
                          > FLVPlayback component to show streaming video and had problems, then I could
                          > understand. But not being able to show a couple of rectangles? Come on!
                          >