12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 9:22 AM by Rick Gerard

Composition not in focus

EddieAtWork

Hi,

I have 30 sec clip which contains of several composistions.

In the final master I have a composition copied into two layers, but cropped in different time intervals.

The problem is that this same comp is in focus with sharp images in the first layer, but in the second layer and later time interval the images are suddenly blurry / unfocused.

Any idea how come? Seems strange since it's the same comp and no effect is put onto it.

/Eddie

• 1. Re: Composition not in focus
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

we need proper screenshots of your Ae interface to see what exactly is going on. video capture is also welcome but not a necessity.

• 2. Re: Composition not in focus
            EddieAtWork Level 1

Of course, here are two screenshots.

AdobeAE-unfocus-01.jpg

AdobeAE-unfocus-02.jpg

• 3. Re: Composition not in focus
              EddieAtWork Level 1

I may add the info that this file is originally from a purchased template bought from Envato Market.

• 4. Re: Composition not in focus

thanks for the arrows and text but don't crop your screenshots as they may present valuable information. if these 2 comps are not above 100% then what appears to be a softening of the image could be the precomp itself having a motion blur of the layers, making the motion blur as it moves which is generally a good thing. this could also be depth of field if the scene inside is 3D with DOF by the Ae Camera. when you go inside the precomp in the same exact frame, is the text soft as well? screeshots please of the full interface and inside the precomp. if you want you can upload just the project file (aep) by any cloud service and we can see exactly what is the setup that's causing this. intentionally or not.

• 5. Re: Composition not in focus
                  EddieAtWork Level 1

Ok, thanks, i am quite new to AE so this with softening and 3d with DOF is unfamiliar to me.

No, the text is crisp and clear when I doubleclick and comes to the original text comp.

Hold on while I create new screenshots.

/Eddie

• 6. Re: Composition not in focus
                    EddieAtWork Level 1

Ok, more screenshot. Hope you can follow the hierarchy, the numbers is from the purchased template, a bit confusing if you ask me...

AdobeAE-unfocus-Master-layer5.jpg

AdobeAE-unfocus-Master-layer4.jpg

AdobeAE-unfocus-Comp2.jpg

AdobeAE-unfocus-Comp1.jpg

AdobeAE-unfocus-Comp15.jpg

AdobeAE-unfocus-Comp04.jpg

AdobeAE-unfocus-Comp14.jpg

AdobeAE-unfocus-Shot48.jpg

AdobeAE-unfocus-Shot50.jpg

Best regards

/Eddie

• 7. Re: Composition not in focus

Ok, thanks, i am quite new to AE so this with softening and 3d with DOF is unfamiliar to me.

this is not it.

it's rather complicated to know exactly, because there could have been a number of reasons this has happened. my guess is in your "Master 720" the Main Comp 2 has been pushed beyond 100% scale.

Look here at "Main Comp 2" placed in your Master Comp "Master 720". in your master it looks soft but at this scale

looking inside your master comp "Master 720" it looks sharp, but the scale is different

so this means in your master comp "Master 720" there is probably an upscaling of "Main Comp 2" above 100% causing this softening artifact. see my suggestion in the 2nd response:

if these 2 comps are not above 100%

click on "Main Comp 2" layer that is placed inside "Master 720" and type UU, you will see if there have been any modified properties. if there aren't any keyframes, press reset next to transform. if there are, this is part of the design of this fine so if you remove them there will be no animation to this layer so you should take that into consideration.

you could also upload the aep project file (no need to send the whole thing, just the aep file) and I could examine it further.

• 8. Re: Composition not in focus
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you change any settings in the compositions that are nested in your project? The bigger screenshots help but when you are having problems with a layer in the timeline the first thing you should do is select the layer and press the U key twice to reveal the modified properties of that layer. I'll run through the troubleshooting process so you have a better idea of how to find our where problems lie. For example this screenshot:

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 5.58.50 AM.png

Shows us that there is a text layer and above that there is a composition named Frame but we have no idea what is in that composition or what it is contributing to the scene. Below the selected text layer we see a shape layer, which I assume is the blue background, then Gray Solid 1. The Gray Solid does not appear to be doing anything in the frame. I can also see that this comp's name is Shot 50. Without further explanation or without revealing all modified properties in the layer I can only assume that this comp does not require the top or bottom layer and that the reason you are showing us the screenshot of Shot 50 is that it is part of your problem. The first thing I would do when diagnosing a problem is turn off or solo the layers one at a time to see what is what in the comp and then press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties in the layer and start turning off effects and other things that may be causing problems. In your first set of screenshots you showed that this layer seemed to be sharp. That makes sense because text layers are continuously rasterized so no matter what scale they are or where they are in relationship to a camera depth of field turned off, the text layer will be sharp. This does not apply to text layers that are in nested comps unless you have Collapse Transformations turned on.

The screenshot for Shot 48, the image if the Samsung device is set up a little differently, there is no shape layer so I'm now assuming that the nested Frame comp is the blue boarder and that the Gray solid is not needed. I don't know if the image of the Samsung device is scaled or not. I do see that both these screenshots are shown at 100% magnification factor. (NOTE - You can work faster if you set your comp resolution to auto instead of Full. This makes a huge difference when trying to preview your comp at smaller magnification factors.

In the screenshot showing Composition 14 with the Transform effect showing for layer 525 - Shot 48 I can only guess that the layer is scaled to 25% or less and that something is happening to the transform effect that is driven by an expression.

Digging a little further I see that your screenshot of Composition 4 is being viewed at 25% magnification factor so it is hard to judge the sharpness of the nested comps. Changing the resolution to auto would show you (Quarter) in the resolution setting of the comp panel but it would not degrade the preview at all.

Moving up to your screenshot of Master 720 I see that the CTI is over a portion of Main Comp 2  on the fourth layer and that there is nothing above or below layer 4 at that time. Comparing the size of Main comp 2 in this screenshot with the screenshots of Main Comp 1 the layout seems to be identical:

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 6.47.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 6.48.14 AM.png

So this leads me to suspect that the fourth layer, Main Comp 2 came from Main Comp 1, and that Main Comp 2 has been scaled up to about 200 % or more. This explains the softness.

You have a mix of comps turned into 3D layers, which is OK, but those nested 3D layers have 2D layers inside them - See your last screenshot. In order for you to take advantage of collapse transformations and preserve as much detail as possible in the nested comps you must change all layers inside the nested 3D comps to 3D layers and then turn on collapse transformations in the entire chain.

If there are Cameras in any of the nested comps you may run into problems because the only camera that is used with collapsing transformations is the camera in the top comp. I don't see any cameras in any of your compositions so you may be ok. If there are cameras in the nested comps then this was a very poorly designed template.

I hope this helps and I hope it helps you diagnose problems.

• 9. Re: Composition not in focus
                          EddieAtWork Level 1

The magnification to 125% was on purpose due to client comment. I thought it was a convinient shortcut... But I'll try to solve it somehow.

Thanks very much for the help!

• 10. Re: Composition not in focus
                            EddieAtWork Level 1

Thanks for detailed walkthrough! I learned a lot here.

• 11. Re: Composition not in focus

using the term "magnification" could be misleading.  Magnification is related to how you view your composition window (zooming in and out to see things better). You are scaling your precomp so think of precomping as merging the elements as a rendered movie. If you make it larger, you will soften the image...in this case 2 approaches come to mind:

1. Turn the collapse transformation switch on for Main Comp 2. Turning this switch on for a precomp layer will "see" through your precomp and where it can - give you the ability to scale without loosing quality. The results could be unexpected because it can affect many things. you might need to dig in further down the hierarchy and check more precomps with this switch.

2. The second approach is much more complicated and it involve scaling your elements from The ground up. This means finding which elements to parent to a null and scale that. Sometimes you have to get into the composition settings and make it bigger.

Lets hope that the collapse approach will do the trick

• 12. Re: Composition not in focus
                                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

EddieAtWork wrote:

The magnification to 125% was on purpose due to client comment. I thought it was a convinient shortcut... But I'll try to solve it somehow.

Thanks very much for the help!

The magnification of Main Comp 2 in this screenshot

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 9.21.29 AM.png

has got to be closer to 200, maybe 250%... You can get away with 120 - 125% but no more than that.