7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2006 4:45 AM by Newsgroup_User

Holy crap!  IE update inactivates active-x -BEWARE!

In case you have not noticed the latest Microsoft Windows update (KB912812, part of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-013) has a feature that KILLS Flash components by inactivating the active-x controls until the user clicks on it. It also adds a nasty dotted type box around the Flash element on mouse over, (or any active-x control component).

So a user first sees this ugly box around the element (on mouse over), then they are asked to click to activate, (via an alt tag), and ONLY then does the active-x controls allow the flash components to work. This happens EACH time the page is loaded!

If use cool Flash nav bars forget it, they need to be clicked twice, once to activate the active-x and then once to actually use the button!!

This happens with Windows Media Player too and many of the other common active-x elements.

This is from Microsoft website:

"Users cannot directly interact with Microsoft ActiveX controls loaded by the APPLET, EMBED, or OBJECT elements. Users can interact with such controls after activating their user interfaces. This topic describes how Microsoft Internet Explorer handles ActiveX controls, shows how to load ActiveX controls so their interfaces are activated, and describes the impact of this behavior on accessibility tools and applications hosting the WebBrowser Control."

Here is the link describing the new update:
      http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-013.mspx

This update is just now being installed as everyone uses their auto-updates.

I JUST CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT I HAVE NOT HEARD OF THIS OR THAT THERE IS NOT UPROAR YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      THIS, IN MY OPINION COMPLETELY RUINS FLASH.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INSIGHT AS TO WHAT MACROMEDIA (ADOBE) IS PLANNING TO DO ABOUT THIS OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION PLEASE PLEASE PASS IT ALONG TO THE COMMUNITY!

Jac
        • 1. Re: Holy crap!  IE update inactivates active-x -BEWARE!
          Here is a better, more direct link, to the dirty details of 912812

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912812
          • 2. Re: Holy crap!  IE update inactivates active-x -BEWARE!
            Level 7
            honestly - this has been news for weeks/months - been discussed here maybe 100 times - and just
            today were a handful of threads because not everybody thinks of searching the forum or google first.
            Information has been on Macromedia's site, Adobe's site and countless blogs...

http://www.keyframer.com/?p=24

--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
            --> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
            --> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
            --> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
            --> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Jacg wrote:
            > In case you have not noticed the latest Microsoft Windows update (KB912812,
            > part of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-013) has a feature that KILLS Flash
            > components by inactivating the active-x controls until the user clicks on it.
            > It also adds a nasty dotted type box around the Flash element on mouse over,
            > (or any active-x control component).
            >
            > So a user first sees this ugly box around the element (on mouse over), then
            > they are asked to click to activate, (via an alt tag), and ONLY then does the
            > active-x controls allow the flash components to work. This happens EACH time
            > the page is loaded!
            >
            > If use cool Flash nav bars forget it, they need to be clicked twice, once to
            > activate the active-x and then once to actually use the button!!
            >
            > This happens with Windows Media Player too and many of the other common
            > active-x elements.
            >
            > This is from Microsoft website:
            >
            > "Users cannot directly interact with Microsoft ActiveX controls loaded by the
            > APPLET, EMBED, or OBJECT elements. Users can interact with such controls after
            > activating their user interfaces. This topic describes how Microsoft Internet
            > Explorer handles ActiveX controls, shows how to load ActiveX controls so their
            > interfaces are activated, and describes the impact of this behavior on
            > accessibility tools and applications hosting the WebBrowser Control."
            >
            > Here is the link describing the new update:
            > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-013.mspx
            >
            > This update is just now being installed as everyone uses their auto-updates.
            >
            > I JUST CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT I HAVE NOT HEARD OF THIS OR THAT THERE IS NOT
            > UPROAR YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            > THIS, IN MY OPINION COMPLETELY RUINS FLASH.
            >
            > IF ANYONE HAS ANY INSIGHT AS TO WHAT MACROMEDIA (ADOBE) IS PLANNING TO DO
            > ABOUT THIS OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION PLEASE PLEASE PASS IT ALONG TO THE
            > COMMUNITY!
            >
            > Jac
            >
            • 3. Re: Holy crap!  IE update inactivates active-x -BEWARE!
              I now see I have been sleeping on the job! I ma not a developer, I use Flash everyday in my website designs, but as long as it is working and doing what I want then I do not spend too much time monitoring the news....I never thought this would actually happen, boy was I asleep!

But as I see and search all the "fixes", does anyone have the better solutions narrowed down? Seems like the javascript fix is the best.

any other links to quick fixes for us non-programmer types?
              • 4. Re: Holy crap!  IE update inactivates active-x -BEWARE!
                Level 7
                > IF ANYONE HAS ANY INSIGHT AS TO WHAT MACROMEDIA (ADOBE) IS PLANNING TO DO
                > ABOUT THIS OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION PLEASE PLEASE PASS IT ALONG TO THE
                > COMMUNITY!

There is nothing they can do, other than make some new html templates and
                provide information (like Microsoft has done) on how you can fix your
                existing web sites.
                --
                Jeckyl

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Holy crap!  IE update inactivates active-x -BEWARE!
                  SveinMikkel.com
                  This thread has been out on theese boards 100 times.. Visit the forum daily or have a look around before posting.

Enyways.. There is an easy solution for this. Just add some extra script below the last </object> tag and upload ieupdate.js and your good to go!!

Read more about this on some of the other threads or search internet.

Happy smile,
                  Svein Mikkel.
                  • 6. Re: Holy crap!  IE update inactivates active-x -BEWARE!
                    yep....I FEEL VERY STUPID NOW, I admit, I now see tons of info on this. I have implemented the adobe/macro js fix, seems to work fine.

I have seen other js fixes, the one about adding extra script below the last </object> tag and upload ieupdate.js sounds easy, I think I saw it somewhere, but do you have the resource for that? or a link to get it?

I have about 40 websites that I need to update now and that is going to be a load of work, damn, this does seem silly....

My apologies for being so late on this but I noticed some major sites that have not fixed this and I did not see any quick fixes out there so I thought this a new bomb.

• 7. Re: Holy crap!  IE update inactivates active-x -BEWARE!
                      Level 7
                      yeah, it is a pain for everyone - we're alll in the same boat with this - I am sure in the future
                      there will be built-in work-arounds, which to me makes the Eolas patent that much more of a waste of
                      time.

Jacg wrote:
                      > yep....I FEEL VERY STUPID NOW, I admit, I now see tons of info on this. I have
                      > implemented the adobe/macro js fix, seems to work fine.
                      >
                      > I have seen other js fixes, the one about adding extra script below the last
                      > </object> tag and upload ieupdate.js sounds easy, I think I saw it somewhere,
                      > but do you have the resource for that? or a link to get it?
                      >
                      > I have about 40 websites that I need to update now and that is going to be a
                      > load of work, damn, this does seem silly....
                      >
                      > My apologies for being so late on this but I noticed some major sites that
                      > have not fixed this and I did not see any quick fixes out there so I thought
                      > this a new bomb.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      1 person found this helpful