10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 12:53 PM by rob day

Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages

thanser Level 1

But they have the exact same color fill - Pantone 286C.

How can they appear differently on different pages of my InDesign layout?  All pages uses the same master page, as well.

You can SEE the difference in the color on the monitor and in print - one blue is very vibrant and saturated and the next page is more muted and unsaturated. Select each filled shape and they both use the same color - Pantone 286C.  The shapes are used as colored page backgrounds.

Any suggestions?  This file was created from a company-provided template I received.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is it possible that you have a transparent object on one of the pages?

Transparent objects on a page would force that page through a transparency flattener.

Check your Edit>Transparency Blend Space and ensure it's set to CMYK

You check if there's transparency on your page with the Windows>Pages and check for a checkered box beside the page thumbnail.

• 2. Re: Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages
            thanser Level 1

Not a transparency issue, no. I just checked. 

Document setup is set to Print.

Edit>Transparency Blend Space is set to CMYK.

It seems to be a matter of the right-hand page only. The right-hand page (this is a spread layout) displays the color as less saturated compared to the left-hand page.

All pages use the A-master.  (Actually, the A-master has nothing on it, FWIW.)

What's going on here?  What is it about the right-hand page?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you please post a screen shot or provide the document and images as a packaged file?

• 4. Re: Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

But they have the exact same color fill - Pantone 286C.

Is the swatch Color Type set to spot or process?

Not a transparency issue, no. I just checked. 

The Pages panel's checkerboard transparency icon could be turned off. Any transparent object on the page, visible or not, could affect the color display—the object itself doesn't have to have an effect applied. To be sure check via the Flattener Preview panel:

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 11.33.51 AM.png

• 5. Re: Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages

Also when you are checking if the color type is process, look at Ink Manager. Spot colors can be converted to process there as well as in the Swatch Options dialog

• 6. Re: Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages
                    thanser Level 1

Thanks, everyone.

I now have the Pages panel's checkerboard transparency icon turned on.  Pages 1 (cover), 4-5 and 12 (backpage) show the checkerboard icon, and I've experimented with the Flattener Preview panel, also. It highlights the page in red that has transparency on it, but I looked, deleted, selected, replaced and checked everything - nothing is set to transparency. I've deleted placed images and replaced them again. No change, my blue color is still off.

I just tried inserting two new pages (spreads) and pasting in my new graphics, images and text - same thing happens. My blue is off and the Flattener Preview shows the image with a red mask.

The first and last page (single pages, not spreads) have an Illustrator graphic that's set to 30% over the blue background. (This is part of the brand guidelines.)  I can't change this, but it doesn't explain why pages 4-5 have this problem (no 30% Illustrator graphic on these pages). Of course, the blue is off on pages 1 and 12, as well.

What do I do?

• 7. Re: Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages

I've deleted placed images and replaced them again. No change, my blue color is still off.

The transparency could be in the placed images—Photoshop files need to hav a Background layer or they are considered transparent.

You haven't let us know if the Pantone color is spot or process. Does it show as a separate plate in Separation Preview?

286 is out-of-gamut to CMYK. What you are describing happens when there is an out-of-gamut color and any transparent element on the page. In that case the preview of all the page color is via the chosen blend space—CMYK in your case. Does the color shift if the blend space is set to RGB? I'm guessing not.

• 8. Re: Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages
                        thanser Level 1

>The transparency could be in the placed images—Photoshop files need to have a Background layer or they are considered transparent.

Fixed it.  In all these years of design and page layout, starting in PageMaker, how did I not know this or ever have this problem before?  I flattened my placed PSD file and now the blue color on the adjoining page is correct.

HOWEVER, page 1 and 2 have a 30% graphic placed on it, so that blue background doesn't match the rest.

How do I get around this and which is the correct color?

Again, I appreciate all of your comments and quick responses.

I'm under the gun here at work and trying to fix this.

• 9. Re: Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages
                          thanser Level 1

>You haven't let us know if the Pantone color is spot or process. Does it show as a separate plate in Separation Preview?

Spot color, I forgot to mention.

• 10. Re: Two Same-Colored Shapes Appear Differently On Different Pages

For transparency and images see this:

Re: "Transparency" (Not CMYK) not allowed, Preflight Issue

Spot color, I forgot to mention.

Check Swatches>Ink Manager. You can also convert spots into process there and it might be set in the template. Here you can see in Swatches I'm showing spot, but ink manager is set to All Process, which brings the color into my CMYK space (Uncoated FOGRA) with the transparent black rectangle:

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 3.37.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 3.38.09 PM.png

How do I get around this and which is the correct color?

Are you actually printing an extra plate spot color on press or is this job printing as CMYK?