3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 8:46 AM by Abambo

Can't find folders

toddm84795238

I have not used lightroom  in 6 months and when I open it in library  there are question marks in front of my folders. Through research I found the folders have been moved. (Not by me but by lightroom). I can't find them when I right click. The photos still come up but when trying to edit the photos I get a file not found message. Where did lightroom put my folders and how do I get them back? Also, how can I stop this from happening again.

• 1. Re: Can't find folders
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Toddm,

Please refer the link below and relink missing folders.

Re-linking Files and Folders in Lightroom « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Can't find folders
            dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom did not do anything to your folders. The folders have been moved or renamed outside of Lightroom, or possibly the drive that the folders are on is disconnected. You need to find the folders using your operating system. Once you do that and you know their location, you can reconnect in Lightroom, right-click on the folder name and select Find Missing Folder and then select the location of the folders that you just found using your operating system.

• 3. Re: Can't find folders
              Abambo Adobe Community Professional

Windows or Mac?

LR does not move folders on it's own. And if it does, it keeps track of that. That's how it should work...

Now what may have happened on a Windows system:

First: you may have moved a folder inadvertently into an other tree on the same disk. As this happens very fast, it can happen and the user does not notice it.

Second: Your drive changed the character from (P: to S: for example), because you attached an other external drive, and that one took the spot. Windows attributes those drive names on a first come first served base. If the character is taken, it allocate the next one. That character keeps being attached to the drive until the character is taken by some additional drive. This is very confusing and counter productive, not only for LR.

Fortuneatly it is easy to relink the files as shown in Julieanne's video.