12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 9:09 AM by CoralVision

Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?

CoralVision Level 1

Hello forum friends,

I am at a place where I need to replace an old-ish PC edit workstation. The seat in question is a Dell T3500 with a quadro 4000 in it, performance on current CC is awful, and there is no GPU upgrade/crossgrade that is both compatible with my chassis and on the recommended GPU list for Adobe CC. I prefer to buy and modify an off-the-shelf desktop, but I am open to other suggestions if they are as thrifty (I am capable of doing my own build, though I'd rather be chasing my deadlines than troubleshooting hardware). Can anyone who knows the compatibility matrix and development trajectory of PrPro and AE recommend a desktop chassis and GPU combination that will get me through a few years of these rapid CC updates? (Looking at you, Kevin-Monahan and Bill Gehrke, @Neil_Haugen) I do relatively long-form broadcast editing with low-intensity AE graphics (most of my 3D is motion text design) - so I am not concerned with stereo, VR, or 4K capabilities.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Eric D - CoralVision

• 1. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CoralVision wrote:

The seat in question is a Dell T3500 with a quadro 4000 in it, performance on current CC is awful, and there is no GPU upgrade/crossgrade that is both compatible with my chassis and on the recommended GPU list for Adobe CC.

Eric D - CoralVision

First thing you need to do is forget that GPU list it is of absolutely no value.

It would help if you have a budget in mind

• 2. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?
            CoralVision Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for responding.

Short answer: If I can put it together for around $2K I'll be happy...

I take pride in being thrifty, but honestly I don't have a hard spending limit. I am thinking I'd buy a baseline tower from dell or HP and increase the RAM with chips I have on hand if they're compatible, and perhaps also re-use my 3 internal HDs (an SSD boot/program drive, 1 spinner for scratch and another for cache) from the current PC. I already have monitors etc...

I think the core of the question I'm asking pertains to the hardware support life-cycle - I remember after my quadro4000 dropped off of the GPU list I had an exchange with Kevin-Monahan in which he indicated that though it was no longer "recommended" that it was still "supported" and worked fine with an older driver, though it was "getting long in the tooth." So that has me thinking about what hardware the developers are currently targeting (or rather what standards are used by the hardware they are testing on) hoping to make a purchase that will give me uninterrupted productivity for several update cycles.

I am probably rambling, sorry about that...

Eric D - CoralVision

• 3. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?

Well I would look at something like this MicroCenter computer if there is one nearby.  That would give you the opportunity to add some items like maybe a M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 SSD via an adapter card.

• 4. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?
                chrisw44157881 Level 4

build your own for half price at pcpartpicker.

• 5. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?

Well I took that as a challenge so I took my suggested $1399 MicroCenter computer with this parts list:

Intel Core i7-6700K Processor 4.0GHz

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM

Toshiba 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive

Samsung 250GB Solid State Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready

ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 Motherboard

CoolerMaster EVO Hyper 212 Cooler

EVGA 750W Bronze Power Supply

802.11n Wireless

Plus a case and keyboard and here is the pcpartpicker price

Base Total:

$1624.22
                  Mail-in Rebates:-$60.00
                  Total:$1564.22

So much for pcpartpicker at half price!

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?
                    RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you are in a production environment, you need to consider how much down time you are comfortable with, 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, more?  is there a spare computer to use, or would downtime risk jobs and clients? building the computer yourself, or buying a pre-built one that has poor warranty, may take around 1-2 weeks before troubleshooting and replacement parts are sent out. a workstation from a company that has onsite repair, or a computer from a local computer shop you can take the computer in to, might have the computer fixed in 1-3 days.

buying a 4-6 core workstation $1400-2600 and adding ram, secondary storage, and a gtx 1060, is one way to get warranty and possibly onsite support for major problems, but still be thrifty and save some money. if you are comfortable building it yourself and can have long downtimes, then you can build a very good 6 core i7 computer with ssd's for just over $2k. a local computer shop might add a couple hundred dollars over a custom built pc, but should offer support and fast repairs.

• 7. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?

I agree with RoninEdits.

If I were in business and not just a benchmarker/experimenter I would certainly consider going with the likes of SafeHarbor, Puget sound, or someone like ADK (who offers Lifetime Technical Support).

• 8. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?
                        RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

as long as safe harbor continues using some questionable parts in their custom pc builds, i would recommend folks shop elsewhere.

• 9. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?

Helpful information  Thanks

• 10. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?
                            RjL190365 Level 4

chrisw44157881 wrote:

build your own for half price at pcpartpicker.

As Bill had stated, one would have to make severe sacrifices on the CPU, GPU and disks (and perhaps even the PSU) just to get a complete build for anywhere close to $700, complete. The PCPartPicker build, before rebates, would have cost over $200 more than the MicroCenter custom build if the exact same components are used in both builds - and would have cost nearly $200 more than the MC build even after rebates.

In fact, in order to get a complete build-it-yourself PC at anywhere near $700 you'd have to drop all the way down to a dual-core i3 CPU or a non-overclockable, non-hyperthreadable i5 CPU with a non-overclockable, feature-sparse and expansion-limited motherboard based on a cheapo bandwidth-restricted chipset such as an H81 or an H110, and would also have to forego a discrete GPU completely (and may have to settle for a really cheap, horrible-quality PSU) in order to allow room for a sufficiently-sized SATA SSD and a storage HDD and a legitimate copy of Windows.

• 11. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?
                              CoralVision Level 1

Wow, you guys rock.

Very helpful information all around. I will definitely pick up the thread on the other side of the purchase and report on the results!

• 12. Re: Best PC Chassis and GPU combo to buy now?
                                CoralVision Level 1

Very helpful.

In my shop I am in a strange position - I have no clients to lose, only deadlines and pressure to maintain output volume. I also have 3 working edit stations, and so have some flexibility to direct traffic around any of those stations for down-time. On the other hand I don't particularly relish the time building and setting up (time away from Pr and Ae), and if I mess it up I will spend a lot of time and money correcting my mistakes. I'm going over to check out some of the builds and vendors you and Bill are suggesting - thanks for the homework...

Eric D - CoralVision