5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2016 9:51 AM by oliverwatson

what is the significance of track point size?

oliverwatson Level 1

I'm doing camera tracking. I have two very similar scenes and in one of them the track points are much smaller.

I assumed it was supposed to represent distance from the camera but now I'm not so sure.

• 1. Re: what is the significance of track point size?
          adamneer Level 2

You are correct. If the track point sizes (and relative triangulation targets) seem to fill the screen fairly "evenly" without a whole bunch of overlapping, and without being absolutely tiny, it generally means you got a good track and the camera will be positioned fairly well in terms of focal length. When the track points are tiny or nearly impossible to see, your camera will be placed WAY far away and you will likely end up with a lot of focal distortion in your resulting scene. There's really no great way to get AE to give you optimal results, other than selecting the right type of camera movement and starting with good quality footage with a lot of visible depth and a fair amount of movement. You can try deleting points to "hone" in on a track, but I've rarely found this method to produce significantly better tracks. If you do a lot of camera tracking, I highly suggest the script "Transform World" which allows you to correct a lot of the odd camera placements from a track. It allows you to "scale" your entire scene, so if your track results in a camera at Y=-20,000, you can scale the comp down by whatever percentage you need to get it back to within a reasonable range of 1,000 to 2,000. It will make all corrections necesary to ensure your camera isn't set to zoom 15,000 pixels as well.  You can also offset your comp so that your nulls or lights are appropriately centered and easy to work with in the various orthographic views. I find it to be an invaluable tool when using the camera tracker.

Please note: once you use Transform World to fix your scene, you are no longer able to go back and set nulls or lights from your original footage track, since the positional link has been altered, so keep that in mind.

• 2. Re: what is the significance of track point size?
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Thank you adamneer. can you post a link for the "Transform World" script? I can't find it.

• 3. Re: what is the significance of track point size?
              adamneer Level 2

My mistake, it's called "Orient World".  Not sure if links are allowed here, but it's on aescripts - Orient World - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: what is the significance of track point size?
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

of course they are allowed just not to piracy sites or malicious type of sites. we need links to know more. thank you

• 5. Re: what is the significance of track point size?
                  oliverwatson Level 1

Awesome reply. Thanks, adamneer.