21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2017 3:22 AM by Tourendal

Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore

seder3107

When I try to back up Lightroom to my external hard drive, Lightroom won't backup the catalog & says "Lightroom was unable to back up the catalog named. Please check your folder permissions, and make sure that you have available space on your backup drive."  I have more than enough space on my hard drive.

Thank you for your assistance!

• 1. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Did you check the permissions on the folder? You need read and write permissions.

To change permissions:

On Windows, right click the folder and choose Properties, then choose the Security tab.

On a Mac, I think you need to right click the folder and choose Get info.

• 2. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you using, Windows or Mac OS X, and how is the external drive formatted?

• 3. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
              seder3107 Level 1

Thanks a lot for the answer. I have been doing back ups to this folder for

more than two years and I have never had any problems so far. I have also

checked the permissions - everything o.k. I am also no longer able to do

back ups on my external hard drive anymore. So, there must be something

else wrong. Any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance, Silvia Eder

On 16 September 2016 at 22:42, Per Berntsen <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore

How much space is left on the drive?

• 5. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                  seder3107 Level 1

Thanks a lot for trying to help me. There are 1.36 TB free on my drive. I

think that should be enough to do the back-up of a LR catalogue

Thanks, Silvia

On 17 September 2016 at 00:25, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 6. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore

Would you please state what operating system you are using.

When the backup dialog box pops up select some other folder on some other drive and see if the backup goes through.

• 7. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                      Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried backing up to a different folder? Have you ever deleted old backups? How often do you backup? Maybe the folder has too many folders in it. I don't know exactly what the number would be, but it's worth questioning.

• 8. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                        seder3107 Level 1

I am using Windows 8 (64 bit version). I have already checked all

permission (they are o.k.) and there is enough space, etc. I have already

tried a completely new folder on my disk and the same procedure on an

external hard disk. Always the same reply from LR that there wasn't enough

space or a problem with permission ... It is strange, because the last

backup was 2 months ago and everything was fin (like the 20 other back ups

before ..). So, I wonder what could have been changed in the meantime that

LR is not longer able to execute the back ups anymore?

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Silvia Eder

On 17 September 2016 at 01:11, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 9. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore

How large is your LR catalog file and how is the external drive formatted?

Using the Windows file manager, File Explorer, try copying the actual catalog file to the external drive in some other folder than the backups are normally stored. Does the copy operation go through?

You say you have checked the permissions, is your Username listed in the security section and does it have Full Control for the drive and that folder?

When was the last time you restarted your computer?

• 10. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                            seder3107 Level 1

Thanks for trying to help. The actual LR catalog file is 9.92 GB and the

three last back-ups together are 23.7 GB. I have not yet formatted the

external drive, but the other backups always worked fine on both drives (on

the external backup and the usual back up folder on my hard drive). Copying

the actual catalog to another folder on the external external hard drive is

no problem. The problem really is that LR does not want to back up either

on my hard drive no on the external drive anymore. I have checked all the

permissions. They are o.k. (and by the way I have not changed anything

since the last back up in July, which worked fine too.).

Thanks, Silvia

On 17 September 2016 at 15:18, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 11. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore

The external drive has to have a format for it to hold files on it. So it is Formatted in one type or another. I want to know what the current format is. To find that out in File Explorer, the windows File Manager program, right click on the drive letter and select Properties from the Pop Up menu that appears. In the dialog window that comes up on the General tab it will state the current format of the drive. Look under the File System: entry as shown below.

Drive Properties Format.PNG

9.92GBs is a very large size for the actual LR Catalog file.

In that same dialog box, as the one above, click on the Security tab and make sure your Username is listed and when you click on your Username that Full Control is checked.

What do you mean by "The Usual Backup Folder On My Hard Drive"? Do you usually store the LR backups on one of the internal drives of your computer?

• 12. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                                seder3107 Level 1

Thanks a lot for your advice. Well, the format of the external drive is

NFTS. In the meantime I created a brand new catalog to which I imported 4

new RAW files. I tried another back-up on my hard drive disk and on the

external disk. Both of them worked perfectly fine. Thus, my old catalog

somehow seems to be corrupted. I have about 2500 edited photos in it. I

always thought that there was no limit, but maybe is it wise to create a

new catalog after 2000 photos or so? Since I did not have these problems in

the past? Or maybe size is not the reason why the catalog does not back up

anymore.

Thanks a lot for your advice. Silvia

On 17 September 2016 at 18:06, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 13. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore

The catalog file has no limit to the number of images imported into it. 2 thousand 5 hundred images is nothing. I have over 18,000 images in my catalog file and comparatively the number of images I have in my catalog is small. There are many that have well over 100,000 images in a LR catalog.

The tip off to me was the size of your catalog file. 9+GBs is extremely large for a catalog file. Mine with 18,000 images is only 277+MBs. Even if the number of images you stated is really 25,000 or even 250,000 that 9+GBs is still very large. The LR catalog is really only a database file. If you take my 18,000+ images and the size of the catalog file at 277+MBs to reach that 9+ GB mark I would need something around 650,000 images (that's six hundred thousand + images).

You could try Optimizing the catalog, File menu > Optimize Catalog and see what happens.

• 14. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                                    seder3107 Level 1

Unfortunately, Lightroom is unable to optimize the Catalog. The last

optimization (and back up) took place in July. I am not a technical person,

but maybe the Catalog is so big, because all the files are in RAW-format. I

think I read somewhere that they take a lot less space, if transformed into

dng? Are your files in RAW or another format in the catalog? Sorry, if this

is a stupid question, but as I said, I am not a technical person.

Thanks for your advice, Silvia

On 18 September 2016 at 00:48, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 15. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                                      aIngvar

I had exactly the same problem as you. No back up was possible during the last week. I tried to optimize my catalog, File Menu>Optimize Catalog, and finally got a message that my catalog was corrupt and needed to be repaired. After an automatic repair my back up worked perfectly again. I never got this message when i ticked "Optimizing Catalog" when I tried to back up my catalog.

• 16. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                                        Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
                                        seder3107 wrote:

maybe the Catalog is so big, because all the files are in RAW-format.

The files are not in the catalog. The catalog only contains references to them, as well as all the edits, keywords, etc.

Are you sure that is the catalog file (with the extension .lrcat) that is 9 GB, or is it the folder that contains the catalog?

This folder also contains the preview cache folder, which could well be 9 GB.

In any case, it seems that your catalog is corrupt, especially since you can't optimize it, and it will probably refuse to open sooner or later. You will then be given the option to try to let LR repair it, which may or may not work.

So your best bet is probably to restore your latest backup.

If you are using LR CC / LR6, the backup will be zipped, an you will need to unzip it before you can use it.

• 17. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore

This is very important!!!

Is it you haven't used LR since, or near the date/time, that last back was made in July?

Or you have been using LR all the time and hadn't thought anything about why you got that error when LR tries to do a backup.

If it is the first then all you have to do is open the last backup that was made.

• 18. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                                            seder3107 Level 1

Thanks a lot for the advice. Yes, I was way for a couple of weeks and when

I came back I should have done a back up right away. Instead I have already

started to develop about 200 photos. I will finish developing and exporting

them next week (since LR works fine apart from the back up issue) and as

soon as I am done, I will go back to my back up of July and see whether

this will save my catalog until July this year. Thanks, Silvia

On 18 September 2016 at 13:25, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 19. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                                              seder3107 Level 1

Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I will be doing next week, restoring my

last back up of July and I hope it'll work then. Thanks, Silvia

On 18 September 2016 at 11:50, Per Berntsen <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 20. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore

I ssuggest you open one of those backups now to make sure they work. you can always go back to your original catalog.

I also suggest you stop working on the current bunch of images until you see if any of the backups you have function. If they do then import those new images into the backup catalog you opened and continue to work on the images. To Write the change you have already done to them ti a sidecar file so those edits can be read by LR or another external editor use Ctrl + s keys to write the changes to the file. Then when you import those images into the backup catalog LR will ask if you want to Read the data from the file or from the LR database. You would select from the file.

• 21. Re: Lightroom doesn't do back up anymore
                                                  Tourendal Level 1

If your problem is unrelated to permissions and free space, follow this dicscussion for an Adobe interim fix for a bug introduced in 6.8: Re: Unable to back up the catalog in lightroom cc 2015.8