8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2016 8:54 AM by Roei Tzoref

Changing colour of type in After Effects

Kirbstar

I want to know how to change the colour of the type in After Effects. I have imported an Illustrator file (AI file) into AE and the type is black but I want it to be white. I have tried colour correcting it but that has not worked. I am hoping that there is some other way other than re-doing all of my type again and importing it again.

Please help.

• 1. Re: Changing colour of type in After Effects
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          I have imported an Illustrator file (AI file) into AE and the type is black but I want it to be white.

you can do this in a couple of ways in Ae but why calculate effects when you don't need animation? how about changing the source file? click on the layer and use the shortcut Cmd/Ctrl+E to edit original. now change the color of the type in your Ai file and click save. it will update in Ae.

if you want to do this in Ae, one easy way is to add the "Fill" effect and change the color.

• 2. Re: Changing colour of type in After Effects
            Kirbstar Level 1

Hi there.

I am doing a typography assignment which requires animation of the type throughout the video. Can I still do as you say and will this work? Thanks

• 3. Re: Changing colour of type in After Effects
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Imported graphics can be colorized using Fill, Tint, Tritone, Colorama and similar effects. Depending on teh specific requirements, you can of course also use AE's native text layers or convert your artwork to shape layers and animate the colors.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Changing colour of type in After Effects
                Kirbstar Level 1

Hi there,

Can you please walk me through how to do this (very basic?). I literally have no idea how to use this program
                I tried changing the colour in the original AI file and that completely messed up my AE file. Now all of the fonts have been screwed up!

• 5. Re: Changing colour of type in After Effects
                  Kirbstar Level 1

Hi Roei,

I just did what you said and pressed ctrl e, edited the illustrator file and now this has completely screwed up my AE file. The layers aren't showing up anymore????

• 6. Re: Changing colour of type in After Effects

these two don't quite add up:

I am doing a typography assignment which requires animation of the type throughout the video.

+

I literally have no idea how to use this program

=

guess you have to learn it. basically start here After Effects CC tutorials | Learn how to use After Effects CC but more specifically you are looking for what appears to be kinetic typography tutorial. here is a good author:

I tried changing the colour in the original AI file and that completely messed up my AE file. Now all of the fonts have been screwed up!

how exactly? screenshots

we can't teach you the software but we can answer specific questions. what kind of animation are you set out to do? it probably requires more than changing the color. is the change supposed to be animated? we need more information.

maybe this will help:

• 7. Re: Changing colour of type in After Effects
                      Kirbstar Level 1

Hi there,

So I clicked on one of the AI files in the composition in the AE file. I pressed CTRL E, this opened up Illustrator to my document. I changed the colour of the type to what I believed to be white. The layers were in a clip group to which I pressed 'release layer sequence', as if I don't do this, it wont let me change the colour of the type. I pressed save and like you said - expected the change in AE.

Now it just comes up as this:

Please help me. I am stressing out

• 8. Re: Changing colour of type in After Effects
                        The layers were in a clip group to which I pressed 'release layer sequence', as if I don't do this, it wont let me change the colour of the type. I pressed save and like you said - expected the change in AE.

you can change any object's color without releasing to layers. it seems that you have now changed the layers structure in Ai so that's why Ae has misplaced your layer. probably at first you had one Ai layer with 3 objects, now each object is with it's own layer. you can change it back to the way it was, then you should right click on you missing footage layer here:

and click reveal layer source in project - this will take you to the same layer in your project window. now you can click on it twice and lead the way to your missing layer. find the Ai file and direct after effects to what layer it supposed to be.