8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2016 8:50 PM by SlitherFang

Possible to animate something from a photo?

SlitherFang

Hi, I'm making a video and I want to add some effects such as animating this:BD2015_Wallpaper_1920x1080.png

I want to be able to make it move around a bit and animate the sparkles and glow. Is this something that can be done using after effects by an intermediate user? I've done very little in terms of animating before and I've never done any 3d modelling or animation before.

• 1. Re: Possible to animate something from a photo?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not really. You would rather re-create the individual elements from scratch. 3D would help, but a lot of what's in the picture are just glowy lines that can just as well be re-drawn using masks and shape layers.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Possible to animate something from a photo?
            SlitherFang Level 1

I looked around a bit and i saw some examples of people animating pictures like here:

How To Animate a Photo | The 2.5D Effect - YouTube

and here:

Hearthside Chat - Golden Cards with Jon Briggs - News - Hearthstone

But is this the same type of animation that I'm looking for? Because these look like very small and slow movements but can it be fast and affect a larger area? Also to give an idea of how i plan to use it, imagine you're just on your desktop and then that flying dog comes out of your taskbar and flies around a bit.

• 3. Re: Possible to animate something from a photo?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Puppet Pin may be sufficient for your needs:

puppet.gif

You would add your sparkles and glows and pre-compose before you animated the puppet pin.

• 4. Re: Possible to animate something from a photo?
                SlitherFang Level 1

Oh thanks, that's exactly what i was looking for! Do i then just put it on a transparent background so i can put it into my video or do i use chroma keying? Also, do you have any recommendations for good glow/sparkle effects?

• 5. Re: Possible to animate something from a photo?

I would take the image and put it in it's own composition. You could use a mask to remove the logo, then use Knoll Unmult (FREE) from Red Giant to remove the black background. AE comes with a few glow effects and Lens Flair. These may be enough. You can even create your own sparkles by layering shape layers with blurs applied. Just make a 4 pointed star, add gaussian blur, set the blend mode to add, duplicate, increase the blur, duplicate again and then animate...

Once you have this pre-comp designed and your glows and sparkles animated make sure that you have transparency and nest this fish comp in your main comp and use the puppet pin to animate the fish. Puppet pin must be the only effect on that layer. If you need to also animate the position of the fish then you have to pre-compose again and animate the position of the layer.

Please - type puppet pin in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and study up on how to use the effect. It's not that intuitive and you will get into trouble unless you learn how to use the controls.

Red Giant - Downloads  - Search for Knoll Unmult on the page

• 6. Re: Possible to animate something from a photo?
                    SlitherFang Level 1

Thanks, I'll try it tonight! Also i have a couple more questions:

Is it possible to put puppet pins on a video? For example you have a video of a horse galloping, can you puppet pin it so that you can move it along side the normal galloping?

An another question: Can i have like a video layered over the flying dog/dragon thing? For example If i had a video of rain appearing appearing on a window, can i then put it as a skin for the dog and then puppet it? Is this called masking?

Thanks in advance.

• 7. Re: Possible to animate something from a photo?

This is why I wanted you to look at the tutorials

SlitherFang wrote:

Thanks, I'll try it tonight! Also i have a couple more questions:

Is it possible to put puppet pins on a video? For example you have a video of a horse galloping, can you puppet pin it so that you can move it along side the normal galloping?

This is why I wanted you to look at the tutorials. Puppet pin looks at the first frame and you cannot add any other animation or movement to a layer that is using puppet pin. If the image moves the illusion will break. 

An another question: Can i have like a video layered over the flying dog/dragon thing? For example If i had a video of rain appearing appearing on a window, can i then put it as a skin for the dog and then puppet it? Is this called masking?

Thanks in advance.

Sure you can layer, and you can copy and paste the puppet pin animation to another layer, but as I said before the image on that layer cannot be moving and you cannot add any additional ambition to a layer that is puppet pinned.

Masking is a whole other subject.

Please take some time to learn the basics. AE is complicated. The difference between After Effects and iMovie or Movie Maker is like the difference between a go cart and an F22 Strike fighter. If you are going to be successful flying the thing you have to learn what all of the buttons do and what to call them.

Basic AE

• 8. Re: Possible to animate something from a photo?
                        SlitherFang Level 1

Thank you, I'll have a look at the links now and have a go at it.