I am concerned that Adobe's "technical support" may have a criminal content. I know of no other way to bring this issue to visibility because Adobe apparently allows no means of complaining about what happened. They have no telephone support, and I can't find any means of filing a complaint.
My final attempt at getting a InDesign CS4 technical issue resolved ended with a tech support person (screen name: Gaurav Sharma) requesting and gaining access to my computer. I allowed this because I've had this type of service from other vendors (MS, HP, etc.) and never had a problem. In this case the Adobe tech person basically froze my ability to communicate with him. And as soon as he (she?) gained access they started searching on financial account names. Immediately, my bank, PayPal, and ISP names appeared on a search screen.
I had taken the expedience to remove all folders containing sensitive info from the computer beforehand, and also emptied the trash, so that access to this info could only be obtained by someone adept at getting at deleted info. Hopefully the individual did not have time to obtain an real info. I did a force quit and rebooted the machine. Immediately afterward, I changed all account PW's. A day later I received an "issue resolved" notification from Adobe and sent them an excoriating review, my only means of getting someone to pay attention, until this post.
But this is only the climax of a truly horrible five-day experience with Adobe's chat support. The previous four days I spent hours with trying to get someone on the chat line to act as though there was a live, human brain at the other end. It was a never-ending futile attempt at "pin the tail on the donkey." It was absurd. All in all, I spent perhaps seven pointless hours trying to get a tech support person to understand that I couldn't re-install my InDesign CS4 because I couldn't get past the Installer's request that, in addition to the InDesign serial number, it was also requesting a serial number from a previous version of PageMaker. I don't have PageMaker, and my copy of InDesign CS4 has been legally registered with Adobe since 2009.
For the record, here's a chronology of the events.
1. While working on a residential home purchase agreement, my InDesign suddenly froze up and I got an Error: 148:3 upon reboot. I'd never seen that before. I couldn't get past it, so I figured that a clean re-install would solve the problem.
2. I un-installed InDesign CS4, and inserted the disk in and started re-installing. All went well. I input the InDesign Serial number, OK.
3. THEN it asked for a serial number from a version of PageMaker. I used to have PageMaker decades ago but I haven't used it for like ten years. So of course I couldn't get past that window. Not knowing what to do, I contacted Adobe's technical support chat. I figured it would be an easy ten-minute repair. Little did I know...
4. The first "tech support" person spent two hours with me trying to figure out that I wasn't trying to register a copy of PageMaker. I ended up copy/pasting my previous replies because it was so inane: "no, I'm not trying to register a copy of PageMaker, the InDesign installer is requesting that I input a PageMaker serial number in, after I put in my valid InDesign serial number. THAT's what the problem is. Eventually I just broke the connection because it seemed like I was dealing with a robot, not a person. Of course, I received a "problem resolved" email from Adobe the next day. Interestiing, if you click on the "problem not resolved" link, it takes you to their generic support page which allows no way to send them that information.
5. I tried again the next day. Thinking I might get either a real human or perhaps not a ten-year-old being directed by expert screens, I kept reiterating my mantra from above, and beseeching them to please have me contact someone higher up, or give me a telephone number, or ANY means of contacting someone who could understand the simple problem I was having. No luck. Eventually, I just broke off contact again because after a couple hours of brainless circles, I simply capitulated.
6. Two days later, I tried again and kept insisting to the tech person that I would not give up until they had either handed me over to someone who could understand the question or provide me with a telephone or email link. And after another couple hours, that delivered me to Sra Gaurav Sharma, who as I mentioned at the beginning of this missive, immediately set about trying to obtain my personal financial information.