3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2016 9:22 AM by David_Powers

Cost of Dreamweaver?

Claveworks

I can't work it out...

It *seems* like Dreamweaver costs £200 a year? but for how many years? five years for example, would seem like too much (£1,000)

so what happens at the end of the 1st year if you cancel your membership or whatever? does Dreamweaver stop working?

I can't tolerate paying for something forever, it not like I am buying a house!

Can someone explain why you can't BUY this product? because that's all I want to do....

• 1. Re: Cost of Dreamweaver?
          David_Powers Level 7

claveworks wrote:

It *seems* like Dreamweaver costs £200 a year? but for how many years? five years for example, would seem like too much (£1,000)

so what happens at the end of the 1st year if you cancel your membership or whatever? does Dreamweaver stop working?

Dreamweaver (and all other apps in the Creative Cloud) are made available on a subscription basis similar to that charged by cable and satellite TV. When you stop paying, you can no longer use the service.

claveworks wrote:

Can someone explain why you can't BUY this product? because that's all I want to do....

The decision to move to a subscription basis was made by Adobe several years ago. Under the old system, you paid a big lump sum for a perpetual licence that gave you the right to use the software without any time limit. But the software would never be updated, except to fix security issues. New versions would be issued roughly once a year. Owners of the previous version got a discount, but they still had to pay a big lump sum if they wanted to upgrade.

Under the subscription system, new features are added to the program roughly three times a year, so you're always working with an up-to-date version. But if you stop paying, the software stops working. However, if you decide to renew your subscription after a break, you start paying again at the monthly rate rather than having to fork out a big lump sum.

Not everyone likes the subscription system, but that's what's now on offer. An alternative option is to use Brackets, a free, open-source editor that's also created by Adobe.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cost of Dreamweaver?
            Claveworks Level 1

Thanks, you have helped me make my decision!  No Dreamweaver for me.

• 3. Re: Cost of Dreamweaver?
              David_Powers Level 7

The Creative Cloud subscription system makes more sense if you use multiple apps rather than just one. For example, many web developers will use Photoshop, Illustrator, and possibly Premiere Pro in addition to Dreamweaver. The more apps you use, the more value you get out of the subscription. A single-app subscription is proportionately much more expensive.

The fact that there's no initial up-front cost for the Creative Cloud also makes it an attractive proposition for many people. Before the switch to the subscription system, the Master Collection cost more than £2,200, and it was expensive to upgrade on a regular basis.

But if all you need is an HTML/CSS editor, a single-app subscription to Dreamweaver is an expensive option.