18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2016 10:31 AM by Frage12

Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul

Frage12 Level 1

Hello, I have big problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul

Situation on my workstation:

Hardware

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit

CELSIUS M720 POWER

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 0 @ 3.20GHz, 3201 MHz, 6 Kern(e), 12 logische(r) Prozessor(en)

(RAM) 32,0 GB

Grafic-Card NVIDIA Quadro K5000 (driver 369.09)

Sysinfo from Lightroom:

Lightroom 2015.6.1

200 RAW photo of a Nikon D5100, small catalog

Catalog on first HD (SSD)

Photos on second HD

Version von Lightroom: CC 2015.6.1 [ 1083169 ]

Lizenz: Creative Cloud

Betriebssystem: Windows 10

Version: 10.0

Anwendungsarchitektur: x64

Systemarchitektur: x64

Anzahl logischer Prozessoren: 12

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,1 GHz

Integrierter Speicher: 32684,2 MB

Für Lightroom verfügbarer phys. Speicher: 32684,2 MB

Von Lightroom verwendeter phys. Speicher: 3050,7 MB (9,3%)

Von Lightroom verwendeter virtueller Speicher: 3641,4 MB

Cache-Speichergröße: 1779,6 MB

Maximale Anzahl Threads, die Camera Raw verwendet: 12

Camera Raw SIMD-Optimierung: SSE2,AVX

DPI-Einstellung des Systems: 96 DPI

Desktop-Komposition aktiviert: Ja

Monitore/Anzeigegeräte: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1920x1200

Eingabetypen: Multitouch: Nein, integrierte Toucheingabe: Nein, integrierter Stift: Nein, externe Toucheingabe: Nein, externer Stift: Nein, Tastatur: Nein

Informationen zum Grafikprozessor:

Quadro K5000/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 369.09

Renderer: Quadro K5000/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Start Lightroom (GPU is on):

When I work in the develop modul with the adjustment brush, then after the start of lightroom the brush is normal fast.  But after intense use of the brush, circa after 3 photos, the brush and also lightroom in general becomes extremely slow. Even if I wait a bit and let rest the workstation, the speed not comes back. I must restart Lightroom. Then this situation begins anew.

This problem arises not only with the brush, it also comes with other operations in the develop modul and also when I only step thought my photos. However, with the brush the problem is fastest reproducibly.

Very strange:

My workstation is never busy. The CPU have maximal peaks of 45 %, the GPU maximal peak of 8% (I can see it with an Nvidia utilization tool), RAM maximal 50%, all HDs have no stress. But, Lightroom is terrible slow. When I draw a line with the brush, then I must wait from 1 – 3 sec to see the changes.

With GPU off:

The same thing, but the problem comes later.

What I have already been tested:

Different Cache Settings in Lightroom: no effect

Update grafic diver and chip set to the last version: no effect

Clean install of Lightroom 2015.6.1: no effect

Test with only one display: nomeffect

Test with the same photos with a new catalog on a laptop (Intel Core i7-5500 CPU @ 2,4 GHz, 8 GB Ram, Win10) with lightroom 2015.6.1: the CPU is overtaxed, but if I let rest the laptop, the I can continue to work normally fast again (without restart of Lightroom). On the laptop the problem does not exists.

Test with the same photos with a new catalog on a old PC (Intel Quad Core Q6600 2,4 GHz with 8 GB RAM, Win10) with Lightroom 4.4: the CPU occasionally reaches 100%, but no problem, the brush is always super fast!

I do not know what I can do now..

• 1. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
          JoeKostoss Level 4

Do you have auto mask on or off?  With auto mask on, the brush becomes very slow, especially if the image is not uniform in the area you are brushing.

• 2. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
            Frage12 Level 1

Hello JoeKostoss,

auto mask is off.

• 3. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
              Frage12 Level 1

Now I repeated my tests.

the same photos on two different PCs:

Workstation: hardware details see above. New catalog. GPU off.

Laptop: details see above. New catalog. GPU off.

Develop modul > adjustment brush: expose 2.43, highlights: 33, shadows: 31, brightness: 24

First seconds after Lightroom start:

On the much better workstation, paint with the adjustment brush is much slower, then paint with the same setting on the laptop.

After intensive painting:

On the much better workstation, the brush hangs totally. The speed not coming back.

On the Laptop the speed remain. The speed only goes away, when the CPU reach 100%. But when I wait a couple of seconds the speed returns.

Same things with other operations in the development modul

Lightroom have definitely a performance problem with my faster machine.

• 4. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

As a general rule, lots of brush work does slow down LR.

The general recommendation is to move the brush work to the end of your edit list.

If you have the lens corrections turned on, try turning it off and see what any difference happens.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
                  Frage12 Level 1

I do not agree: “As a general rule, lots of brush work does slow down LR.”

Because I speak over an principal problem from LR. Example in my case “brush or clone tool slow down LR” slow down my best machine, not my weak machine!

Now I spend a lot of time with many systematic tests:

-Brush on the same photo with different Lightroom versions. Minimal LR catalog. GPU off, Camera Raw Cache small and big.

-Compared with an old PC old PC (Intel Quad Core Q6600 2,4 GHz with 8 GB RAM, Win10) with Lightroom 4.4

-Compared with an Laptop (Intel Core i7-5500 CPU @ 2,4 GHz, 8 GB Ram, Win10) with lightroom 2015.6.1

See the edited photo: http://de.tinypic.com/r/28bry8j/9

I write “lorem ipsum” with the brush in the photo. This is a good way to reproduce the problem “slow down after x min”.

Test with my Workstation (hardware details see above) with different lightroom versions:

1) Rollback to lightroom 2015.5.0:

The speed after lightroom start and after the first words is acceptable. After 15 words the speed with the workstation is rather less, then with my laptop!

2) Update to lightroom 2015.5.1:

The speed after lightroom start and after the first words is acceptable. After 12 words the speed with the workstation is rather less, then with my laptop!

3) Update to lightroom 2015.6

The speed after lightroom start and after the first words is not acceptable. After 10 words the speed with the workstation is much less, then with my laptop! After 20 words with the workstation I must restart Lightroom! With my laptop no problem. With the laptop, it is sufficient to wait one or two seconds and I can continue to work smooth.

4) Update to lightroom 2015.6.1

The speed after lightroom start and after the first words is not acceptable. After 10 words the speed with the workstation is much less, then with my laptop! After 20 words with the workstation I must restart Lightroom! With my laptop no problem. With the laptop, it is sufficient to wait one or two seconds and I can continue to work smooth.

5) Test with my Workstation (hardware details see above) with Camera RAW (last version) from Adobe Bridge (last version)

Same problem like in Lightroom

6) Test with my Workstation (hardware details see above) with Camera RAW (last version) from Photoshop (last version)

Same problem like in Lightroom, but the problem is not so grave.

7) Test with my Workstation (hardware details see above) with Photoshop (last version) Dodge and Burn to make the same effect (ok is not the same, but I would make this comparison):

No problem.

Summary

1. LR/Camera Raw has definitive a performance problem with some - especially my high-quality – PCs!
                  2. I can reproduce the problem and I can demonstrate that the problem on other - especially my weak – PCs not persist or is not so strongly.
                  3. With GPU on the problem increase drastically!
                  4. Camera RAW from Bridge and Photoshop have the same problem.
                  5. With higher lightroom version the problem increase! Also with the newest 2015.6.1!
                  6. Camera Raw Cache amll/big. No difference.
                  7. Minimize LR, not helps or helps only minimal.
                  8. Downgrade helps a little, but not eliminate the problem in general.
                  9. Restart LR, helps but restart LR every X images are not a good workaround!
                  10. It is very frustrating that with LR my weakness machine is better than my best PC!

I hope that an Adobe staff member read this and I hope that this would forwarded to the Adobe Test team. This is all what I would…

P.S. I'm sorry for my bad English ;-)

• 6. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
                    best shot factory Level 1

I have exactly the same issues on i7 5960X 8 Core with GTX 980Ti, 64GB Ram and M.2 PCI Express SSDs, 4K Display

I restart lightroom every few images when I want it to ran fast, otherwise I just suffers the performance decrease.

Adobe is not doing a good job by acknowledging they have issues and leaving us wasting time in forums trying to be heard not knowing if anyone is listening...

very wired support policy.

when I had issues with capture one, I got an email back within 24 hours from their support acknowledging the issue, workaround and their plan to rectify it in future version.

lightroom is a great tool but its a shame for the lack of communication from the development team to us the customers. it seems those forums acts as a great fire wall to keep angry frustrating customers away. maybe they are too big now to communicate back and admit they have a big issue with performance across the board, politics, old code that needs a change of platform, new head of development maybe. hopefully lightroom 7 will address it.

its my birthday today and my wish is that lightroom will be faster one day as fast as capture one.

• 7. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Frage12 wrote:

See the edited photo: http://de.tinypic.com/r/28bry8j/9

I write “lorem ipsum” with the brush in the photo. This is a good way to reproduce the problem “slow down after x min”.

Please read the following post from Adobe Engineer Eric Chan: GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

LR 6 & CC 2015/6 GPU support is only implemented for the 'Global' controls in the Develop module (Basic panel, etc.). The 'Local' controls such as the Adjustment Brush do not benefit from GPU support. In fact they are actually slowed down due to the way GPU support has been implemented. This is worse with GPU enabled and still present to a lesser degree with 'Use Graphics Processor' unchecked.

The above example script creation using the adjustment brush is slow on my system as well. But I have no issues with "normal" processing, which includes use of the Adjustment Brush. Intensive adjustment brush work should be done in Photoshop....at least for now! I suggest Exporting to DNG file format one of your processed images with Adjustment Brush work applied that is slow on your system. Upload the DNG file to Dropbox or other file sharing site. Provide the share link in a reply here. That way we can can better understand what adjustments you are applying and perhaps provide other suggestions.

• 8. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
                        Frage12 Level 1

Thanks for the answer. It may be that we do not understand each other. Because my English is very bad. I'm trying to get to the point.

I know this article: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7480830#7480830

And I know that GPU on is not for local tools such as the Adjustment brush etc.

My test above are with GPU off! But, I would say, that GPU on, increase my problem drastically. Attention, this is not my criticism; this is only a keynote of my tests.

My principal criticism is, that local correction are slow on my best PC and NOT SLOW on my weak Laptop.

THIS is the point.

I would not discuss that the adjustment brush is slow in general. I would discuss that the adjustment brush (and other local corrections) are slower on a good machine, then on a weak machine AND I would discuss that the adjustment brush on my good machine after x seconds/minutes make my LR in general inoperable, so that I must restart LR! Also when I change do another image and on this another image I do not make local corrections.

On my weak machine, this does not happen!

This are the critical points.

My summary: LR in combination with certain hardware have drastically problems.

Here the image in dng Format: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27155147/_DSC1403.dng

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul

Frage12 wrote:

I would not discuss that the adjustment brush is slow in general. I would discuss that the adjustment brush (and other local corrections) are slower on a good machine, then on a weak machine AND I would discuss that the adjustment brush on my good machine after x seconds/minutes make my LR in general inoperable, so that I must restart LR! Also when I change do another image and on this another image I do not make local corrections.

On my weak machine, this does not happen!

If both systems are running LR CC 2015.6.1 then clearly something is wrong with your higher-performance Xeon 6-core processor system. LR does not fully utilize more than 4-cores, but the higher-performance Xeon 6-core system should still run the same or faster than the i7-5500 quad-core laptop.

Frage12 wrote:

My summary: LR in combination with certain hardware have drastically problems.

I don't think this is a LR design flaw, but an issue with something in your system configuration. I have a few ideas, but first let's discuss your DNG file.

Frage12 wrote:

Here the image in dng Format: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27155147/_DSC1403.dng

I downloaded the DNG file, but no LR settings are  applied. You need to first process the original image file with both Global and Local adjustments to the point where LR starts running slow. Then 'Export' the file with these settings applied to DNG using the below Export module settings. This will embed your LR adjustments into the DNG file's metadata and allow me to see and work with your exact settings.

I went ahead and processed the _DSC1403.dng file by starting with only the LR default settings applied. I applied the Global adjustments and then ten (10) Adjustment Brush pins as shown below with Exposure lowered to reveal the pins better. This is far more than I would normally use on any image file in LR.

My system specs are LR CC 2015.6.1 on Windows 7 with 2.8GHz i7-860 processor, 12 GB memory, Nvidia Quadro 600 graphics card, SSD system drive, HDD picture drive, and 2560 x 1440 NEC PA272w calibrated monitor. So my system is much lower performance than your Xeon system, but I'm using the same version of LR, same 2560 x 1440 monitor resolution and your DNG file. At no time during the editing did LR slow down significantly or the Adjustment Brush become laggy.

You can download the DNG file with my LR settings and try further editing on your system. If it's laggy and slow with my DNG file settings then something is wrong with your system.

EDIT-Updated Share Link: Dropbox - _DSC1403-TRS_Edits.dng

SUGGESTIONS

1) Try turning OFF both the Develop module's Detail and Lens Corrections panels using the small switch at left-top of the panel:

Now try editing one of your image files starting with it in the Reset Default Settings state:

Make sure you do NOT use the Sharpening or Noise settings in the Adjustment Brush since they can adversely affect performance and should be done as the LAST STEP in your processing.

2) There is a possibility your monitor profile is incompatible with LR and causing performance issues. Do you use a monitor calibrator (Spyder, i1 Display) and have you tried recalibraying the monitor? To determine if this is causing your performance issues assign the system sRGB color profile to your monitor as outlined at the below link. If you are using a wide-gamut display assign the system Adobe RGB color profile and not sRGB.

How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted? - The Lightroom Queen

• 10. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
                            Frage12 Level 1

Thanks for your answer.

If both systems are running LR CC 2015.6.1 then clearly something is wrong with your higher-performance Xeon 6-core processor system. LR does not fully utilize more than 4-cores, but the higher-performance Xeon 6-core system should still run the same or faster than the i7-5500 quad-core laptop.

Now we understand each other :-)

I don't think this is a LR design flaw, but an issue with something in your system configuration. I have a few ideas, but first let's discuss your DNG file.

I think it's a combination between PC-LR, since I have no problems with other programs.

DGN

Here the new file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6811phy0qo3rdr/_DSC1403-v2.dng?dl=0

Having said that:

Since yesterday, I have updated my workstation (XEN 6 core @ 3.2 Ghz) and my laptop (Core i7-5500 @2.4 Ghz) to Lightroom 2015.7. My problem still exists. The following tests are made with LR 2015.7.

I have made 1:1 Previews and Smart Previews for the image. I have activated both PC and laptop the setting: "Use Smart Previews Instead Of Originals For Image Editing".

Test with zoom: fit

Test with zoom: 1:1 (because of the new smart preview option in develop modul)

First I reset to Default Settings state => only Details > sharpening slider was at 25 (this is my default). Lens Correction was off

Problem not resolved. Writing with the brush on the Laptop is faster and smoother.

(The problem with LR 2015.7 in confrontation with older LR versions has worsened. On the workstation writing already at the beginning now is fewer smooth.)

Test your suggestions

1) OFF Detail and Lens Corrections. I set sharpening to 0.

Problem not resolved. Laptop is faster.

2) Yes, normally I use a profile created with Spyder5Pro. For this test, I deactivated Spyder5Pro and I inserted the Adobe RGB Profile.

Unfortunately, problem not resolved. Laptop is faster.

My tests:

3) Test with Eizo Standard Profile SX2762W User 6500K G2.2

Problem not resolved. Laptop is faster.

3) Test with minor resolution 1280x1024

This resolve my problem. Now writing with brush is fast and smooth.

But this is not a good workaround. I would retain the high resolution. Suggestions?

• 11. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul

Frage12 wrote:

I think it's a combination between PC-LR, since I have no problems with other programs.

There is one more thing we haven't tried and that is reset the LR Preferences file. In the below post the user was experiencing performance issues with LR CC 2015 (.6?) on a system with a Xeon E5-2630 v2 2.6GHz 6-core processor, but not on his Mac Pro Retina with i7 processor. Resetting the Preferences file fixed the issue for him.

Lightroom 2015 CC slow on powerful PC but fast on Macbook

Try resetting the LR Preferences file at the below folder location:

C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\

Close LR and rename the file with a .OLD extension: Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs.OLD

When you reopen LR it will create a new Preferences file with the default settings. Only change the Preferences settings for Performance> 'Use Graphics Processor. Do not change any other settings. Try editing again with the Adjustment Brush.

Frage12 wrote:

Here the new file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6811phy0qo3rdr/_DSC1403-v2.dng?dl=0

Using the above file with your edits I experienced no performance issues with the Local Adjustment Brush or any of the Global controls on my LR CC 2015.7 system with 'Use Graphics Processor' NOT checked. With 'Use Graphics Processor' checked there was considerable lag in the Adjustment Brush.

• 12. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
                                Frage12 Level 1

Using the above file with your edits I experienced no performance issues with the Local Adjustment Brush or any of the Global controls on my LR CC 2015.7 system with 'Use Graphics Processor' NOT checked. With 'Use Graphics Processor' checked there was considerable lag in the Adjustment Brush.

Yes, even with my laptop no problem, only when my workstation is a problem.

Try resetting the LR Preferences file at the below folder location:

C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\

Close LR and rename the file with a .OLD extension: Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs.OLD

When you reopen LR it will create a new Preferences file with the default settings. Only change the Preferences settings for Performance> 'Use Graphics Processor. Do not change any other settings. Try editing again with the Adjustment Brush.

Now I have tested that. Unfortunately, not resolved. Only the reduction of resolution of my display to 1280x1024 helps :-(

• 13. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
                                  Frage12 Level 1

Now I have tested with another graphics card.

Yes I have replaced the Nvidia Quadro K5000 with an old Nvidia Geforce GT 8800.

Same situation, problem not fixed :-(

• 14. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas. Hard to believe your my 2.8 GHz i7-860 quad-core out performs your 3.2 GHz E5-1650 0 six-core processor...but that appears to be the case!

ARK | Compare Intel® Products

You can post this as a 'Problem' at the below site and see if anyone else can help. I suggest providing a link to this thread in the new post.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 15. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul

Had a chance to look at this again to see why Xeon processors seem to provide lower performance with LR. Something else you can investigate.

The New Turbo Button - Balancing Power Management and Performance on Windows Servers - Scott Hanselman

The XEON E5-1650 0 3.20GHz processor should have no issues running LR, so it could be something as simple as a Windows Power Management or BIOS setting.

• 16. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
                                        Frage12 Level 1
                                        Sorry, but I'm out of ideas.

:-( but thanks for your time.

Windows Power Management or BIOS setting.

Now I updated manually every component under Device Manager > System devices. And there are many components!

No results.

With an Intel diagnostic tool I tested my CPUs. No problem.

I tested with many setting in the Bios: Turbo boost on/off, Hyper Threading on/off etc. No results.

My summary now is:

My problem is not a subjective performance problem, but  a clear reproducible trouble. Because I can make a confrontation with a weak machine and because I can see it in the Taskmanager. My XEON E5-1650 0 3.20GHz with LR clone or brush does not exceed the 45% CPU utilization.

The programming of Lightroom clone and brush tool is so, that they can not stress my XEON E5-1650 0 3.20GHz.

Also with extreme stress (brush with auto mask and with noise reduction and with moiré reduction) the XEON E5-1650 0 3.20GHz has no stress.

Ok, now you can say: is a Intel CPU problem. However, I say: no, is a problem of the programming of LR clone and brush on certain CPU architectures. Because with other operation LR can stress my XEON E5-1650 0 3.20GHz. Example with export photos, or with Detail panel in develop with the noise reduction slider I can stress my CPU.

suggest providing a link to this thread in the new post.

Yes I will do that, thanks

• 17. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul

Frage12 wrote:

Now I updated manually every component under Device Manager > System devices. And there are many components!

No results.

With an Intel diagnostic tool I tested my CPUs. No problem.

I tested with many setting in the Bios: Turbo boost on/off, Hyper Threading on/off etc. No results.

We've see reports of this for both Intel i7 and Xeon processors as well as AMD processors with 6 or more cores. Adding this as a Problem report at the Photoshop Family site is the best way to get Adobe's attention.

Frage12 wrote:

suggest providing a link to this thread in the new post.

Yes I will do that, thanks

Please also provide a link to the Photoshop Family post in this thread so others landing here can add their vote to your Problem Report.

Frage12 wrote:

Ok, now you can say: is a Intel CPU problem. However, I say: no, is a problem of the programming of LR clone and brush on certain CPU architectures.

Agreed.

Keep in mind that adding Detail panel 'Luminace' NR or using 'Noise' slider with the Adjustment Brush will affect LR's performance. On my system with GPU disabled it takes ~1.0 sec. for the change to render and ~2.0 sec. with GPU enabled. However, you are experiencing issues with the Adjustment Brush using just the Tone controls (Exposure, Highlights, Shadows). This is not an issue on my lower-performance quad-core system. Clearly there is an issue running LR on systems with 6 or more core processors.

• 18. Re: Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul
                                            Frage12 Level 1
                                            We've see reports of this for both Intel i7 and Xeon processors as well as AMD processors with 6 or more cores.

Good to know

Please also provide a link to the Photoshop Family post in this thread so others landing here can add their vote to your Problem Report.

Here the link to the Photoshop Family thread:

Lightroom: Clone and brush tool are slow only on CPU with XEON architectures | Photoshop Family Customer Community