8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 2:05 AM by wiggers2uk

White balance in LR different to Camera

wiggers2uk Level 1

I am shooting RAW with a Canon EOS 30D and importing to Lightroom 6.6.1 (Desktop, not CC). Monitor is calibrated.

If I set 'Cloudy' on the camera and import it gives me 'As Shot' temp = 5550 and tint = -5. If I select 'Cloudy' in the LR WB it gives temp = 6500 and tint = +10. I get similar discrepancies for other settings.

I thought the settings were supposed to mimic the camera's own settings, so why the difference? Is there a file I can fix this in or should I create a preset?

Also, I have often wondered why photos taken with AWB set in the camera often appear too blue in LR. Is this due to the camera not functioning properly or a LR fault?

• 1. Re: White balance in LR different to Camera
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Ignore the numbers. First, they define a range of possible colors. Next, every product (and camera) will provide differing values. You can take the same raw, which has a metadata suggestion for WB and open in differing raw converters, the numbers the converter provides will very likely be different. The camera isn't the ideal or proper tool for measuring WB anyway. The so called discrepancies are to be expected. Your display is calibrated, set WB for a pleasing rendering. Not for a specific number!

• 2. Re: White balance in LR different to Camera
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The bluer rendering is likely due to you using the Adobe default camera profile, in the calibration section in develop, try choosing camera default. This should make the default rendering (WB at as shot and every slider at zero) mimic the in camera rendering. The difference in numbers is just what the Lightroom engineers programmed as "cloudy" "shade", etc. they have nothing to do with the in-camera white balance settings. They are too aggressive in my opinion but it is easy to do your own. Also, the numeric value for the white balance is dependent on the color rendering model used And differs with every different raw engine. The in camera numbers will not correspond to what you see in Lightroom for this reason, but if you do not touch the white balance in Lightroom, the color rendering (if you set the camera default profile) will be very close to what the camera does in jpeg.

• 3. Re: White balance in LR different to Camera
              wiggers2uk Level 1

Having a number that is pleasing helps consistency. It happens that the Cloudy numbers on the camera is more pleasing than the Cloudy numbers in LR. I understood that the values used by LR corresponded with the particular camera, hence the Camera Calibration setting. Obviously this is not the case.

• 4. Re: White balance in LR different to Camera
                wiggers2uk Level 1

No, even if I use one of the many Camera profiles I get similar results to using the Adobe Profile. Also, changing Camera Profile doesn't affect the WB settings.

How do you 'Do your own'? There's nothing in Preferences. That's why I asked if there was a settings file for these values. Seems daft to have them hard-coded if they're not part of the Camera Calibration.

• 5. Re: White balance in LR different to Camera
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The profile will have no influence on the numeric values that you see in the white balance setting. They are simply a different scale than your camera shows. You should forget about numerically matching those. It is not going to happen. They are basically apples and pears. Related but different things.

If you like the in camera settings but don't want to change your shooting settings, the trick is to shoot a set of image with the camera set on cloudy, shade, etc. Doesn't matter what it is you shoot. Bring those into Lightroom. Make sure to set the camera profile to "camera default" (or whatever picture style you prefer to shoot in in your camera). Go to Develop on those images and change the white balance from "as shot" to custom. The values will not change but the field will become editable. Note that the numeric values are different from the cameras, but the rendering of the image should be close to identical to the in-camera jpeg. Do not touch the settings, but save the new settings as a preset and only tick the white balance checkbox and leave everything else blank. Save this as a new preset with the name "WB cloudy" or some such. Now you can apply the white balance preset at a value that corresponds to what the camera uses in its own white balance setting. The values are stored and reported in Lightroom's internal scale but they correspond to in-camera setting the WB.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: White balance in LR different to Camera
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR is starting off as to what the camera recorded as the WB that is why it is displaying "As Shot". If you set the WB on the camera to Day Light and shot the image using a flash indoors LR would still display the WB as "As Shot" because that is the way you shot the image. The other options in LR, Cloudy, Flash and so on, are for adjusting the image to some other WB than was used on the camera.

It is still just a guess on the part of the camera and in LR to what the WB should be and is completely changeable, with RAW files, after it is imported and or opened in any RAW processor program like LR.

• 7. Re: White balance in LR different to Camera
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The numbers associated with the "names" are not standardized. "Cloudy" to Canon means X, to Nikon means Y, to Adobe means Z.

The WB data stored in the raw file is not a simple color or temperature. The WB data needs to be interpreted and converted to a temperature scale. Each software maker does the interpretation a little differently and comes up with a slightly different temperature/color number.

That said, your example numbers have a larger difference than I would expect there to be. Regardless, the number is not so important as the looks. Once you get a look that you like, just remember that number and apply it to the other photos taken at the same time.

• 8. Re: White balance in LR different to Camera
                        wiggers2uk Level 1

I guess you have to use Presets to remember the WB numbers as you want them, thanks. I just thought LR was supposed to know what each camera used as part of the Camera Profile.