15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 10:49 AM by csmess88

Picture is after export darker

emanuelu98704044

hi!

sorry my english is realy bad

heres the problem:

after exporting an image its much darker than in lightroom. i tried to send ihr pic to an ipad to see if its a monitor problem but it looks the same

also when i export in max quality, tif or png... it alwasy looks the same.... tried in windows viewer, IE, Paint and firefox

i work on win7 64 bit and LR/PS cc

hier a snip of LR:

LR.JPG

and after export:

IMG_8834.jpg

hope someone can halp me

• 1. Re: Picture is after export darker
          csmess88

I have the same question!!  I have been using Lightroom for just a week now. I've noticed images are much darker after opening in PS.  Both LR & PS are set to sRGB (I know that's like the worst or something, but I order from Mpix, and they say to use it, soo.. ?).  Everything I've read online says this problem only happens if your color profiles are mismatched, so I don't know what's going on, since mine are the same.

On the left is the image & settings in LR, and PS is on the right:
          Help.jpg

• 2. Re: Picture is after export darker
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure you expor t to sRGB space. Also how do you calibrate your screen? This is often a calibration issue.

• 3. Re: Picture is after export darker
              emanuelu98704044 Level 1

i exported to sRGB

i never calibrated my scrren but if thats the problem it should be on every program on this screen?

it also looks the same on a ipad... if its the scrren it should look diffrend on the ipad or am i wrong?

• 4. Re: Picture is after export darker

The top screenshots look identical to me. Incorrect screen calibration is a major cause of differences between Lightroom and Photoshop or other programs. This is endemic on windows machines where monitor drivers often install bad monitor profiles. This is shockingly common. To test this, go to your monitor's properties pane and see if there is a profile associated with your monitor. There probably is and it will have a name similar to your monitor's model. What you want to do is delete that profile. This will make windows assume your monitor is precisely sRGB. Now look if you still see differences after quitting and restarting Lightroom and your other programs. You probably will not. I highly recommend you  calibrate your screen using a hardware calibrator such as a Spyder, a ColorMunki, etc. though. You can't trust anything you see on your screen otherwise. If you don't want to buy one, you can often rent these or borrow them at a local photography club. It is quite essential to do this to get results you can trust.

P.S. testing on an iPad is a good idea in general. Apple calibrates all these screens individually and they are quite good in general. They even color manage what's shown on the display nowadays which is extraordinary.

P.S. II note that on windows lots of apps are not correctly color managed. IE, windows viewer, Paint, etc. are definitely not color managed and will always show you the wrong color no matter what. Firefox is color managed but is color management has to be turned on in its preferences. Photoshop of course is color managed except if you follow really bad advice from the internet to change its color management settings.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Picture is after export darker

csmess88 wrote:

I have the same question!! I have been using Lightroom for just a week now. I've noticed images are much darker after opening in PS. Both LR & PS are set to sRGB (I know that's like the worst or something, but I order from Mpix, and they say to use it, soo.. ?). Everything I've read online says this problem only happens if your color profiles are mismatched, so I don't know what's going on, since mine are the same.

csmess, see my other answer. Your monitor profile is probably incorrect. This often causes differences between Lightroom and Photoshop. Also, you want to change your color management policy for RGB images back to the default of "conserve embedded profiles". There is no need to always convert non-sRGB images to sRGB in Photoshop. Photoshop and Lightroom can handle any colorspace you put in an image.

• 6. Re: Picture is after export darker
                    csmess88 Level 1

Thank you, I will screenshot this information for later use.  In the meantime, I got bored and am just doing all of my editing in LR.  I'll have to do a test order of prints, but so far they look fine saved as jpgs for web use.

I did at one point look at the ColorSync Utility, and it was set to srgb.  So is that supposed to be what's associated with my monitor?  I'm sorry, it's a miracle I produce any pictures at all with the amount of knowledge I have, lol.

• 7. Re: Picture is after export darker
                      thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Unless you've got a brand new iPad, others are NOT color managed! Even saving as sRGB does not guarantee a match to a color managed application like LR. More below in a video that shows you why and how to test this:

sRGB urban legend & myths Part 2

In this 17 minute video, I'll discuss some more sRGB misinformation and cover:

When to use sRGB and what to expect on the web and mobile devices

How sRGB doesn't insure a visual match without color management, how to check

The downsides of an all sRGB workflow

sRGB's color gamut vs. "professional" output devices

The future of sRGB and wide gamut display technology

Photo print labs that demand sRGB for output

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGBMythsPart2.mp4

Low resolution on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvVUL1gWVs

• 8. Re: Picture is after export darker

It appears you are on a Mac. You want to check in your system preferences and go to displays->Color. Generally it will say "Color LCD" there. That generally is sort of OK as Apple does a decent job making sure their monitors are fairly reproducible but you really should calibrate your monitor.

• 9. Re: Picture is after export darker

Unless you've got a brand new iPad, others are NOT color managed! Even saving as sRGB does not guarantee a match to a color managed application like LR. More below in a video that shows you why and how to test this:

You are not right. All recent iOS devices now color manage even the previous generation iPads. I think this was introduced in iOS9. It even supports ICC v4 profiles! It could be that the very first generation devices are left out but most now color manage. Safari even does the correct thing assuming that untagged images are sRGB! Apple really has upped the game in this respect. This is the icc color management test page on Safari on my iPhone:

IMG_0606.PNG

As you can see it is correctly managing all images.

I also have an iPad Pro 9.7" and it is great with the wider gamut screen and everything color managed including Lightroom mobile in the last update. Quite amazing.

• 10. Re: Picture is after export darker
                            csmess88 Level 1

When I went to displays>color, it was set to srgb (there were two identical srgb options??).  I set it to Color LCD, nothing seemed to change. I tried ProPhoto, and that made everything... really weird.  No profiles listed had the option of being deleted.

I understand my monitor needs to be calibrated in general, but I don't understand why pictures don't look the same between LR & PS regardless, when they're set to matching profiles.  For example, if my poorly calibrated screen showed everything too blue, wouldn't it be the same "too blue" in both PS & LR?  I just don't understand why the two programs aren't showing photos consistently, no matter which color profiles I have them using.

• 11. Re: Picture is after export darker

Let me clarify this. There's no way to calibrate (and then profile) the iPad. ColorTrue doesn't count (it doesn't work as it has three presets for 'calibration'). As such, I don't consider it fully color managed. The iPad is color aware (it's what Apple calls Targeted Color Management where the target is sRGB, at least up until the iPad Pro. So any color space is far game, even Lab. Does it produce a match to the desktop? Not mine, not by a long shot. Because I can't calibrate it to produce a match. As a targeted color management aware product, it doesn't matter if you upload or deal with sRGB or any other color space. It will attempt to uncover the embedded color space and preview it but again, a match? Not necessarily. You can use Lab, or ProPhoto RGB just as you would sRGB and the results are the same. So this is far better than a truly non color managed app or OS! In that environment, you're using sRGB on an sRGB-like display because any other color space is assumed to be something else and the previews will be pretty awful. But again, in either case, there's zero guarantee that what you see on an iPad or your phone will match what you see on the desktop! Or anywhere else with perhaps the exception of another iPad of the same make/model. It shouldn't look a mile off using any RGB working space (or as I said, even data in Lab).

So the OP could  upload or view his images in any color space on the iPad. Will it match what he see's elsewhere? Maybe, probably not. A bit darker? Very possible because again, the calibration involved with the desktop and the iPad are likely not the same.

Safari has always been color aware; mobile devices or otherwise. And you can upload sRGB or any RGB color space as long as there's an embedded profile but that again, doesn't guarantee a visual match to another device. So the 'just save as sRGB' and all is well advise isn't really true. It should suck the least but doesn't mean it matches anything!

This is old but also somewhat interesting: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » So Much For That Glorious iPad Screen: iOS and its Apps are Not Even Color Managed

• 12. Re: Picture is after export darker

csmess88 wrote:

When I went to displays>color, it was set to srgb (there were two identical srgb options??). I set it to Color LCD, nothing seemed to change. I tried ProPhoto, and that made everything... really weird. No profiles listed had the option of being deleted.

You absolutely do NOT want to select ProPhoto RGB for your display profile. You ONLY want to select the actual display profile, ideally one built to the aim points you desire with a good instrument and software.

• 13. Re: Picture is after export darker

First, you must setup the previews correctly for comparison: in LR, Develop module ONLY, at 1:1 or greater. In Photoshop, at 100% or greater. Obviously set the zoom ratio the same (I'd suggest 1:1 and 100% respectively which is the same zoom ratio).  Be sure Photoshop's color settings honor the embedded ICC profile from LR. You can setup soft proof for sRGB in Develop and export sRGB from LR to Photoshop as an example. The two previews should match!

• 14. Re: Picture is after export darker
                                    csmess88 Level 1

Coming back to let you know the problem was solved, at least for me.  Everything was current when I initially posted, but I got a notification to update all the programs in the Creative Cloud last night.  After they'd all be installed, the problem disappeared