2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 1:58 AM by Roei Tzoref

Simple AE Rotation

Kirbstar Level 1

Hi there,

I want to rotate a line however when I go into rotation in transform the anchor point seems to be not on the line but somewhere else.
      I want the anchor point to be in the centre of the line so that when I rotate it, the centre of the line doesn't shift. I will post screenshots to show what I mean.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Simple AE Rotation
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have a current release of After Effects you can snap the anchor point to the line by selecting the Anchor Point tool (y) and then drag the anchor point to the line with snapping turned on.

If you want to use the Shape 1>Transform>Rotation property to animate rotation then you'll need to reveal the anchor point controls under Shape 1>Transform and manually adjust the shape transform anchor point to line up with the path.

With either method the goal is to put the Anchor Point of the layer or the anchor point of the shape precisely on the line. You can make some really interesting moves by animating both.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Simple AE Rotation
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

in addition to what Rick wrote, you can also leave snapping off, and use the Cmd/Ctrl key to snap you anchor point to the center or the layer handles. a nifty keyboard shortcut for snapping to the center of the layer content would be Ctrl+Alt+Home. I hit that most of the time when I make closed paths (shape layers or layer masks), or text and maybe also some other cases.