3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 4:52 AM by gaetanh85297855

Photoshop => Lightroom

gaetanh85297855 Level 1

Hello Everyone !

I have a question :

I send picture to Photoshop to make retouching , after retouching , i come back with my picture to LIghtroom and i give colour nomination to final Pictures.

i have many folder of my client . I see today , each final picture come back to lightroom is a TIFF and make approx 970 MB size ....

It is bigger file . is it normal ??

now i want make a copy of my catalog , but all catalog is too big to copy on my HDD ok 1TB ....

thanks to your help

• 1. Re: Photoshop => Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

I send picture to Photoshop to make retouching , after retouching , i come back with my picture to LIghtroom and i give colour nomination to final Pictures.

i have many folder of my client . I see today , each final picture come back to lightroom is a TIFF and make approx 970 MB size ....

It is bigger file . is it normal ??

Bigger? Bigger than what? What was the size originally? What kind of file was it originally? What did you do in Photoshop?

Yes, bigger is possible. Should that happen in your case? You have to answer the questions I asked.

now i want make a copy of my catalog , but all catalog is too big to copy on my HDD ok 1TB ....

You want to make a BACKUP, not a copy, using the built-in Lightroom backup feature. You have to store the backup on a different physical disk.

• 2. Re: Photoshop => Lightroom
            richardplondon Level 4

It may be that you have not selected a compressed TIFF format. This can be lossless (no reduction in quality, only in the saved file size).

The bit-depth (8-bit, 16-bit and even more so 32-bit) is relevant here.

Also the file size of the TIFF will be affected by any layers you add inside Photoshop. Furthermore any layered file will include an additional "compatibility preview" bitmap which is as large again, as your starting flat file is.

That said, there are some methods / tactics of working in PS which are much less file efficient than others.

For example: if you duplicate your image layer and then apply an adjustment to that, and then mask which areas of the picture should show this adjusted appearance, and with what blending - you have just doubled that pixel data being stored in the file.

If you instead make an adjustment layer which applies the same adjustment, and mask THAT and set the blending in the same way - you have not doubled that pixel data.

• 3. Re: Photoshop => Lightroom
              gaetanh85297855 Level 1

Merci bcp !