7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 6:18 AM by Derek Cross

Creative Cloud TOC generation changes compared to CS6.

simonray51

Hi everyone,

I've been making epubs since Cs2 [!!].

I've recently upgraded to CC and there's an annoying change that's not working now compared to in Cs6.

I create a periodical every 2 months, which gets printed and then I make a new version to become an epub.

Most of the days start with a date in a paragraph style. There are some feature pages that I use a graphic header for, [that is a group of objects including the title in a set font]. This was anchored into the text and given it's own paragraph style 'feature heading' that was included in my TOC style.

This used to export fine in Cs6 – although the TOC entry was empty at least it was present and I would break into my epub to find the TOC file and add the text into the correct pace.

Now in CC the feature heading entries do not feature at all in my TOC, just all the dates.

I'm exporting as an epub 2 reflowable [we have a 1st generation ipad that we do the checking on]

Is there a new feature or setting somewhere I'm missing?

Thanks

Simon

• 1. Re: Creative Cloud TOC generation changes compared to CS6.
          Derek Cross Level 6

When you state you upgraded to CC, do you mean CC2015.4?

It's recommended by most experts that you export to ePub 3.

Are you creating a Reflowable Text ePub or a Fixed Layout ePub?

• 2. Re: Creative Cloud TOC generation changes compared to CS6.
            simonray51 Level 1

Yep, latest CC2015.4

I know epub 3 is the latest but this was working for me last month as epub 2 in CS6.

I'm making a reflowable text epub.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Creative Cloud TOC generation changes compared to CS6.
              Derek Cross Level 6

I'd recommend FlightDeck for validating your ePubs: FlightDeck

• 4. Re: Creative Cloud TOC generation changes compared to CS6.
                simonray51 Level 1

Hi Derek,

We use epub-checker from pagina to validate our epubs. We work with an editorial team who proof the epubs on the ipad to make sure no funny business has occurred during the epub generation.

I've now been playing around a bit more.

If I export as epub3 it still doesn't included the 'feature heading' graphics as entries in the TOC.

If I add any text eg a period [.] before or after the graphic in the 'feature heading' paragraph then it DOES WORK.

So I'm assuming that InDesign will NOW only let you generate a TOC entry using a paragraph style that actually includes some text.

So I will go into my TOC.ncx file and rename the entries as usual, BUT I also now have to go into my .xhtml file to remove the added periods.

Unless anyone can point out a setting or preference I've missed somewhere, or explain why/how Adobe have changed their generating methods?

• 5. Re: Creative Cloud TOC generation changes compared to CS6.
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That shouldn't be the case.

A lot of time opening older files in newer software can cause a few hiccups, there might be an instruction in the data file from the older version that is being interpreted differently in the newer version.

It's common to open the older files in the old software - then export them as IDML and open them in the newer version through the IDML.

Adobe should really make this clearer when opening older version files in the new updated versions.

If that's not an option for you then continue with the IDML route in InDesign new version - for example open the file normally - then Save As and IDML file. Open that and resave it.

If it isn't working then please test your file on another computer running the Same Adobe CC version.

If you can please submit your file here or PM one of us ACPs your files to check if this bug is consistent.

At this stage you should file a Bug Report Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Are you still able to work in the Previous Version of InDesign? If so - I'd recommend keeping this going in this version until you can resolve.

• 6. Re: Creative Cloud TOC generation changes compared to CS6.
                    simonray51 Level 1

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the tips.

I've now gone and tried the following:

• Exporting current version [Nov16 in CC] to IDML, reopening it in CC.

• Exporting current version [Nov16 in CC] to IDML, reopening it in CC on a different computer.

• Copying text out of current version [Nov16 in CC] and pasting in a brand new CC doc.

• Copying text out of current version [Nov16 in CC] and pasting in a brand new CC doc and opening on different computer.

• Exporting previous version [Sep16 in CS6] and reopening it in CC.

• Exporting previous version [Sep16 in CS6] and reopening it in CC on a different computer.

All no change.

I'll PM you a cut down version of a CC file, which I've then exported as IDML and opened in CS6. Doesn't work from CC but does work in CS6

• 7. Re: Creative Cloud TOC generation changes compared to CS6.
                      Derek Cross Level 6

I think if you validated your ePub with FlightDeck you might be surprised at the errors it throws up.