2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 3:15 PM by chirrchirr

Workflow for moving photos off cloud

chirrchirr Level 1

Hey everyone,

I've been using Lightroom Mobile for a number of years and I'm still working on honing my technique for efficiently moving files from the Cloud to Desktop I have auto import from the camera roll enabled on all my iOS devices and what I typically do is move files directly from the device folder in the folder pane directly to the folders on my local desktop catalog. In the end, the device folders are empty, and the photos are locally stored. What i've noticed, however, is that doesn't eliminate the photos as synced photos, and right now I have a large asymmetry between the collections I have synced between Lightroom Mobile – a handful of a couple hundred photos – and the "All Synced Photographs," which is nearing 7000 photos.

My ideal is to only have the "All Synced Photographs" to actually reflect the photos I have synced with Lightroom Mobile collections. Does anyone have a suggested solution to? I've thought that maybe I should just stop syncing the lightroom collections and use the "Delete all data" command from the preferences on desktop and then resync the collections to Lightroom.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot,

Quin

• 1. Re: Workflow for moving photos off cloud
          28axmelissarios Adobe Employee

Hey chirrchirr,

I understood part of your situation up until this part:

"...what I typically do is move files directly from the device folder in the folder pane directly to the folders on my local desktop catalog. In the end, the device folders are empty, and the photos are locally stored. What i've noticed, however, is that doesn't eliminate the photos as synced photos, and right now I have a large asymmetry between the collections I have synced between Lightroom Mobile – a handful of a couple hundred photos – and the "All Synced Photographs," which is nearing 7000 photos."

Can you rephrase this or clarify your current process? I just want to make sure I'm understanding the situation correctly to help you.

Thanks,

Melissa

• 2. Re: Workflow for moving photos off cloud
            chirrchirr Level 1

Hey, Melissa,

Maybe easier to illustrate.

Here is what is actually displayed on my devices:

Screenshot at Sep 21 15-07-13.png

My workflow is to move photos off these device folders directly into my local photo library on Lightroom Desktop. These folders are pretty regularly pared down to zero. Here is the list of synced photographs I have in lightroom - on Lightroom mobile and on desktop when I am signed in with my Adobe ID.

Screenshot at Sep 21 15-06-37.png

I don't want 6000+ photos synced via lightroom. Instead i want to use lightroom mainly as a passthrough to automatically upload my photos/videos from my various iOS devices camera rolls – and sync selective collections over.

Screenshot at Sep 21 15-07-53.png

Those photo collections under "From lr mobile" don't match the "All Synced Photographs" above. Neither does it match the collections – or device folders that I have displayed.

What i'm looking for is a regular workflow in which "All Synced Photos" matches only what is synced via collections and devices, and nothing else. What it looks like to me is that lightroom continues to store thousands of my photos long after I moved them off the cloud and into my local backup. The "from Lr mobile" collections are actually referencing locally sourced files.

Which leads me to this:Screenshot at Sep 21 15-07-36.png

What does "delete all data" mean? If I temporarily stop syncing my "From Lr mobile" collections and then flush all the data using the "Delete All Data" button, and then resync the collections, will this get me to where I want?

thanks for your time,

Quin