5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 9:57 AM by Roei Tzoref

Earth zoom problem.

robeloto

I am on software of Adobe After effects CC 2015 version 13.5.0.347. I am having problems when following the earth zoom tutorial by Andrew Kramer at Video copilot. I have the same problem as the guy in this thread: Zooming into Earth

The first layers I have is pictures from inside a chimney. I want the zoom to begin at the bottom of the chimney and things are going fine until I reach the point where I have to unparent all the layers and assign every layer but number 1 to layer number 1.

[QUOTE]

after making sure all layers have NO PARENT, he then assigns all layer (excluding the first) to have the first layer as a parent. He then adds a keyframe and scales.

As soon as I add the scale keyframe, all of the layers below no longer appear, and when i move the slider along the timeline, it simply zooms in and out of Layer 1.

[/QUOTE]

Layer 1 becomes really huge and all I can see while moving the slider is Layer number 1 and the earth in the background. If I do not use the chimney pictures and only screenshots from google earth, it works perfectly. Why?

Note: I have done this before and it did work really fine, but that was on an old version.

• 1. Re: Earth zoom problem.
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          CC 2015 version 13.5.0.347.

your version is not the updated release. you should first update to the latest or the release so you can be sure this is not a bug related to 13.5 or 13.6. the latest update for the CC2015 release is 13.7.1 on Win, 13.7.2 on Mac

if you still have more problems, you should try to also send some screenshots to illustrate so we can actually see what is wrong - it will be easier to help you this way.

• 2. Re: Earth zoom problem.
            robeloto Level 1

I have updated to 13.71 now, but still the same problem.Untitled-1.jpg

• 3. Re: Earth zoom problem.
              Layer 1 becomes really huge and all I can see while moving the slider is Layer number 1 and the earth in the background. If I do not use the chimney pictures and only screenshots from google earth, it works perfectly. Why?

you should isolate the problem. we can't really tell how exactly are you following this exact technique. for one thing, I noticed your 1st layer is for some reason with different scale parameters. if it's the first layer it should be with the default transform values (100% scale, 0 degrees rotation), yours is different. maybe it's after you changed this manually when the problem was already there.

Andrew Kramer provided the project file: VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals so you can download and compare. if you still can't figure out what's wrong, I would suggest you upload your project file (just the Aep) to this thread and we can look at it. upload the before - where everything is still  right before the adding of the keyframes that messes it up.

• 5. Re: Earth zoom problem.

This was interesting! thank you for the challenge. I actually learned something new today

the problem is that you are parenting to a 0% scale layer - S01.jpg. you can't do that because when you use parenting, Ae does some inner calculations for the parenting relationship to work. in this case it is scale values, and dividing or multiplying by 0 will be 0. all the layers are turning 0% scale right when you parent them to a 0% scale layer.

you have another problem - for some reason the X and Y scale of the first layer (the one you are suppose to parent to) is not the same:

this will cause you more problems when you parent other layers to it.

What you can do is this:

1. create a null

2. copy the first layer's position (S01.JPG) to the null - now the null is in the exact same place as the first layer

3. change the null's scale to 0.1%

4. parent all layers to the null

5. scale the null for your animation and proceed as planned.

more detailed information on how you got in this mess:

I am looking at your setup and it's not like Andrew's. here's Andrew's setup:

the top most layer is 100% and all the others are ascending in scale.

this is yours:

the top most is 0% and the others are ascending in scale.

so the problem is that you are parenting to a 0% layer. parenting usually does a good job hiding what it's doing under the hood, but when it comes to scale, you could find cases where it's just lost at the math calculations for it to work: 0% is one case when it actually fails, non uniform scale would be the other when it will distort your child. when you are parenting, under the hood after effects does some math. well, not quite under the hood - you can actually see it, though your layers will appear as normal.

let's take these two layers: both at 100% scale

now parent Layer 2 to Layer 1 - what do you get?

scale values look the same. now let's cancel the parent and change layer 1 to 10% scale

now same as before let's parent Layer 2 to Layer 1

wait what? 1000%?  that's just the internal wiring of the layers for the parent feature to work. Ae does some math here. but what happens when you divide or multiply by 0... ? you get 0. that's why your layers disappeared. CASE CLOSED!

1 person found this helpful