2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 3:30 PM by Rick Gerard

Going from a smooth curve to a corner point [CC]

jmarki88

I am trying to make a path in After Effects. and I want to create a corner point after a smooth curve that was generated by pulling the handles. I know that there is a way to do this in Illustrator just by double-clicking on the vertex created after pulling the handles, and this allows you to create a straight line out of the vertex instead of it trying to make a smooth curve. Is there any way to do this in After Effects? Sorry if I'm not describing the situation perfectly, I'm not particularly clear on a lot of the terminology surrounding this.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Going from a smooth curve to a corner point [CC]
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

in Illustrator using the Anchor point tool you can change from bezier to linear path by clicking once. in Ae and Ps, Ctrl/Cmd+Alt and clicking on the point will change your vertex from Bezier to Linear and vice verse. here's a tutorial by our tribe elder Rick Gerard demonstrating path manipulation techniques in Ae:

• 2. Re: Going from a smooth curve to a corner point [CC]
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Edit your curves with the pen tool selected (g) and the modifier keys. It's a little different than Illustrator but just about as effective. You just have to pay attention to the cursor as you press modifier keys.

Holding down the Alt/Option key with the pen tool selected will bring up the Convert tool when you hover over a vertex. Clicking with the convert point will snap the vertex to a corner.

Watch this for more examples: