11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 6:17 AM by PVC-Dave

Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!

PVC-Dave Level 1

Suddenly, I can no longer Export to PDF and select one of several Adobe PDF Presets.  That feature, which I use daily for many many years, just disappeared this morning.  I worked with support for 35 minutes trying to fix the problem, only to be told that is was removed today and that you have to print to a PostScript File and then distill the file.  What?  I wasted half an hour with Support, downloading some file that did nothing, then they give me this BS workaround that I already knew about?!?!?   And the Export to PDF still works, just without the convenient presets, so even Support has no clue what they are talking about. 

Why wouldn't Adobe just tell me that they took away the feature, instead of pretending that they were going to help me and wasting my time.  I tried to get more information, but the chat person just disconnected me.  Arrrggghhhh!! 

• 1. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That's absolute nonsense.

Do you see the presets if you go to File > Adobe PDF Presets...?

Do you see them if you go to File > Export ... and change the "type" dropdown to Adobe PDF (Print)?

• 2. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!
            PVC-Dave Level 1

Nope, all presets went away. 

• 3. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!

Do you see them if you log onto the Mac using a different user acct?

Do you have a Time machine backup with the presets where they belong?

• 4. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!
                Derek Cross Level 6

And please confirm InDesign version and OS.

• 5. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!
                  PVC-Dave Level 1

I can try logging in as a different user. 

I have no idea how to get them from a Time Machine Backup other than reset my entire machine and hope.

The first support (chat) told me that the program was updated and the presents were removed, and that the ONLY way to create a PDF was to print to a PS and use Distiller.  Here is the transcript:

Viplove: This is not a Problem , this Feature is already removed for MAC .

David Schneider: WHAT?!?!??

David Schneider: You mean to tell me that the option to select different PDF presets was simply removed?

Viplove: Yes , this feature is only in Windows computer ADODE PDF in Printer option .

I have checked other computers, and the feature is still there so he is full of BS. 

I called support, and they insisted on sharing my screen, which DOES NOT WORK on Safari, Chrome or Firefox.  Why would Adobe not have a functioning screen share?  I tried at least 8 times, and could not share my screen and the support people have no clue other than "try again sir".  Completely useless!

So I am still no closer to an answer.  All I want is the presets that CAME WITH InDesign: smallest file size, press quality, etc.  You'd think that they would be in a folder somewhere that you could just download them, or grab them from TimeMachine.  But no one in support has any clue, and I can't find anything in any forum online that applies to Creative Cloud 2015. 

• 6. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!
                    PVC-Dave Level 1

I am on a MacBook Pro 2015 running OS Sierra.  (The presets were for several days after the update to Sierra, so I know that is not it.)  I am on the latest version of InDesign CC. 

• 7. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!

The option to PRINT to PDF on mac has been dead for several versions of OSX, but that has nothing at all to do with either presets or the ability to EXPORT to PDF. That rep is an idiot and should be fired.

Upgrading an OS can have bad effects on installed software, particularly Adobe products, and especially if you do an in-place upgrade instead of a clean install (which would require a clean install of the applications as well. You probably need to reinstall InDesign.

• 8. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!
                        PVC-Dave Level 1

"Upgrading an OS can have bad effects on installed software, particularly Adobe products, and especially if you do an in-place upgrade instead of a clean install (which would require a clean install of the applications as well. You probably need to reinstall InDesign."

THAT makes sense and is something that I can easily do!

• 9. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!
                          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Did you install your InDesign via TimeMachine or other Migration? This is not possible. You cannot install any single Adobe Application via Migration. The only way that works is to use Adobe's original installer.

Sierra is also so new, I would recommend to wait on any production computer until you know from other users that no bigger problems come up, like yours.

• 10. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!
                            Danny Whitehead. Level 4

PVC-Dave wrote:

Viplove: This is not a Problem , this Feature is already removed for MAC .

David Schneider: WHAT?!?!??

David Schneider: You mean to tell me that the option to select different PDF presets was simply removed?

Viplove: Yes , this feature is only in Windows computer ADODE PDF in Printer option .

That looks like a communication failure. The opposite of what you concluded is true - it's the printing to PDF feature that no longer exists in OS X, not the export feature.

The standard Adobe presets should be located in Macintosh HD (or whatever your boot drive is)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF. Are they present on your Mac?

I still suspect Sierra has a hand in this, and would agree that it's a little cavalier to update the OS on a production machine on release day. I'm updating my laptop as we speak, and will try it for at least a month before I consider updating my main work machine.

• 11. Re: Adobe PDF Presets Removed from Mac Today!
                              PVC-Dave Level 1

I have been on Sierra for a while, and I operate more than one machine, so I am sure that this error was isolated to one machine and not affected because of an upgrade. 

The clip from the chat was only one small section of a 40 minute conversation, I was very clear about the problem that I was having.  The tech simply did not have sufficient product knowledge.

Peter Spierhad the right answer, simply uninstall the App and then re-install.  All of the default settings are right back where they belong.  Quick and Easy. 

I still think that these defaults should be in a file somewhere, available for download from Adobe.  Can't be THAT difficult.