5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 9:28 AM by Theresa J

Catalog management - Exporting folders as catalogs

Zone_99 Level 1

Hi,

I read recently that having a large catalog can cause slowdowns in Lightroom.  My catalog contains all my pictures from 2001 and forward (according to LR about 34K pictures).

After reading the article and noticing how slow LR is to get going and shut down, I've been wondering if is should do this and split my catalog by years. 

I have no problem exporting a year as a catalog (select the year folder, export as catalog, choose a new location with all the negatives/files/etc.) and export.  Some questions though:

• Right now, when I import, I import to an external drive with backups to a second drive - when I export, I'm exporting everything including the pictures which then puts them in the new location.  Is that what I want?  I want to maintain the pictures on the external drive for backup and storage and not having it my internal drive so as long as I don't export the negative files I'm good, correct?
      • When I've done this and exported by years, how do I best clean up the current catalog?  Or do I not bother and just export this year as a catalog and continue to work in that?

Thoughts, comments, laughter?

thanks!

• 1. Re: Catalog management - Exporting folders as catalogs
          Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

You don't have to export the originals. You can export a year folder to a new catalog, and leave the images where they reside. If you decide to break up your catalog, this is how you should do it. you won't end up with image duplicates this way. Maybe try it with one year, and then test out your theory of speeding things up. I'm not convinced that it's worth it though.  Especially if you regularly search your entire catalog for images.

• 2. Re: Catalog management - Exporting folders as catalogs
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Zone_99 wrote:

Hi,

I read recently that having a large catalog can cause slowdowns in Lightroom.

Not true. Please post a link to that article.

No need to export years as a catalog. Although I don't have as many images in my catalog I do have them from 2006 and scans of many film negatives and slides for many years ago.

I don't see any slow down in LR or any other program. But then I run a very clean system.

Take a look at what is actually starting with your system.

What exact type of system are you using, Mac or Windows?

• 3. Re: Catalog management - Exporting folders as catalogs
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Echoing other comments, 34K is nothing (I regularly work with a catalogue with over 650k) and in general I wouldn't recommend fragmenting control of your pictures as you are doing.

Optimise your catalogue, and look at Adobe's advice Optimising Performance and Suggestions to improve Lightroom performance .

John

• 4. Re: Catalog management - Exporting folders as catalogs
                dj_paige Level 9

I read recently that having a large catalog can cause slowdowns in Lightroom.

Completely untrue!

After reading the article and noticing how slow LR is to get going and shut down

If your Lightroom is slow, there are probably a dozen possible reasons. Catalog size is not one of them. The solution is to find out why your Lightroom is slow and then fix it. Please state exactly which actions in Lightroom are slow.

I've been wondering if is should do this and split my catalog by years.

This is the worst possible solution to your problem. Not only will it not solve the problem, it is a lot of work that doesn't help and it effectively destroys the benefits of having a catalog in the first place.

• 5. Re: Catalog management - Exporting folders as catalogs
                  Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

Zone,

I will echo what everyone else has said here. You shouldn't have to break up your catalog. I don't recommend doing so. I have 30,000 images in mine and it continues to grow weekly. I have no plans of ever breaking it down into multiple catalogs.

BUT if you decide to split yours up regardless of our advice, just know that you don't have to (and shouldn't) export the originals.

Theresa