2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 2:25 PM by scotte57842618

Character Animator: How to link layers?

scotte57842618 Level 1

How can you link layers so they move more uniformly?

At the moment the eyebrows on my character are a bit too independent. Is there a way I can lock them together without just making them one single layer?

• 1. Re: Character Animator: How to link layers?
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

If you want them to move the same, I'd definitely make one layer. I've seen that done in several example puppets and it looks pretty good. It's more rare that cartoon characters' eyebrows shift to different vertical positions except for a quizzical one arched eyebrow look.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you could also add a second face behavior on a second eyebrow and tag it also as left eyebrow, so you would be controlling both eyebrows with one.  Every face view is looking for one instance of left eyebrow and right eyebrow, but adding an extra behavior/view should allow you to have more than one left eyebrow on a given face.

You can also play around with the eyebrow strength parameter in the right properties under Face if it feels like the movement is too strong.

• 2. Re: Character Animator: How to link layers?
            scotte57842618 Level 1

Ha, I've just finished watching your September video which basically answered this question. Great videos by the way, I am soooo impressed with this software, so much potential!