5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 3:21 AM by MeMyself69

Time Duration has a gap?

MeMyself69

Have been trying to make a short loop but can't set the duration.  In playing around I've noticed that in After Effects and Premiere Pro (haven't tried any other adobe products) my time indicator jumps from about 05:24ish to 06:00ish going from frame to frame. I've rebooted.  It has happed before and I just gave up but noticed the problem this time.  I don't think it is computer specific (Windows 10) but I may be wrong. For example…I was trying to time stretch a layer to a specific time (05:59).  It comes out 06:29.  I even changed the comp to 05:59 and it comes out 06:29.  I opened an old project in Premiere Pro and went frame by frame and it jumps from 05:24 to 06:00. Soooo…help!!

• 1. Re: Time Duration has a gap?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Double-check your frame rates.  There's a mismatch somewhere in your workflow.

• 2. Re: Time Duration has a gap?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are looking at timecode and the frame rate is 25 frames per second. You are asking for a frame rate that is 30 frames per second. Check composition settings. Do a little research on time code. Pay particular attention to how DropFrame timecode works if you use footage or make compositions for use in the US using 29.97 or 23.976 frame rates. The frame numbers are dropped to keep the time indication accurate but no frames are dropped.

• 3. Re: Time Duration has a gap?
              MeMyself69 Level 1

Sorry for slow response.  Had to go out of town for work.  The footage is 30fps.  I've tried changing it to 29.97, 23.976, and 25 but it still jumps ahead at around the same time.  Haven't had time to research time code.  Hopefully there is a good youtube tutorial out there.  Tough program to learn yourself.  I can do some amazing things then it trips me up with something simple.

• 4. Re: Time Duration has a gap?
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                I opened an old project in Premiere Pro and went frame by frame and it jumps from 05:24 to 06:00.

my time indicator jumps from about 05:24ish to 06:00ish going from frame to frame.

yep, that's the way it's supposed to be. here you are looking at time code of 25fps - it means that every 25 frames, a second passes. so 05:25 is 06:00.

I was trying to time stretch a layer to a specific time (05:59).  It comes out 06:29.

you should stretch it to 05:24 if it's 25fps, 05:29 if it's 30fps etc..

The footage is 30fps.  I've tried changing it to 29.97, 23.976, and 25 but it still jumps ahead at around the same time.

it means that 05:30 = 6 seconds.

001.gif

you'll figure it out

• 5. Re: Time Duration has a gap?
                  MeMyself69 Level 1

Thanks I understand a bit better now.  Will still have to do some more research suggested.