8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 11:43 PM by mungozan

Lightroom import Target folders missing

nigelv28814485

I normally import from my CF flash card and choose a target folder on my external hard drive for destination.

I start every new job with a new catalogue.

But just recently, the destination folder option on the right has gone.

Any one know why?

I RUN LIGHTROOM CC ON IMAC 27.

RGDS NIGEL.

• 1. Re: Lightroom import Target folders missing
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi nigelv,

You must have selected the " Add" option from the top menu, please select move or copy to select the destination folder on the import window.

Refer the below Screenshot.

Import in Lr.png

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: Lightroom import Target folders missing
            Jim Wilde Level 5

If Nigel is importing from a CF card, as he suggests, then "Add" would not be an available import option.

Nigel, in the Import window, with "Copy" selected, right-click on the header of the "File Handling" panel and in the resulting context menu put a check mark against the "Destination" entry. If it's already selected, you'll need to post a screenshot of the import window so that we can figure out what else could be the problem.

Also, please confirm (via Help>System Info) what version of LR CC you are running.

• 3. Re: Lightroom import Target folders missing
              nigelv28814485 Level 1

MANY THANKS. WORKED A TREAT.

Rgds Nigel.

• 4. Re: Lightroom import Target folders missing
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
                I start every new job with a new catalogue.

There is no advantage to working with multiple catalogs, you are only making your work more complicated and difficult.

You can organize your photos with keywords and collections (and more), and assuming you put every job in its own folder, you can use the Folders panel to select the correct job.

You can merge all your catalogs into one by going to File > Import from another catalog, and import all your catalogs one by one into the current catalog.

• 5. Re: Lightroom import Target folders missing
                  Redapple

Hi PER

I use the catalogue per job because I take about 1,000 images each job. When I started using LR I used 1 cat and the folder route but found it got very slow. Also once I complete a job I then archive it off to another backup hard drive. I shoot raw and the files are 25mb per image.

NV

• 6. Re: Lightroom import Target folders missing
                    elie_di Level 3

"I use the catalogue per job because I take about 1,000 images each job."

Only 1,000? My catalog is more than 50,000 Raw files and I haven't seen any slowing. Some people have catalogs with 500,000. Lightroom was designed to work best with one catalog - for instance, what do you do if you need images from ten different jobs and you want to group them together to be available for comparisons, alternate treatments, crops, print layouts, etc. You will be constantly launching LR, relaunching, relaunching, relaunching......

"Also once I complete a job I then archive it off to another backup hard drive."

Within a single catalog the photo files, Raw or otherwise, can be on a dozen different drives.

• 7. Re: Lightroom import Target folders missing
                      Redapple Level 1

Thanks for your comment.

I work mainly in the school nursery and education field. By keeping a separate catalogue for each job I can make sure that no child photos from one school can end up in another school. in the passed I did just have one catalogue which got corrupted and I had to  open the catalogue and create a new one. This also happened with Apple Aperture.

NV

• 8. Re: Lightroom import Target folders missing
                        mungozan Level 1

Actually there is a reason to split between different catalogs: amount of photos. I get 20-30k a year and it would make absolutely no sense having them all inside a single catalog. It would only result into slow-downs, hickups, excess use of space for previews, etc. But whatever works for you is good for you.

Just my .02€