2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 6:06 AM by Per Berntsen

What to do when there is no detail in the sky?

southwestform Level 1

i have a portrait outside where the subject looks good, and the background is blurred at f2.8 though there is no detail in the sky area.

1. Is my only option to use an adjustment brush on the sky and try to adjust some settings?

2. for portraits, is it acceptable from a photography standpoint to not have detail in the sky? Is this ever a good thing?

3. Do you ever bring a photo like this into photoshop to insert a different sky photo to replace the existing one?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: What to do when there is no detail in the sky?
          dj_paige Level 9

southwestform wrote:

i have a portrait outside where the subject looks good, and the background is blurred at f2.8 though there is no detail in the sky area.

1. Is my only option to use an adjustment brush on the sky and try to adjust some settings?

2. for portraits, is it acceptable from a photography standpoint to not have detail in the sky? Is this ever a good thing?

3. Do you ever bring a photo like this into photoshop to insert a different sky photo to replace the existing one?

Thanks.

1. I wouldn't use the adjustment brush on a sky with no detail

2. I don't know, I suppose it's a matter of personal taste

3. Yes, Photoshop is the way to go if you want detail in the sky

• 2. Re: What to do when there is no detail in the sky?
            Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

If this is a raw file, and the sky is not too overexposed, you can retrieve some highlight detail by dragging the Highlights slider to the left. This can be done as a global adjustment, or possibly with a graduated filter.